Puerto Rico????

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by spyyder31, Jun 27, 2001.

1. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member

What's the story with the medical schools in Puerto Rico? Are there any over there that use english in the classroom/are any of the schools over there any good?? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stephen Ewen

All of them are bilingual. One prof will do Spanish, another English.

Of the four med schools there, three are LCME (= US or Canadian accreditation); one, San Juan Bautista, is not.

I think they are all excellent in their own rite.

4. jue

jue Junior Member

hey do any of you guys know if puerto rican med schools accept transfer students and if so which ones, i've been trying to get in contact with universidad central del caribe but they haven't responded to any of my e-mails.

5. gower

gower 1K Member

Three of the four schools in Puerto Rico are accredited US medical schools. They are:

U. Puerto Rico which accepts only island residents.

Ponce School of Medicine: "Candidates who do not have a functional knowledge of both English and Spanish are not encouraged to apply." 12 credits of English, 6 credits of Spanish are required for admission. Otherwise, usual admssion equirements. Stats for class that entered in 2000: mean GPA, 3.33 (100% above 3.0); 49% female, 56% from PR, 44% from continental US.

Universidad Central del Caribe SOM
    Bilingual, English (12 credits and Spanish (6 credits), uusual science + 6 credits college math. Class size: 60. entering class 2000: 51 PR, 9 other US states. Mean GPA: 3.3; 53% female.

The other school on PR is not accredited except by PR. Graduates inelegible for US licensure, only PR licensure.

6. gower

gower 1K Member

Caribe: 787 740 1611 ext 210
    FAX: 787 269 7750
    web site: www.ucaribe.edu

7. Stephen Ewen

Last I know, U of PR will accept a few non-PRs. Anyone'd have to just check it out.

Grads of SJB may obtain ECFMG certification as any other IMG.

Jue, I know they will all accept a few transfers, mostly PRs which have gone to schools aborad that are approved by the PR Board for licensure (e.g. U Autonoma Guad, U del Noreste, Tampico, MX). It can't hurt to try, but you will need Spanish regardless.

8. Mig2x

Mig2x Member

SJB graduates can apply to residency programs in the US through the NRMP. Last February a statement was added to th NRMP policies to become a candidate where it states that students of US school not accredited by the LCME ( which i think SJB is the only one) can participate in the NRMP by showing a "notarize" copy of License to practice medicine in a US jurisdiction, in this case PR. So students of SJB all they have to do is pass the exam to become doctors in PR and take the USMLE and they can participate in the NRMP.

9. Stephen Ewen

Thanks for the update! But doesn't licensure in PR require doing a year-long internship there, which is required for the license?

10. gower

gower 1K Member

The 2002-2003, the latest, edition of the MSAR, shows for UPR on page 203, that 293 island residents applied for the class of 2000-2001; 132 were interviewed, 115 were in the first-year class. 447 non-island residents applied, none were interviewed, 0 in class.

About San Juan Bautista. To be licensed in the USA a physician MUST be a graduate of a medical school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools. Each nation is asked by WHO to list the recognized medical schools.
    UPR, Ponce and Caribe are included in the US listing. I haven't seen an edition of the World Directory for years. If SJB is listed under the aegis of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, graduates could qualify; if not, licensure in the US should not be possible. Is there a listing?

11. dwstranger

dwstranger Senior Member

Nobody's specifically mentioned Ponce. I know that a bunch of people from here (UAG) have transferred there. But they are all placed back into the second year, even if they're about to start fourth when they transfer.

Also, on Ponce vs. UPR. UPR is a state school, which would explain why non-islanders don't get in. Ponce is private, and they accept many more non-islanders.

Ponce http://www.psm.edu/

12. Mig2x

Mig2x Member

Yep, all four schools in PR are listed in the WHO. About Ponce, here is there page with info about transfers:
    http://www.psm.edu/

about the one year intership thing, it was a law that the past governor of the island eliminated, you dont have to do a 1 year intership, SJB i think is asking there students to do the 1 year intership, dont ask me why because i dont know, that's something i just heard