Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Puerto Rico Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. Don, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Which one of the puerto rico schools is the one that takes out of state residents and also which one is recognized by AAMC, meaning that upon graduating I won't have to take any extra exams to practice in the state (if I get accepted and choose to go there), thanks for the info,

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member

Do you speak Spanish fluently? You need to to go to any of them. This isn't the mainland! Ponce gives high preference to Puerto Ricans and UPR appears to require it... Still checking on Universidad Central del Caribe

4. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey none, yes I speak spanish fluently, thanks for the info, so which is the best puerto rican school to apply to as an out of state resident?

5. afilerman

afilerman Junior Member

You can forget about UPR if you're not from there. It's basically a state school. The other schools on the island are private.

6. adamant

adamant Senior Member

Of the three schools only Ponce and Caribe take out of state residents. I would apply to both but Ponce is definitely the better of the two. I was accepted to both and picked Ponce in a second. You'll see a huge difference if you visit the schools. Both are LCME accredited but Caribe has ahad more problems in the past with its accreditation. Ponce was just reviewed last year and got a 7 year unrestricted accreditation.
    You don't have to be 100% fluent in Spanish to be accepted, if you have good conversational Spanish that is enough. Everything official is in English; tests, quizzes, handouts, labs, discussions etc. The only Spanish you need in the first 2 years is to understand the professors, most speak Spanish although there are a large # of American professors in the Biochem and Physiology departments.
    All in all I have been very happy with Ponce. It is a friendly, laid back school but also prepares you very well for the boards and for residency. Last years class had quite a few students that rocked step 1 with cores over 150.
    If you have any questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Good luck,
    Adam