purchase otoscope/opthalmoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazy4F1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so we were given the paperwork from welchallyn this week to buy any one of a variety of otoscope/opthalmoscope sets at the student prices - this generated a lot of discussion on whether or not we really needed them, and whether or not we really needed to spend that much on them. what has been your experience? i have about a week to make up my mind and get the paperwork in if i decide to order.

Members don't see this ad.

so we were given the paperwork from welchallyn this week to buy any one of a variety of otoscope/opthalmoscope sets at the student prices - this generated a lot of discussion on whether or not we really needed them, and whether or not we really needed to spend that much on them. what has been your experience? i have about a week to make up my mind and get the paperwork in if i decide to order.

In most clinical settings, there will be oto/ophthalmoscopes hanging on the walls for you to use. However not all. I've definitely needed to use my own at times. So it probably pays to own one if you think you might end up in such a setting. But there is no need to own a good one, just a working one. Get a used, cheap version from an upperclassmen or off ebay.

I didn't buy one--what exam room have you ever walked into that didn't have an otoscope/opthalmoscope. Plus, it's just something else you have to carry around. In the end though, I couldn't justify spending as much money on one of these as I expect to spend on food this semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most hospital rooms will not have them in the rooms.. You'll be lucky to find BP cuffs in the rooms. That being said, its nice to have your scopes for 3rd year medicine rotations. I think first and second year you can get by without any issues.

I bought one, and it was a huge waste of money. Most examination rooms have one, and if not, you can borrow one from the hospital/clinic. Save your money.

EDIT: You can always buy one later on in your medical school career if you need it.

Most hospital rooms will not have them in the rooms.. You'll be lucky to find BP cuffs in the rooms. That being said, its nice to have your scopes for 3rd year medicine rotations. I think first and second year you can get by without any issues.

When was the last time you needed to examine someone's ears in the hospital? I didn't buy one and I've never needed it- I'm now 1/2 way through 3rd year, and am doubting the need to have one for my surgery or urology rotations.

When was the last time you needed to examine someone's ears in the hospital? I didn't buy one and I've never needed it- I'm now 1/2 way through 3rd year, and am doubting the need to have one for my surgery or urology rotations.

I am only in my second year but we just finished a practicum/rotation where we had to do full H&P's on each patient.. totally tedious, but good practice. I got by without them but had to borrow someone else's when being evaluated by my attending.

I am glad you can get through third year without it.. that's my plan. Its just too much of an investment right now. My buddy uses a pan optic and I must say its sweet, but $$.

Ask the 3rd or 4th years if they needed one.

At most places, it is unnecessary.

Most clinics and offices will have diagnostic kits either wall mounted or available. That being said, you need consistent practice before you become proficient at examination of optic fundi. This usually means that you need to have daily access and practice to an opthalmoscope when you are learning this great skill. Most of the people in my class, purchased a set from an upperclassman (or EBay) and sold their kit a the end of second year to an upcoming second-year person.

I am probably one of the few surgeons that I know that actually examine the optic fundi of my patients. I do this for a couple of reasons. First, the condition of the retina gives me an idea of the condition of their vessels and how much of a "thrash" I am likely to encounter when working with those vessels (I do loads of vascular work). Second, I can follow the general progression of their end organ disease (most of my patients are hypertensive, hypercholesterolemia and diabetic) by examination of their optic fundi.

Most medical students (and my class was no exception) never learn how to examine optic fundi to any great proficiency. I was fortunate to have a superb preceptor (during my Physical Diagnosis course) and to spend some time with an excellent ophthalmologist. Both of these attendings taught me well and I have done the same for the medical students on my service.

I still use the diagnostic set that I purchased as a second-year student but I am a distinct minority in this practice. I would definitely advise against purchase of a set if you are not prepared to put in some serious time in learning to use these tools. I would also advise to look into purchasing a used set on EBay or from an upperclassman.

The Panoptic scopes are nice and can get you skilled pretty quickly but share the costs of these expensive tools and guard them with your life as they are quick to develop feet and walk. You can learn to use an regular opthalmoscope but sharing the cost of a Panoptic is OK too.

