punnet square

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pty21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone explain how they got 10/16 to me? when i draw the square i only get 4/16 who lack a "K" or have a "M"...

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.09.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.09.35 PM.png
    126 KB · Views: 48
Did you take into account that anybody with two recessive kk alleles also will be deaf?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you take into account that anybody with two recessive kk alleles also will be deaf?
I did, and I still didn't get the right answer.. BUT, I just re-did the square and designated my alleles differently, and then got the right answer. So, does this mean I'm supposed to set the alleles up a certain way? This might be a dumb question, but I'm not too good with punnet squares!

I did, and I still didn't get the right answer.. BUT, I just re-did the square and designated my alleles differently, and then got the right answer. So, does this mean I'm supposed to set the alleles up a certain way? This might be a dumb question, but I'm not too good with punnet squares!

I mean, how did you set up your alleles? There should be 16 different gametes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I set it up and got 8/16 if you DON'T include the two kkmm as deaf like aldol16 said. You get 5/8 if you include them.

Set it up like a di-hybrid cross. This pic is for both parents being heterozygous, but you get the idea.

03td.gif

Last edited:
thanks guys! I just saw this -- I ended up catching my mistake a little after I submitted my second post -- it was a dumb mistake I had made because I was too tired from studying. Good news -- punnet squares WEREN'T on my MCAT today! :)