Pull my MD apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yankee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my limited SDN experience, I know you hate "chances" threads, but I need advice (mainly for financial reasons).

I have apps into both DO and MD schools with lower stats. My stats are 25R MCAT, 3.50 overall, 3.01 science, white-male english major. 80+ shadowing hours, Division I-baseball, and lots of volunteering (not that impressive, I allready understand). Currently in a post-bac taking some bio grad courses and doing well.

I am verified AMCAS, but I got it done a little late (late August). I am getting secondaries that don't screen, and have 3 DO interviews, but do you guys think that it is worth it to submit MD secondaries based on my stats? Sorry to bother you all with a "chances" thread, but I'm not sure if I will be wasting time / money....

Members don't see this ad.

From my limited SDN experience, I know you hate "chances" threads, but I need advice (mainly for financial reasons).

I have apps into both DO and MD schools with lower stats. My stats are 25R MCAT, 3.50 overall, 3.01 science, white-male english major. 80+ shadowing hours, Division I-baseball, and lots of volunteering (not that impressive, I allready understand). Currently in a post-bac taking some bio grad courses and doing well.

I am verified AMCAS, but I got it done a little late (late August). I am getting secondaries that don't screen, and have 3 DO interviews, but do you guys think that it is worth it to submit MD secondaries based on my stats? Sorry to bother you all with a "chances" thread, but I'm not sure if I will be wasting time / money....

look at it this way. when you are a doctor, you will be making at the very minimum 100k a year. so now the money for secondaries should not really be a hurdle. i say it worth the probable 300-400 extra dollars. you never know what can happen!

Congrats on the DO interviews.

I would suggest holding off on the allopathic schools. MCAT of 25 does not bode well for MD schools and the BCPM of 3.01 is also somthing they can and will pick at. Retake the MCAT and then apply to MD schools. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that since I am in a post-bac it would make the most sense to reapply next year with better MCAT/BMCP, but if I were to get into one of the DO programs it would be tough to turn down an acceptance (and probably look pretty bad). I would undobutedly be a stronger candidate next year baring any major bumps...that's sort of why I was inquiring about chances for this year. Thakns for the advice so far...

I know that since I am in a post-bac it would make the most sense to reapply next year with better MCAT/BMCP, but if I were to get into one of the DO programs it would be tough to turn down an acceptance (and probably look pretty bad). I would undobutedly be a stronger candidate next year baring any major bumps...that's sort of why I was inquiring about chances for this year. Thakns for the advice so far...

saying no to an acceptance is a death sentence for next year. however you have to ask yourself, is an md more important to you? otherwise the longer you wait to aplpy, you could be a doctor sooner earning that 100k paycheck!

If you want medical school this year, go to your DOs. If you want MD, raise your MCAT to at least 28/29, and apply next season. But if I were in your position, I'd take the interviews and run with them. A doctor's a doctor at the end of the day.

saying no to an acceptance is a death sentence for next year. however you have to ask yourself, is an md more important to you? otherwise the longer you wait to aplpy, you could be a doctor sooner earning that 100k paycheck!

When you say death sentence, do you mean for DO schools next year or MD schools. I know turning down acceptances would pretty much give me 0 chance the following year, but do admissions offices talk to eachother?

Thanks again for the feedback so far guys...

When you say death sentence, do you mean for DO schools next year or MD schools. I know turning down acceptances would pretty much give me 0 chance the following year, but do admissions offices talk to eachother?

If you were accepted to a school and decline it, then reapply to that same school next year ... that's bad.

However if you apply, get rejected, improve yourself and reapply --- a lot of schools see that as good. It shows if you've improved yourself and you have an interest in the school, therefore meaning if they offer you an acceptance you'd be more likely to accept.

I THINK That md and do dont talk to each other. but you never know! imagine being in an interview next year and them saying "so you would do anything to be a doctor. then why did you decline an acceptance to become what you have dreamed of?". try and talk your way out of that one!

I THINK That md and do dont talk to each other. but you never know! imagine being in an interview next year and them saying "so you would do anything to be a doctor. then why did you decline an acceptance to become what you have dreamed of?". try and talk your way out of that one!

I've never heard of this situation happening and the likelihood of Adcoms calling up random schools to see if XYZ accepted their acceptance is a little far fetched for me. Fact is, people decline acceptances every year --- I'm sure the Adcoms are use to it.

I've never heard of this situation happening and the likelihood of Adcoms calling up random schools to see if XYZ accepted their acceptance is a little far fetched for me. Fact is, people decline acceptances every year --- I'm sure the Adcoms are use to it.

op. this has happend before. to a friend of my sister. it may not happen often but it does! so be wary! however do what you want to do and take the advice of others with a grain of salt! after all it is your LIFE!

Congrats on the DO interviews.

I would suggest holding off on the allopathic schools. MCAT of 25 does not bode well for MD schools and the BCPM of 3.01 is also somthing they can and will pick at. Retake the MCAT and then apply to MD schools. Good luck.

Agreed with the above advice if you really want MD schools.

But now onto the real reason I wanted to quote Mr. Rayhan......

Rayhan,

you should change your avatar to say you will work for an ACCEPTANCE not Interview again, cuz interview means nothing without the final glory of acceptance. LOL :p :D

Good luck man!!!

Agreed with the above advice if you really want MD schools.

But now onto the real reason I wanted to quote Mr. Rayhan......

Rayhan,

you should change your avatar to say you will work for an ACCEPTANCE not Interview again, cuz interview means nothing without the final glory of acceptance. LOL :p :D

Good luck man!!!

LOL. Yeah, that's true...what's interviews without an acceptance? But, one step at a time, right.

This process sucks more every year.

If you want to do DO, than take the interview and run with it. If you feel uncomfortable with doing a DO, then don't interview, get more courses under your belt, improve your GPA and retake the MCAT, then apply MD. As it stands, your GPA, especially your BCPM, is below what MD schools typically look for.