On my pediatrics rotation, the attendings require us to look into ears of every patient. When I was on neurology, I had to do a fundoscopic exam on every patient, every morning. There is definitely a need for an otoscope/ophthalmoscope kit during third and fourth year. But I agree with the previous posters, you should buy the cheapest set that you can from either an upperclassman or eBay or Amazon.com.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the input guys. i'm leaning towards getting one of the 'budget' priced sets, and definetly not the panoptic. our school's practice center has the pan optic's on the wall, so i'm sure i can use a basic one for my own extra practice.

and seeing as hypercholesterolemia, HTN and diabetes run in my family/ my boyfriend already has high cholesterol, i've no shortage of patients to check up on in my free time (what free time?? :laugh:)

thanks again :)

The only time you may use it is when you're practicing outside of a clinical setting. They have them at all the places I'd actually need to use one around my school and in the clinics/hospitals. Unless you want to have one at your house/apartment to practice on your roommate and friends then I would suggest saving the $$ until you find out you absolutely need it

Hey everyone,

I'm a first year who is about start the part of our physical exam course where we have to use our otoscopes and opthalmoscopes.

Our school recommends buying the Welch Allyn pocketscope (92820) kit [http://www.medplususa.com/list-prod...with_AA_Batteries_and_Hard_Case-pid-1283.html] but since almost every third/fourth year I've talked to has said this is the biggest waste of money in medical school (since all our hospitals/clinic rooms have their own wall mounted sets), I'm wondering would it be a bad idea to buy the significantly cheaper Pocketscope "Jr." Kit (95001) [http://www.lifelinemedical.net/welch_allyn/detail958.htm]http://www.medplususa.com/list-product_info-p-Welch_Allyn_PocketScope_Set_with_AA_Batteries_and_Hard_Case-pid-1283.html

I can get the regular pocketscope kit at our bookstore with discount for about 360. I can get the pocketscope jr. set online for about 180 (half the price).

Has anyone ever used the pocketscope Jr.? Since Welch Allyn (well known for its diagnostic medical equipment) makes it, I'm guessing it would be good enough to see patients with right?

Any comments = appreciated!!!

Hey everyone,

I'm a first year who is about start the part of our physical exam course where we have to use our otoscopes and opthalmoscopes.

Our school recommends buying the Welch Allyn pocketscope (92820) kit [http://www.medplususa.com/list-prod...with_AA_Batteries_and_Hard_Case-pid-1283.html] but since almost every third/fourth year I've talked to has said this is the biggest waste of money in medical school (since all our hospitals/clinic rooms have their own wall mounted sets), I'm wondering would it be a bad idea to buy the significantly cheaper Pocketscope "Jr." Kit (95001) [http://www.lifelinemedical.net/welch_allyn/detail958.htm]http://www.medplususa.com/list-product_info-p-Welch_Allyn_PocketScope_Set_with_AA_Batteries_and_Hard_Case-pid-1283.html

I can get the regular pocketscope kit at our bookstore with discount for about 360. I can get the pocketscope jr. set online for about 180 (half the price).

Has anyone ever used the pocketscope Jr.? Since Welch Allyn (well known for its diagnostic medical equipment) makes it, I'm guessing it would be good enough to see patients with right?

I use the standard set with the Li-ion handle, personally. Why handicap yourself with a swissarmy knife diagnostic set that lacks functionality?

Also, while the 3rd and 4th years at my school said the same thing about there being a wall mounted set in all rooms, I've found that to be decidedly NOT the case. I haven't been in a SINGLE hospital room with a wallmount in the last 2 years. Outpatient clinic is different, but you're not going to spend most of your time in outpatient clinic.

The panoptic scope is really nice too btw. Much better visualization. Yes, you need to learn to use the standard scope too, in the interests of learning, but in the interests of patient care that scope will show you a lot more.

Hey everyone,

While most walls in med schools and clinics have optho/oto scopes hanging on the wall, not all do. I've had to use my own quite a few times. And of course it's always nice to have one to practice with. But the key is that your use will be very limited, and your ability to appreciate what you are seeing will probably be even more limited. So the key is probably to buy the absolute cheapest scope you can get that is functional. Look on ebay, talk to upperclassmen. You probably won't use it after 3rd year, so I wouldn't drop a lot on one. If you go into optho or neuro you're going to want to buy a better one for residency, otherwise you will rely on whatever is on the wall wherever you end up, so start with a cheapo.

