Pun on Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cm7b5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone here consider using a pun to close their personal statement? For example, I am talking about a cymbal being symbolic.......do you think it would be cheesy to say "cymbalic?" :confused:
I am leaning toward not doing it, but it would be something different. Feel free to call me cheezy. :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by cm7b5:
•Would anyone here consider using a pun to close their personal statement? For example, I am talking about a cymbal being symbolic.......do you think it would be cheesy to say "cymbalic?" :confused:
I am leaning toward not doing it, but it would be something different. Feel free to call me cheezy. :D :D :D
I'm kinda thinkin' no on that idea. But I'm wrong about 87% of the time so who knows.
;)

brhill.....is it possible you are wrong about being wrong? :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
•Would anyone here consider using a pun to close their personal statement? For example, I am talking about a cymbal being symbolic.......do you think it would be cheesy to say "cymbalic?" :confused:

Could you give me the full sentence and maybe some context behind it? Anything that is normally considered "cheezy", if done right, can be quite powerful.

Don't do it - it doesn't look cheesy - it looks like a typo. Unless you put it in quotes, but then it looks cheesy.

Scenario: I am talking about a job that was influential in my decision to become a Dr....... My coworkers would strike the cymbal when they had a good day in sales. But, I was a bad saleman....and it took me forever to ring the cymbal. I finally rang it one day, when I began thinking about my job differently and not making generalization about people, treating them like individuals, etc. So I was going to end by saying something like: The day I struck the cymbal, not only represented my success at work, but also the beginning of my journey into the world of medicine. It was truly ?cymbalic.?

It's weird the more I read it the cheezier it gets. :D :D

I am tired............I decided....no pun for me....... and no soup for you! :cool:

NO SERIOUSLY

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING IT!!

the pple would think u didn't know how to spell symbolic, and that ain't funny at all.....could be misinterpreted the opposite way and get smack at ur face :D

hey

wait

i just read it in the context...and it really sounds cute ;)

i say go for it...any idiot should figure that out :D

why rely on idiots? don't take a chance. when in doubt, ALWAYS do the conservative thing.

DON'T BOTHER...some PS readers will accept it with open arms others will frown.
AND YOU NEED NO FROWNING on your PS!!.

CHEESY BUT FUNNY

I agree with Vic.

I quoted the sagacious Yogi Berra to end my vision statement: "There's no stopping the future."

I wrote my vision statement so that I could work this in. I'm all about being original, and I think the OP should go for it. Why not? It'll stand out. It would be something different. If adcoms have a problem with it, then just invite us for an interview and we'll clear up any misunderstanding. ;)

•I am tired............I decided....no pun for me....... and no soup for you! :cool:

pun nazi!

I like it.. I think med schools like to see some semblance of creativity in their students.. it might land you an extra interview or two. :p

Well, it seems like a good mix of responses. I decided to do it, but not to end my PS. Thanks guys. :)