Pursuit of Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disintegration93

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can't live outside of the states with the green card

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't live outside of the states with the green card

I will have a place to stay in the US as my permanent residence but I will be studying in Canada. It's doable as long as I come back after graduating.

Just to clarify, are you a Canadian Citizen obtaining and American Green card next year?

Yes!

Less time shadowing private practice, more time earning a position in the top five of your class.

Thanks!

Make sure your green card is active when applying for residencies. It will be more difficult as a Canadian graduate, and you will have to do some research on whether the program accepts applicants from non-US schools. Also, they will give you a conditional 2-year green card when you first get it, and you have to renew it to 10-year green card. During the renewal process, they would expect you to live in the States the majority of the time. This may cause some problems due to you going to dental school in Canada during the first 2 years of your green card.

You may have to apply as a straight up International applicant, which makes it harder to match into ortho here. Although, you'd have better luck matching here as an international than to match into a Canadian ortho program.