Purchaing UW biostat qbank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplelife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased Biostatistics Subject Review 90-days Membership? How many questions do we get?

Members don't see this ad.

I used it. I think there were roughly 50-60 questions. It's not a lot but it covers many topics very well. There weren't that many biostat questions on my form so I don't think it would have mattered had I not used it and had just done UWorld. That being said I am glad I did it because if I had a harder form like NBME 16 with respect to biostat I would have been well prepared. If you have the money and are weak in biostat I would say why not but if its between purchasing the subject review and buying an NBME exam then don't waste your money on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for replying. I decided to get them and working on them right now.

Thank you for replying. I decided to get them and working on them right now.

Have a review of how effective you think it was? My exam is Friday and I'm debating on doing this tomorrow, but I don't really want it to take up my whole day. I'd say I'm okay in biostats, but often times it takes me too long on the questions since I'm not too comfortable with it, so I was hoping doing this would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have a review of how effective you think it was? My exam is Friday and I'm debating on doing this tomorrow, but I don't really want it to take up my whole day. I'd say I'm okay in biostats, but often times it takes me too long on the questions since I'm not too comfortable with it, so I was hoping doing this would help.

It would probably take you like 2-3 hours to do the questions and to go through the wrong. It won't take your entire day. I don't think it helped me that much, but it was a good review.
I also have the same issue, even though I know the formulas and know how to solve them, but during assessments it always takes too long. It eats up my time when I'm trying to plug in the numbers and then rechecking things. And in hurry I tend to get some of them wrong in assessments. I found it helped me a lot when I came back to them at the end.

Good luck Bancrofti!

Reactions: 1 user
Looking back I think the UWorld biostats PDF helped me clarify probably one or two concepts. Yet again, my actual exam was very light on biostats and it never made a difference. It's more placebo / for your own sense of confidence than anything else.

I'd say, compared to the QBank, the biostats PDF is mediocre because the explanations fall short of the QBank ones. They clearly could have simply put these questions as additional ones into the actual QBank, but instead decided to market it as a separate entity so that they could charge us all extra $$.

Regardless, buy the biostats PDF. You can never do too many biostats questions. It's like for radiology, you can never look at too many chest x-rays.

Reactions: 1 users
It would probably take you like 2-3 hours to do the questions and to go through the wrong. It won't take your entire day. I don't think it helped me that much, but it was a good review.
I also have the same issue, even though I know the formulas and know how to solve them, but during assessments it always takes too long. It eats up my time when I'm trying to plug in the numbers and then rechecking things. And in hurry I tend to get some of them wrong in assessments. I found it helped me a lot when I came back to them at the end.

Good luck Bancrofti!

I personally have been singing the praises of these supplemental Q's. For the small investment of time and money relative to the rest of your prep, they offer some valuable extra insight. But then again, I get the feeling that my Step 1 was more biostats heavy than most.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't use the biostats package and never felt the need for it. My exam was pretty standard fare; there was one question that was actually difficult and I'm still not sure if I got it right, but the rest of the biostats stuff was straightforward.

My exam didn't have many difficult biostats questions but the supplement (which is a drop in the bucket cost-wise) helped me clarify a few topics that I had trouble with during my prep.

So if biostats is your weakness then the UWorld supplement and redoing UWorld biostats questions should be sufficient to get free points on exam day.