Pursue Bsn or finish up different BA degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organicdoctor1

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I just finished two years of undergrad with a 2.2 gpa due to lack of focus, self-discipline, etc. and I'm curious to know if you guys think there's still a possibility of med-school if I were to finish these next two years(retake some science classes) with a 4.0 each quarter? Or should I instead try to pursue a BSN then maybe try to apply to medical school with a high enough gpa? Assuming I perform well on the MCAT of course, but just trying to see if I have a chance and which direction I should take from here if I do! I realize they're hypotheticals but any info/advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody,

I just finished two years of undergrad with a 2.2 gpa due to lack of focus, self-discipline, etc. and I'm curious to know if you guys think there's still a possibility of med-school if I were to finish these next two years(retake some science classes) with a 4.0 each quarter? Or should I instead try to pursue a BSN then maybe try to apply to medical school with a high enough gpa? Assuming I perform well on the MCAT of course, but just trying to see if I have a chance and which direction I should take from here if I do! I realize they're hypotheticals but any info/advice is appreciated!

Find a GPA calculator online and come back with an estimation based on the number of completed credits at a 2.2 and the number of anticipated future credits at a 4.0. That will help.

I don’t want to be discouraging, but it’s not typical for C students to suddenly start earning straight As, especially as you enter your upper division coursework. What are you doing to address your academic issues?

Reactions: 1 user
You need to do well in all science classes before you assume a high MCAT. Finish BSN, then do post-bac for science classes. This will give you time to improve your study habits and put your core sciences closer to your MCAT date.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not impossible to get into a US MD school but it's highly improbable.

If you complete the next 2 years with a 4.0 (which is an unrealistic assumption) your cumulative GPA will be ~3.1, which is well below the national average for matriculants. If you spent 3 years you could bring it up to ~3.3, which is still pretty low but could be compensated for with an otherwise stellar application.

If I were in your position I would complete a BSN. This way, in the likely event that you are not accepted into a US MD school you have a pragmatic exit strategy into a respectable career.

In addition to the BSN, I would load up on rigorous upper level science courses (likely taking a 5th year) to bring up your cumulative GPA and demonstrate a strong upward GPA trend. This would give you the best chance for medical school. Alternatively, there exist numerous post-bacc programs for people with low GPAs to audition for medical school and often gain guaranteed interviews/acceptances after meeting certain criteria (e.g., Temple or VCU).

You could also entertain applying to DO medical schools. The merits/concessions associated with this route are well document in these forums, so I won't reinvent the wheel. Under no circumstances should you consider applying to Carribean or international medical schools.

Reactions: 2 users