Hey everyone,

Most people at my school bought their diagnostic sets used from an upperclassman and then sold them when PD class was done. Purchasing these sets are expensive and you don't really need them past taking your class as just about every clinic has these sets on the wall or available to you.

You DO need to master the technique of an opthalmoscopis exam but you don't need to shell out hundreds of dollars for something that you won't use past one semester. Those of use who kept our kits rarely brought them on clinical rotations as they tend to "develop legs and walk".

Try to get something used on eBay or from an upperclassman. The cheapest (most basic) set is fine for learning purposes.

Thanks for the advice and posts so far. Have any of you ever used (or seen anyone using) the "pocketscope jr." set? Would you recommend it based on the link I've provided above?

thanks

Didn't buy one. Have never come close to having use for one.

Buy it in 3 years when you are able to use it, the current model will be 15% of current price. Chumps who bought them are giving them away on eBay.

Your school gets money for talking you into buying the magnum $1,000 opthalmoscope. Use your head.

Thanks for the advice and posts so far. Have any of you ever used (or seen anyone using) the "pocketscope jr." set? Would you recommend it based on the link I've provided above?

thanks

Interesting - on the website selling them I saw when I first bought my oto/ophthalmo I believe it said the "jr." is technically not up to U.S. standards, and therefore they were prohibited from selling it as appropriate for U.S. clinical use....but the website you listed doesn't say that.

Bottom line - the WA pocketscope set is great (lightweight, portable, clear), and the Jr. is probably comparable in most ways. But still, I've seen the Jr. and it feels chintzy. I'd go with the WA pocketscope "Sr." You're going to be a doctor, right? I'm still flabbergasted that med students are so resistant to buy diagnostic tools. Most, if not all the time, they allocate money for it in your financial aid, you will use/need it (and if by some chance you don't, you'll at least have peace of mind knowing you've got the right tools to do a proper PE), and it's not like you'll have to buy another one at any point, unless you lose it.

Would you recommend the rechargeable pocketscope or the AA battery pocketscope? I'll try to hunt on ebay in the next year to see what I can get.

So the key is probably to buy the absolute cheapest scope you can get that is functional. Look on ebay, talk to upperclassmen. You probably won't use it after 3rd year, so I wouldn't drop a lot on one. If you go into optho or neuro you're going to want to buy a better one for residency, otherwise you will rely on whatever is on the wall wherever you end up, so start with a cheapo.

Excellent advice. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I thought I needed all this crap - now I think Welch-Allyn must be giving major kickbacks to our dean's office.:mad:

Would you recommend the rechargeable pocketscope or the AA battery pocketscope? I'll try to hunt on ebay in the next year to see what I can get.

AA battery is fine.

the biggest criticisms I've heard about it are the small window size, dimmer than others, too expensive. I have no complaints in any of those categories. I do concur that you shouldn't go more expensive/schnazzy than the pocketscope though, because unless you're going neuro or ophtho (and >90% of students won't) you'll likely never need more than that. even then, you probably wouldn't. but the pocketscope's great. I can't bring myself to use the beltclip & pouch, though and and you'll have to put a thick little Sanford or harrison's manual on the other side to keep your balance in your white coat (it's not weightless)

I have an older version of the pocketscope set, which I bought on ebay for ~$150 I think. You really can't see a whole lot with the ophthalmoscope part, but you really can't see that much in the eye with any scope set unless the eye is dilated (or at least I can't), which only occurs in the ophthalmologist's office, and there they have much nicer tools to look at the retina with. You can see fine with the otoscope. I personally prefer my set, because I know of absolutely NO ONE who lugs their kit around with them, and at least if I wanted to, it would be lightweight and fit nicely into my pocket. Not to mention that when I choose to sell mine, I will probably be able to sell it for about what I paid for it, which cannot be said for everyone who buys the $400 sets.

My guess is that how much you need it and will use it varies by school, and since the upperclassmen at your school are telling you that it's a waste of money, you probably won't really need it. So buy a cheap set. Again, I'm going to recommend ebay.

I haven't used mine extensively enough to know it's shortcomings, but I have the AA pocket optho similar to the one you linked. It looks taller than that though. I don't have any difficulties with it that I don't have with a wall-mount. You have to practice, and you don't need a panoptic to do it. I think what makes it a "pocket" is the base, not the head. It has a bunch of dials I'll prolly never use, lil crosshairs and ****, green light, etc...The oto I have though is probably going to get me laughed into a hole if I break it out on rotations. Also a pocket, it's kinda of a big penlight that has a T-head on it that reflects light through that cone thing (speculum?), made by "prestige" which is the biggest commercial misnomer I've ever heard.

I'd ask around your school or get on message boards and find a senior who is selling a set or get online and find one. But do get one early enough to get familiar with it.

thanks everyone.

I guess I prob won't buy the Jr. Set and hopefully find some 4th year who might be willing to sell his set for ¢¢...

I'm looking to buy a set too, I'll probably go with a pocket one. It seems like there are only two choices from what I've heard. Either the Pan-optic by Welch Allyn and EVERYTHING else. So I'll probably save the $$$ and go with a normal pocket ophthalmoscope/otoscope set until I need (if ever) the Pan-optic. I've tried the Pan-Optic actually and it's really nice, but I can't see spending that much. I'll probably get one of those $200 pockets, I feel at least I'll use it if i can carry it around! Maybe something like this? I'm gonna still look for cheaper stuff though...

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll let you know what I end up buying.

If anyone knows of any sites with good deals post it please!

I work a lot in the free clinics and they definitely don't have any for us. I was gonna go with a pocket one so I'll actually carry it, anyone have any opinions about those or good places to buy? I don't need anything fancy, just something to get the job done. I posted earlier that I've tried the Pan-Optic, if you've got the money it's awesome but I've been able to use the "normal" ones just fine, so I can't see spending that much, even with the "student rates."

You have to get uncomfortably close to a patient to visualize the optic disc with a flashlight.

I was under the impression have to get uncomfortably close to a patient to visualize the optic disc with an opthalmoscope.... We were taught that basically you should practically be cheek to cheek. Awk. ward.

Which is why I've been confused by the docs who do a "full optic exam" by standing 3 feet away and shining the opthalmoscope on the patient's eye. Ok, so the patient has a red reflex...

I was distressed at essentially never getting a good view of the optic disc, until an M3 doing his opth rotation told me that it's understood in opth world that you have to dilate to see jack. I felt schloads better after that.

You can get a cheaper, non-name brand set on ebay or amazon. I got an otoscope and ophthalmoscope in a case for something like $130. I have yet to use these on a real patient, however they're good to have just in case, and for practice on family members, etc.

If it's not too late for the OP do not buy this stuff! It is so expensive and so low yield. If there is a rotation that absolutely requires you to have one you could probably borrow one from a classmate, hell, pay them $50.

Alot of M1s get scared into buying these things because they think they will need to "practice." Wrongo. You will not need to "practice" otoscopy b/c it's not a difficult skill -- you'll have it down cold in about a day.

Fundoscopy is a very dicey step of the physical exam. I can see disks/vessels on almost every patient (placing me, I would suspect, in the top quartile of med students at this skill) and even after an ophtho rotation I only trust 3 findings (none of which I have seen):

-papilledema (blurred disk)
-extreme pallor of the fundus (i.e. central retinal a. occlusion)
-extremely messed up looking fundus (i.e. central retinal v. occlusion)

This whole idea of "systematically examining the fundus" with an o-scope is laughable. Ask an ophthalmologist what they think about it. Imagine the fundus as a circle the size of a basketball. Place a quarter on that circle. That's what you're seeing with your fundoscope.

To return to my original point: save your money!

Yeah, unless your school requires you to get one (or you'll fail OSCE or something like that), you'll probably get by with borrowing hospital equipment.

Me, I bought a $50 nurses opthalmo/otoscope from ebay as back-up. Works just as well.

I also agree that using the basic opthalmoscope for fundus exam is mostly a waste of time. I hear that using the more advanced version (the opthalmologists') is better, but they cost 2x as much...

Fundus exam is also VERY uncomfortable for the patient/practice subject. Imagine being forced to stare at a high intensity flashlight for a few minutes. Most doctors I know would just avoid this part of the physical, and rely on lab test to confirm/eliminate their clinical suspicion.

Yeah, unless your school requires you to get one (or you'll fail OSCE or something like that), you'll probably get by with borrowing hospital equipment.

Me, I bought a $50 nurses opthalmo/otoscope from ebay as back-up. Works just as well.

I also agree that using the basic opthalmoscope for fundus exam is mostly a waste of time. I hear that using the more advanced version (the opthalmologists') is better, but they cost 2x as much...

Fundus exam is also VERY uncomfortable for the patient/practice subject. Imagine being forced to stare at a high intensity flashlight for a few minutes. Most doctors I know would just avoid this part of the physical, and rely on lab test to confirm/eliminate their clinical suspicion.

that's pretty dramatic. it's not any more uncomfortable than doing an otoscope exam or checking BP or deep abdominal palpation or a large amount of pathological signs elicited on physical exam, all of which are crucial components. you can argue about the clinical utility of a limited fundus exam, but I would say you're exaggerating the invasiveness on the patient by saying it's "VERY uncomfortable for the patient/subject", unless your technique is transrectal.

I don't think that we need otoscope.:xf:feel that we don't used it. rechargeable flashlight

Not sure why you bumped up this thread, but --talk to upperclassmen. While all EDs and clinics have them on the wall, many many hospital rooms up on the floor won't. And on eg a neuro rotation they will expect you to be carrying your scope and doing an exam of all your patients daily. But as I said earlier in the thread, you don't need a good scope, and don't need a new scope. Buy a cheapo one off a departing senior or off ebay.

My PA program is requiring each of us to report to class on the first day of H&P with all of our equipment in tow. This means a full diagnostic set, steth, and all those other goodies (measuring tape, penlight, eye chart, reflex hammer, etc). Not only that, but people who have finagled pocketscopes or minis from family/friends are having their equipment rejected! Looks like I will be buying a Classic Set (97200-MC) whenever I have enough funds...

Anyone selling one?

What's funnier is that people who want to buy the panoptic set are required to get the standard coaxial head as well! (SUCKERS!)

My PA program is requiring each of us to report to class on the first day of H&P with all of our equipment in tow. This means a full diagnostic set, steth, and all those other goodies (measuring tape, penlight, eye chart, reflex hammer, etc). Not only that, but people who have finagled pocketscopes or minis from family/friends are having their equipment rejected! Looks like I will be buying a Classic Set (97200-MC) whenever I have enough funds...

Anyone selling one?

What's funnier is that people who want to buy the panoptic set are required to get the standard coaxial head as well! (SUCKERS!)

That's stupid. You can't see anything anyway with the ophthalmoscope. Panoptic is the best but I wouldn't spend all the money on it.

I bought the WA set with the pan optic scope. Spent like $780 on it. I've used it a lot on family and used the pan optic on my dog a few times (I guess they get scared of the scope so they have sympathetic activation and their eyes dilate, but really good view). All the PhysDx patients I saw were in the VA hospital and none of their rooms had wall mounts. None of them had ear problems, but had to do the whole shabang on them. Our OSCE rooms had wall mounts, but I used my own stuff anyway (since I paid all that money for it:rolleyes:).

Probably can get by without it, but I had the money left over after budgeting for the year so I went for it.

In most clinical settings, there will be oto/ophthalmoscopes hanging on the walls for you to use. However not all. I've definitely needed to use my own at times. So it probably pays to own one if you think you might end up in such a setting. But there is no need to own a good one, just a working one. Get a used, cheap version from an upperclassmen or off ebay.

So you carry around an oto/optho scope at all times in case there isn't one in the exam room? Do you also carry around a hoohoo light in case the one in the exam room doesn't provide adequate light?

Anyone selling one?

I have the classic set. It's nice enough, but I wouldn't have bought it if my scholarship hadn't reimbursed me for it.

I bought mine off of ebay.

Here is a different slant on it. I am entering med school with four kids (older now). I really don't give flying flip how many times I use it. I am so thrilled to have it and would have killed to have it for the last 12 years.

Why? When you or your wife is awoken by a screaming inconsolable child at 3:00am, it is such a piece of mind to be able to whip that thing out and go: Oh, they have an ear infection. Otherwise you are left wondering is it gas, are they hunger, and every other thing under the sun. It is worth the money to have the piece of mind what is wrong with your kid until the Pediatricians office opens then next morning. For those that have lived through it, you can attest the clock just seems to tick by until the 8:00AM hour.

