Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship 2021/2022 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mobitz Type II

Reaction score
Since we will be submitting our applications here within the next few weeks, I was hoping to get some helpful discussions going here. Any advice from last years applicants would be appreciated, especially since interviews will likely be virtual again this year, although there is no official word. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, hoping for helpful discussion too, Its going to be virtual. If you have last years program list with all application please share

Members don't see this ad :)
So how’s everyone doing with prepping their app?

Hi, wishing you all good luck for this application season

I am applying to pulm crit and pulm programs, you think I can use the same PS for both? even if i match in a pulm program, will end up doing critical care anyway.

Thoughts?

Hi, wishing you all good luck for this application season

I am applying to pulm crit and pulm programs, you think I can use the same PS for both? even if i match in a pulm program, will end up doing critical care anyway.

Thoughts?
If I would be you it is important to personalize. Don't use the same PS for PCCM and CCM applications. PS needs to be the best essay you ever wrote to make your case when compared with others.

Good luck to all!

I was hoping for some advice from the group. Wondering if anyone is applying to both PCCM and CCM in the same institution? I would imagine it could get awkward if both call you for an interview for the same institution, but I fear missing out on good critical care programs by not applying. If so, what is your approach to the application process?

hello all
I am applying this year to PCCM. My Credentials are 241/248 /CS passed/ 211 , US citizen . 3 years of hospitalist experience in a community hospital with residency program. 3 peer reviewed publications, 6 poster presentations including ATS and CHEST and ACP.

what is my chances of getting interview. biggest concern is out of residency for 3 years.

good luck to all

Last edited:
Hello! has anybody received interviews? how many programs are you applying?

Anyone got the second step application from Duke?

First I've gotten word on as well, wasn't anticipating secondaries I wonder if this is a new thing or it's been this way in previous years.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's interesting. I didn't apply to Duke but haven't heard of secondaries being sent out for fellowship programs. What more could they possibly want to know?

hello all
I am applying this year to PCCM. My Credentials are 241/248 /CS passed/ 211 , US citizen . 3 years of hospitalist experience in a community hospital with residency program. 3 peer reviewed publications, 6 poster presentations including ATS and CHEST and ACP.

what is my chances of getting interview. biggest concern is out of residency for 3 years.

good luck to all
Sounds like you will be fine. I am in a similar boat, in my 4th yr as an attending.

Hi everyone, good luck to everyone applying!
Does anyone know if all programs have agreed to make this year’s interviews virtual or if some programs will do in person or some hybrid version of both?

Acknowledgement email from Maine medical center

Reactions: 1 user
I know in past years there's been a WhatsApp group for applicants. Anyone know of something like that this year?

Reactions: 1 users
Email from ECU/Vidant about reviewing apps starting this week.

Got rejection from Washington university of St. Louis MO
I heard applications are way up this year. Not sure if that is because its going to all virtual vs a COVID bump.

Was it a straight rejection? Not a waitlist for an interview or acknowledgement email?

Anyone know when first round interview invites usually start going out?

I heard applications are way up this year. Not sure if that is because its going to all virtual vs a COVID bump.

Was it a straight rejection? Not a waitlist for an interview or acknowledgement email?
Yes , it’s straight Rejection.

I got a UConn invitation as well. Unclear whether they are sending invitations out in rounds or all at once.
I got Washington SL rejection. No news from other programs so far besides the secondary from Duke and the ECU acknowledgement.
Is there a spreadsheet going for this year yet?

I got a UConn invitation as well. Unclear whether they are sending invitations out in rounds or all at once.
I got Washington SL rejection. No news from other programs so far besides the secondary from Duke and the ECU acknowledgement.
There is a spreadsheet on the beginning of the thread

Did you get interview from UCONN , I also applied there have not heard anything.
Yeah, I did. So did a few others that I know who applied there. Also just got rejected from Washington University in St Louis. lol

Did you apply PCCM or their CCM? I got rejected from Washington SL (CCM) too. :(

New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) - acknowledgement email

Did all people get rejection from Washington Uni CCM? I have applied for CCM and have not heard anything from them yet.
Is it good sign or bad sign?

