PUERTO RICOOOOOOOOOOOOO School of Dental Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keliao

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello!...does anyone know about this school.....?

-i can read/write on both but are the classes in Engl or Span?
-will i be able to come back to the US for my own practice?
-are there certain test that i need to take to own my practice in the US while graduated from Puerto Rico?
-wha's the class size?

appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i know....but i meant US as in the mainland....
maybe they'll have some law that dont allow PR's dentistry to be practiced in the mainland unless they pass a certain test...beside de board exam......blalbah..

hello!...does anyone know about this school.....?

-i can read/write on both but are the classes in Engl or Span?
-will i be able to come back to the US for my own practice?
-are there certain test that i need to take to own my practice in the US while graduated from Puerto Rico?
-wha's the class size?

appreciate your help.

1. Puerto Rico classes are taught in Spanish so it would be a good idea to be fluent in that language. However, I heard that there was a student who went there and spoke little to no Spanish and the staff and students were very accommodating. Everyone there is bilingual and can speak English in case you were wondering.

2. The dental school in Puerto Rico is accredited so you don't have to do anything special. It is no different from going to any other dental school in the continental US.

3. I don't know about any special tests. Not to say that there isn't one, but I just don't know.

4. The class size is about 40 students as per the ADEA guide.

Puerto Rico has a pretty inexpensive dental school, both tuition and living expense wise. Their out of state tuition is higher than the in state at many schools. However, you should note that their mission statement entails training dentists who plan to work in Puerto Rico. I don't know how hard they stick to that rule though.

I interviewed at PR and did not like it at all. I am fluent in Spanish/English. The class is taught in Spanish BUT the power points and books are in English. Their admission community is freaking difficult. Torres is kind of a joke.You also need to lie and say you want to stay in Puerto Rico to practice. They Only want to take in staters as well. I think that PR should be your only last resort. I went to have an excuse to visit the area. Cost of living is high, price of cars are super high and importing your own car is super expensive due to the import taxes. Oh yea... a gallon of milk is almost 6 bucks. You HAVE to have 4 semesters of English and 4 of spanish.... HAVE TO. Hope this helps

thank you all for the reply. class in SPan and books in ENGL......mmmmmm...that sucks.

I applied there... Don't waste your money, you'll just end up withdrawing...

how hard is it to get accepted to this school? can you work at US after graduating? do you get any disadvantages?

how hard is it to get accepted to this school? can you work at US after graduating? do you get any disadvantages?

1. What "Crew07" posted is fact, you need 4 quarters of English along with 4 quarters of Spanish. The reason for this is because the books/ppt lectures are in English but the classes are taught in Spanish. Anyone who is considering Puerto Rico probably speaks Spanish and most people who speak Spanish do not take 4 quarters of Spanish as an undergrad. In additon to that most of us take only 3 quarters of English, which means many of us aren't even eligible for acceptance. In addition to that preference is given to PR residents, and remember there are only 40 seats. So yes it is pretty hard to get accepted there, unless you live there...
2. Graduating from this school is like graduating at any other US dental school.
3. Disadvantage is that you have to learn in Spanish, but then this could also be an advantage since many patients (particularly in Southern California) only speak spanish...

thx for the info... not a school for me i guess