Pulmonary/Critical Care 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
give them 24hrs or so to show up

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey first time post here....

I'm an American grad at a University hospital

Applying only in New York and some big programs in other states

So far interviews from Montefiore and Winthrop...

No rejections... anyone else???

when they are asking for "3 letters of recommendation (including PD letter)," are you guys sending 4 letters?

ya i sent four. one is kinda of generic i am not sure if i should have sent it by i did anyway because its from a very important guy at the Cleveland clinic.

I have yet to receive any rejections or invitations. I am still waiting for my fourth letter to arrive (the chief of pulm/crit at my home institution decided to send it via snail mail). I doubt they have officially reviewed my application yet since they are still waiting for that final letter. Yesterday I added another 20 programs to my list bringing my total to 54 - i think. I hope that is enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
FMG,community program, Green card,chief resident (3rd yr),scores-98,99,76 .research-2 oral presentation.applied to 50 programs today
What are my chances.
Pls advice

FMG,community program, Green card,chief resident (3rd yr),scores-98,99,76 .research-2 oral presentation.applied to 50 programs today
What are my chances.
Pls advice

IMG, community program, Green Card, not a chief resident, scores, 90/99/89, applied to 30 programs, got 7 interviews, matched to my top choice.

Good luck, you'll do just fine!

IMG, community program, visa, >95 scores in 1,2, applied to 15, 1 online publication, 5 abstracts, research....what are my chances ?

Thanks for the information. I applied just today -late to apply,Programs started downloading from 15 th . .will that affect my chances.

Looking through my ADTS, the majority of programs have downloaded my application and all documents, some programs have yet to even start downloading, and a couple programs have downloaded most parts except for the one LoR which was uploaded a couple days after the first day.
I have not heard a peep from any of the other programs yet, neither in terms of rejection nor interview request. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything, more specifically if anyone has received inteview requests yet. Think it'd be nice to know from others so we all know what to expect. Thanks all.

Sean

Looking through my ADTS, the majority of programs have downloaded my application and all documents, some programs have yet to even start downloading, and a couple programs have downloaded most parts except for the one LoR which was uploaded a couple days after the first day.
I have not heard a peep from any of the other programs yet, neither in terms of rejection nor interview request. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything, more specifically if anyone has received inteview requests yet. Think it'd be nice to know from others so we all know what to expect. Thanks all.

Sean

Same here, applied mid last week and most of the programs have downloaded with few still haven't downloaded. No rejections or any interviews yet. So it seems you are not alone. :)

Same here, applied mid last week and most of the programs have downloaded with few still haven't downloaded. No rejections or any interviews yet. So it seems you are not alone. :)
I'm in the same boat - applied early in the week - most programs have downloaded - have not heard of either interviews or rejections.

Thanks for the information. I applied just today -late to apply,Programs started downloading from 15 th . .will that affect my chances.
I don't think so....as long as you apply with in the program's deadline, that should be fine. Most of them are waiting for all the applications to come in before starting to send out the interviews.

200 people sent in apps to my program alone. Many people do apply to damn near every program.

Wow, so last year there were 599 applicants for 435 slots and this year if you are correct there are 200 applicants for likely 2-4 slots in your program!

Any comments guys?

Wow, so last year there were 599 applicants for 435 slots and this year if you are correct there are 200 applicants for likely 2-4 slots in your program!

Any comments guys?

Either pulmonary/cc is becoming much, much more popular or like he said above "many people apply to damn near every program".

Any comments guys?

This isnt unusual here, about that many apply most years, and this isn't a big name program.

Pulm-cc should be due to get more competitive. According to Merritt Hawkins data, pulm docs are currently old. >60% are over the age of 55 and there is a huge shortage as there is

Sean

I've heard from a few places. I'm not sure how I feel about posting here for everyone to see as it would be easy for people I work with to figure it out, but feel free to PM me for specifics.

I've heard from a few places. I'm not sure how I feel about posting here for everyone to see as it would be easy for people I work with to figure it out, but feel free to PM me for specifics.

If anybody who feels like this wants to PM me with your invites, I would be happy to post them anonymously.

A few people have contacted me by PM to anonymously post interviews received (and a couple of people have also PM'd me to ask where I've gotten interviews...these people don't quite get it). Please note that I'm not applying this year (I'm perfectly happy with my completed fellowship in another subspecialty), just providing a service.

But anywho, I'm going to post these. If you want to add to the list, please quote it, remove the quote tags and add your programs. If you want to submit anonymously, PM me and I will add to the list...at my leisure.

No interviews.No rejections..
I have seen people already have some invites.Isn't that too early?Programs just started downloading applications .Many of my friends are still working on application and have not appled yet.They opened ERAS on June 20th and when u request LOR sometimes it can take 3- 4weeks.Don't you think there was not much time for application this year.How come program start doing invites so early..I am really surprised.My concern is do they review the applications who apply late.I am really concerned..

In years past, applications could be donwloaded on december 1 and most people didn't start hearing about invites until the beginning/middle of January. MOST of my invites came in February. If you want to extrapolate that experience to this year, then I'd say invites start coming out in August/September.

In years past, applications could be donwloaded on december 1 and most people didn't start hearing about invites until the beginning/middle of January. MOST of my invites came in February. If you want to extrapolate that experience to this year, then I'd say invites start coming out in August/September.

^This.

Y'all gettin' way too worked up over this. The few invites that have been granted so far are mostly likely to internal candidates, superstars and others with some sort of connection to the programs. If October rolls around and you're still in the "no interviews" category, then you can get your panties in a wad. Until then, relax and do something useful with your time besides worry about things you can't control.

Application cycle has been shortened, I would expect most of will hear in August with few in early September. Some programs have a deadline of end of August. But invites at this stage are truly early and exception not the norm.

^This.

Y'all gettin' way too worked up over this. The few invites that have been granted so far are mostly likely to internal candidates, superstars and others with some sort of connection to the programs. If October rolls around and you're still in the "no interviews" category, then you can get your panties in a wad. Until then, relax and do something useful with your time besides worry about things you can't control.

Agree :)

Got email from Hopkins that applications will be accepted till mid August and interviews on thus in sep.

all you need is one program to match and may be 2 interviews...thats my attitude.

does any one know if U of Washington, cook county, norwalk/ bridgeport, creighton, henryford, mayo clinic- arizona have started dowloading the applications?

does any one know if U of Washington, cook county, norwalk/ bridgeport, creighton, henryford, mayo clinic- arizona have started dowloading the applications?

Have you tried checking ADTS?

Last edited:
Have you tried checking ADTS?

I did check on ADTS. These progress have not downloaded yet.
Just asking if any body applied here and if they had downloaded theirs.

I did check on ADTS. These progress have not downloaded yet.
Just asking if any body applied here and if they had downloaded theirs.

Programs can't pick and choose which apps to download. If they haven't downloaded yours, they haven't downloaded anyones.