7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey kids,

I know there are some of you in the same boat:
1. Undergrad doesn't provide committee letter
2. Undergrad doesn't provide letter service (for graduates anyway...) :rolleyes:

So I had my LOR writers send in their letters (I gave them envelopes and stamps and the whole thing) individually. Some are arriving fine and some are getting lost. :eek: Maybe they are in the same place that socks go to in the dryer? Someone should do a thesis on that. You have my permission.

I signed up for Interfolio today, and have asked them all to send in their forms to interfolio so I can request any re-sends. I explained to them that Interfolio is very expensive, which is why we didn't use it for the first copy, but is confidential and quick so I wouldn't have to bother them if a school can't find something.

Anyway. Just thought I would put that out there in case anyone else is in the same boat. If you're wondering it is $15 for a year long membership to interfolio and then $5 a letter sent US Mail, $14 a letter for priority.

I am sure that the letter sent from the source is better, but when they lose them I want to be able to send them ASAP!

Anyone use interfolio and have any comments? Any other ideas? I have been pulling my hair out about these letters!! :p I will NOT look good hairless at interviews.

CavalierMD

Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Status
Pre-Medical
Jackie!
Oh NO!!
I'm sorry you're having an LOR crisis, but Interfolio is so worth it- once your letters are in your portfolio, you are in complete control! A lot of schools accept electronic deliveries from Interfolio (you'll find this out when you "create a delivery")... These cost $4 and are sent out instantaneously... so hopefully that can buy you back some time!

:luck: :luck:

OP
jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Some of my schools are okay, but then some of them are missing a letter here or there. I mean, I could go complete without it, but I WANT all FIVE of my LETTERS DAMMIT to hit the school!

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician
I feel bad for you. Maybe my experience can help you. My school does the letter service thing. So, I asked a lady to write me a letter in Feb. She said she'd mail it to the school by the end of the month. When it still hadn't arrived in mid-Mar, I went and saw her. She promised it would be sent in by the end of Mar. I showed up at the beginning of April, she said she sent it in, but it never got there. She said she'd send it again. At the end of April, I went and saw her again, because it still didn't get there. She said she'd send it again and got the address again. Well, it still wasn't there in May. So, when I called (because I was out-of-state for the summer) I accidentally ended up talking to her boss. He said her behavior was unacceptable and promised me that he'd make sure the letter got sent. It arrived at the school within 1 week.

My theory doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. I don't think she ever got around to it until her boss told her to write the letter. Who knows how good of a letter it is. Anyway, I hope your letters aren't really lost. My advice: check if all the "lost letters" come from the same person or not.

OP
jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The problem is that the letters were sent. They all were given the same set of labels. I think the schools are having a hard time for whatever reason, getting them into my file (oh jebus)...and I don't want to have to keep badgering profs to re-send letters because a school can't file something...also profs have a ton more important things to do than re-send my letter, you know? I am hoping that they will fax/email them into interfolio as soon as they can (this week or next) and then the problem will be solved; I will dispatch the missing letters overnight service to wherever they need to be.

Example:
School 1
Letter A
Letter B
Letter C

School 2
Letter B
Letter C
Letter D

School 3
Letter A
Letter B
Letter D

Tusk

Back in the Game!
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
jackieMD2007 said:
Anyway. Just thought I would put that out there in case anyone else is in the same boat. If you're wondering it is $15 for a year long membership to interfolio and then $5 a letter sent US Mail, $14 a letter for priority.
Actually, the cost is per address, not per letter. So it would be $5 to send via US Mail up to 20 pages of letters to an address.

OP
jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sweet! Even better! Heck, yes. :)

hindu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
My committee will be sending out my packet soon. I wanted to add one more letter of recommendation to my file at each school - would it be alright to give the letter writer 20 envelopes with postage to mail out, or is it best to use a letter-service such as Interfolio? If a school receives something from Interfolio, how will they have my AAMC ID number? Would I enter that with Interfolio as well? I would like to know whether the Interfolio system provides a smooth file transfer, and that the individual letter will be added without problem to my committee packet. Thanks

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
hindu said:
My committee will be sending out my packet soon. I wanted to add one more letter of recommendation to my file at each school - would it be alright to give the letter writer 20 envelopes with postage to mail out, or is it best to use a letter-service such as Interfolio? If a school receives something from Interfolio, how will they have my AAMC ID number? Would I enter that with Interfolio as well? I would like to know whether the Interfolio system provides a smooth file transfer, and that the individual letter will be added without problem to my committee packet. Thanks

they ask for that info when creating an account, so i am pretty sure they include some sort of cover letter. i also asked my writers to include that at the top of the letter

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
one of mine got lost in the mail and thats why my apps goin out now instead of a month ago. i go to grad school at Hopkins and I swear there's a Hopkins cutthroat in every mailbox in Maryland trying to destroy all the LoRs