Puerto Rico MD schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdstu02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on Puerto Rico MD schools? Is it a struggle to find good residency positions after graduating? Do they have good USMLE pass rates?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you have to be a PR resident, at least for UPR. You must be bilingual in Spanish and English. Ponce might accept "OOS," not sure about UCC.

Keep in mind that PR is part of the United States, so the PR med schools are not included in the "Caribbean" classification. They are LCME accredited and are considered US MD schools, their graduates are not FMG/IMG.

Members don't see this ad :)
itd be sick to go to school in puerto rico. it's like the caribbean but legitimate.

Have you ever been to Puerto Rico? Outside of the tourist/resort areas, which you would not be frequenting while in med school, the violent crime rate is quite high. It's not paradise.

Reactions: 1 user
The University of Puerto Rico SOM does not accept OOS students. PSM, UCC and SJB do. You should check the MSAR for information on how many applied and how many actually got in. I would suspect the ones that were admitted into Ponce at least had taken a course in Spanish. See the May/June Newsletter for 2014 to see the Match List: http://www.psm.edu/psmhsnewsletter/

Yes the MSAR would be helpful! I'll definitely look into that.
I'm not from Puerto Rico but I'm Hispanic and fluent in English and Spanish.

I'm from Puerto Rico, you should keep in mind that we're facing the biggest economic crisis in our history.

About the schools, all of them are really good with great passing rates in the USMLE. Like most med school, some of the best students are matching in competitive and prestigious specialties in the mainland.

I would recommend to be fluent in Spanish but if you're not, don't worry because a great portion of the med students in these schools are bilingual and can make the transition easier.

Does anyone have information on Puerto Rico MD schools? Is it a struggle to find good residency positions after graduating? Do they have good USMLE pass rates?
I heard UCC and SJB have 90+% first time passing rate (sources: UCC website and a 4th year student at SJB)... I don't think you should have issue finding residency if you pass your board since these are US school... Like some of the previous posters said, I believe you have to be bilingual in order to get admitted to these schools. FWIW, I know a MS-II who declined a DO acceptance and went to UCC. Last time I talked to him, he was happy that he made that choice...

Last edited:
What kind of stats are considered competitive there? As far as MCAT and gpa?

@Mdstu02 I'm not sure, but I would think for OOS MCAT 27+ and GPA 3.8+. The GPA could be lower, but I don't think with the MCAT they would be too flexible.

For PR residents, you might need 3.4+ c/sGPA and 24 MCAT... If not, 3.5+ c/sGPA and 26+ MCAT should be ok for UCC/SJB/Ponce... I am saying that based on what that 4th year student told me...

Last edited: