Pulmonary/Critical Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

manning18

Hi,
I have some questions about Pulmonary Critical Care fellowships.
1. How difficult to obtain are Pulmonary Critcal Care fellowships?
2. How much harder would it be if one went to a community-based program than a University-based program?
3. If one were at a community program, what would be the best things they could do to better their chances of a PCC fellowship?
4. Is the competitiveness of Pulmonary Critical Care fellowships likely to change significantly in the future? (especially, are they likely to become more competitive in the future?)
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

manning18 said:
Hi,
I have some questions about Pulmonary Critical Care fellowships.
1. How difficult to obtain are Pulmonary Critcal Care fellowships?
2. How much harder would it be if one went to a community-based program than a University-based program?
3. If one were at a community program, what would be the best things they could do to better their chances of a PCC fellowship?
4. Is the competitiveness of Pulmonary Critical Care fellowships likely to change significantly in the future? (especially, are they likely to become more competitive in the future?)
Thanks!!

Pulm/CCM fellowship is less competitive than GI or Cards but generally more competitive than nonprocedural IM subspecialties w/ the exception of allergy/immunology. This being said, most Pulm/CCM fellowships are associated with academic institutions and many of them have a significant research component. Ideally, from my interview experience last year, they like academic medicine grads over community trained ones. Strong connections within the pulmonary/CCM department help in landing ones ideal spot. From a community program, you may be able to strengthen your case by partnering with a nearby academic institution, getting to know their pulmonologists and contributing some research or literature...in other words, increase you exposure to the academic elements.

As for competitiveness, it will probably increase as the number of critically ill patients is increasing as is the trend towards the "closed ICU" model, requiring intensivist coverage increases. I doubt it will reach the popularity of GI or Cards given that these specialties derive most of their revenue from procedures and not RDUs, unlike pulmonary where there is more of balance of clinical care and procedures.

Reactions: 1 user
I was also wondering if those doing PCCM can answer the following questions:

1) Whats the job market for someone looking in the East Coast in a few years after graduation?
2)As a female will I have a life and time to see my kids?
3)How much research do we need to be competitive coming from a Community based program in NY?

I wanted to do Hematology Oncology prior to starting medical school, but I did an elective as a first year and now I'm not too excited about Oncology. I love hematology! but Oncology was just a different story in clinical practice. Everyone tells me Heme Onc is a better field than PCCM as far as lifestyle goes. I liked my PCCM elective and rotation on the MICU more.

I'm torn. Suppose to set up electives soon, start hooking up to do research in a few months, but I'm still not sure what I want to do!!!

I know for a fact..I don't want to be a hospitalist and Im not interested now in the other specialties.
I figured that out soon after starting my first few months of intern year.

Any comments?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow just realized this was written in 2004, misread thought it was 2014

I was also wondering if those doing PCCM can answer the following questions:

1) Whats the job market for someone looking in the East Coast in a few years after graduation?
2)As a female will I have a life and time to see my kids?
3)How much research do we need to be competitive coming from a Community based program in NY?

I wanted to do Hematology Oncology prior to starting medical school, but I did an elective as a first year and now I'm not too excited about Oncology. I love hematology! but Oncology was just a different story in clinical practice. Everyone tells me Heme Onc is a better field than PCCM as far as lifestyle goes. I liked my PCCM elective and rotation on the MICU more.

I'm torn. Suppose to set up electives soon, start hooking up to do research in a few months, but I'm still not sure what I want to do!!!

I know for a fact..I don't want to be a hospitalist and Im not interested now in the other specialties.
I figured that out soon after starting my first few months of intern year.

Any comments?

PCCM is moving towards shift work now. Job market is good, even on the east coast. Don't expect to find a job in Manhattan though, at least not one where you don't get paid crap to work like a slave.

The shift works means work hard, play hard. You'll see your kids.

You won't be able to actually find "research" coming from a community program, but you may be able to put together some cases and it helps to have something in that spot on your CV. If you can find someone who can help you with a retrospective, chart review, project of some kind that would be better.

Good luck. I think it's a good field.