If you have kids it will happen- especially on a great vacation to the beach. Don't leave home without it.

It is worthless unless you plan on going into ophthalmology. No other specialty is required or expected to visualize the optic disc in practice. Keep in mind that this doesn't mean that they won't still make their med students do it, but there is usually one either on the wall or rolling one somewhere around. You may have to work a little harder to find the rolling one, but you will save $500 in the process.

I bought mine off of ebay.

Here is a different slant on it. I am entering med school with four kids (older now). I really don't give flying flip how many times I use it. I am so thrilled to have it and would have killed to have it for the last 12 years.

Why? When you or your wife is awoken by a screaming inconsolable child at 3:00am, it is such a piece of mind to be able to whip that thing out and go: Oh, they have an ear infection. Otherwise you are left wondering is it gas, are they hunger, and every other thing under the sun. It is worth the money to have the piece of mind what is wrong with your kid until the Pediatricians office opens then next morning. For those that have lived through it, you can attest the clock just seems to tick by until the 8:00AM hour.

If you have kids it will happen- especially on a great vacation to the beach. Don't leave home without it.
Ya, except if all you want is an otoscope, you can get a cheap one for $15 on ebay that works just as well as a good one.

So you carry around an oto/optho scope at all times in case there isn't one in the exam room? Do you also carry around a hoohoo light in case the one in the exam room doesn't provide adequate light?

In our program during your neuro rotation you absolutely had better have had your scope on you at all times. There are none in the wards (only in the ED and clinics) and every attending expected you to have done optho exams on all the patients. I also found I needed to fetch my own scope at least once during both peds and IM, so it wasn't a bad idea to keep one in your backpack for those rotations as well. Your program may have been different, but advising people not to get one when a lot of programs require one is unhelpful. Folks should talk to upperclassmen. i have no idea what a "hoohoo light" is, but if that's what your school is calling certain lights, I'd say your medical education is somewhat suspect. Ask for a refund.

Last edited:
...but there is usually one either on the wall or rolling one somewhere around. ...

At many hospitals, this is simply a false statement, and thus bad advice. Med students NEED to talk to upper classmen at THEIR facility. There may be a VERY REAL NEED to own one for certain rotations/hospitals. In the 200+ hospitals that med students do rotations at, I assure you that a very sizeable percentage (probably more than half) won't have scopes on the wall or readily accessible outside of the EDs/clinics, but the attendings will expect med students to have done the exam on patients on the wards nonetheless. So many many many med students will need to own a scope. Again, it needn't be a good one or an expensive one, but you may have to physically have daily access to one during some rotations. Ebay or purchasing from upper classmen is the way to go if you end up needing one, as MANY OF US most definitely did.

It is worthless unless you plan on going into ophthalmology. No other specialty is required or expected to visualize the optic disc in practice. Keep in mind that this doesn't mean that they won't still make their med students do it, but there is usually one either on the wall or rolling one somewhere around. You may have to work a little harder to find the rolling one, but you will save $500 in the process.

You do know that ophthalmologists don't use handheld ophthalmoscopes correct?

In our program during your neuro rotation you absolutely had better have had your scope on you at all times. There are none in the wards (only in the ED and clinics) and every attending expected you to have done optho exams on all the patients. I also found I needed to fetch my own scope at least once during both peds and IM, so it wasn't a bad idea to keep one in your backpack for those rotations as well. Your program may have been different, but advising people not to get one when a lot of programs require one is unhelpful. Folks should talk to upperclassmen. i have no idea what a "hoohoo light" is, but if that's what your school is calling certain lights, I'd say your medical education is somewhat suspect. Ask for a refund.

Hey man, your school is the one that doesn't even have opth/otoscopes in the exam rooms. I've rotated at 7 hospitals thus far and several clinics and never once needed, nor been expected to have, my own scope. Maybe you should ask for a refund?

No other specialty is required or expected to visualize the optic disc in practice.

Not true. As already mentioned, neurologists must visualize the optic disk as part of their exam. By extension, emergency physicians and primary care docs also need to occasionally the optic whenever there is a neuro or headache complaint. Having your own scope is definitely needed on some rotations during third year. Find the cheapest you can get.