For those applying both PCCM and CCM, did you apply to both PCCM and CCM programs at the same hospital/university?

Just received IV from Mercy Saint Louis for CCM. Anyone else?
I had no idea they even offered a fellowship in CCM. They're not on ERAS but they are on the list of ACGME accredited programs. I went to their website and apparently you have to apply by printing their application, filling it out, and then send it back to them. They also request all the other documentations such as LOR and MS transcripts. How are you sending this if they were uploaded via EFDO.

About me IMG-requires Visa; 25x/27x/26x; cs first attempt, seven manuscripts (none as 1 author), 10+ posters(Chest,ATS,ERS), 4 case reports published first author. Chief resident.Univ affiliate program. So far all I hear is deafening silence from ERAS:

Could we stick yo the format as in previous years?

AMG-MD

AMG-DO

IMG-US (does NOT need Visa)

IMG-International (needs Visa)

Rejections

About me IMG-requires Visa; 25x/27x/26x; cs first attempt, seven manuscripts (none as 1 author), 10+ posters(Chest,ATS,ERS), 4 case reports published first author. Chief resident.Univ affiliate program. So far all I hear is deafening silence from ERAS:

AMG-MD

AMG-DO

Rejections

AMG-MD

AMG-DO

Rejections
Same here! I haven’t had anything besides acknowledgments lol

US IMG 240s/240s/220s, seven manuscripts, 8 abstracts, university affiliate program

AMG-MD

AMG-DO

Rejections
You have excellent credentials. Did you apply widely or regionally.

You have excellent credentials. Did you apply widely or regionally.
Reasonably widely, but a few pds have told me pedigree of the residency unfortunately matters a lot, there is where i lack

An unfortunate truth I encountered my first time applying to PCCM
I feel this way as well. As someone who did not know anything about the medical field prior to starting medical school, I was definitely not advised in a way that would set me up for success in a competitive subspecialty. All I knew is that I liked internal medicine and wanted to go to a program where people seemed happy... I wish someone had told me that name recognition matters!

Reasonably widely, but a few pds have told me pedigree of the residency unfortunately matters a lot, there is where i lack
Unfortunately, I feel like it is luck of the draw. I’m US-IMG, average scores, 4 research posters, 4 case posters, residency at a big university program.

What doesn’t help IMGs (overall and especially if they are done with residency) is the virtual interviews. With everyone applying so broadly, there are AMGs/IMGs that wouldn’t have applied that broadly if not for virtual interviews, getting to travel for 20-30 interviews is not conducive in 2nd year of residency doesn’t matter where you do residency. I’ve heard of some friends getting 45 interviews last year, some cancel, some don’t cancel till the last minute. At that point you’re just needlessly talking up spots which could have gone to other candidates actually interested in those programs. Heard even chiefs were applying to 80-100 programs.
Being a chief and research is HUGE that will dampen any residency short comings you may have. Every chief I know got 30+ interviews but a lot of well credentialed IMGs that I know didn’t match last year.
So who knows honestly 🤷🏽‍♂️
I got a rejection from Washington University as well, lol and a cordial hello from ECU

I feel this way as well. As someone who did not know anything about the medical field prior to starting medical school, I was definitely not advised in a way that would set me up for success in a competitive subspecialty. All I knew is that I liked internal medicine and wanted to go to a program where people seemed happy... I wish someone had told me that name recognition matters!
Likewise, at the same time the program i am at, due to circumstances out of their control, severed ties with a decently sized university pulm program, that memorandum of understanding was one of the reasons people used to come to my IM program. Covid hasn’t been kind in more ways then one.

I do still think it’s incredibly early in the process. A lot of programs haven’t even sent out their invites yet.

So i guess it's safe to assume that if we applied to those programs that have sent out interviews, but we were not so lucky to have heard back, it's a rejection? I don't think they send rejections. Not hearing means no....sound right?

So i guess it's safe to assume that if we applied to those programs that have sent out interviews, but we were not so lucky to have heard back, it's a rejection? I don't think they send rejections. Not hearing means no....sound right?
Not quite, there are often multiple rounds of interviews offered per program