Pulm/Crit was Most Competitive Specialty NRMP 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skipjack

Reaction score
I took a look at the new data for appointment year 2021 and pulm crit was more competitive (64% match rate overall) than other medical specialities like cardiology and GI. What has changed? Is it compensation or related to COVID?

Members don't see this ad.

Cardiology and GI are more competitive. The average applicant who applies to cards or GI is more competitive than an average Pulm/CCM applicant.
I suspect with COVID and hiring freeze many grads who might have considered hospitalist route might have later decided to apply Pulm/CCM unlike the majority of card/GI applicants who probably have been working on their application from intern year.

Cardiology and GI are more competitive. The average applicant who applies to cards or GI is more competitive than an average Pulm/CCM applicant.
I suspect with COVID and hiring freeze many grads who might have considered hospitalist route might have later decided to apply Pulm/CCM unlike the majority of card/GI applicants who probably have been working on their application from intern year.
Curious what your definition of more competitive is? More publications/research experience? Step scores? And where did you get the information that informed your opinion? Not trying to have a dick measuring contest, just honestly curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
a lot more people throw random Apps at pulm Crit than gI or cardio. just anecdotal but

Curious what your definition of more competitive is? More publications/research experience? Step scores? And where did you get the information that informed your opinion? Not trying to have a dick measuring contest, just honestly curious.

Meh. Anything that uses # of pubs is going to be skewed to cards and onc because those areas are the most well funded research in the US. Lots of MD/PHDs apply to both specialties, especially heme/onc. Pulmonary and liver research is pretty poorly funded, just not sexy organs and it isnt the 'fight against cancer'

Reactions: 1 users