Pushing graduation to focus on EC/MCAT/Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

Is it a good idea to push off my final courses for graduation (delaying graduation) to next Fall in order to focus solely on EC's, MCAT Prep, and Applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a good idea to push off my final courses for graduation (delaying graduation) to next Fall in order to focus solely on EC's, MCAT Prep, and Applying?
Is there something missing in your question? If not, there is nothing magical about ECs, MCAT prep or applying while in school, so what difference do you think it makes whether or not you have graduated before or after doing them? If anything, graduating earlier might be better since schools seem to love gap years nowadays!

Last edited:
Is there something missing in question? If not, there is nothing magical about ECs, MCAT prep or applying while in school, so what difference do you think it makes whether or not you have graduated before or after doing them? If anything, graduating earlier might be better since schools seem to love gap years nowadays!

Gap years are definitely more common, but have any adcoms here gone on record as saying gap years are preferable? Just curious...

Members don't see this ad :)
Gap years are definitely more common, but have any adcoms here gone on record as saying gap years are preferable? Just curious...
Yup! The numbers don't lie -- 2/3 have at least one gap year, and around 5% of matriculants come from BS/MD programs, so that leaves around 1 in 4 matriculants being traditional. So, there's that.

Adcoms have been pretty careful not to discourage excellent traditional candidates from applying, since it is far from impossible to succeed. What they do go on the record saying is that they like the added maturity and experience that can only be obtained through gap years. Preferable is a loaded term, since some people are mature enough and experienced enough without it, but they are clearly in the minority. it also appears that, while all reviews are "holistic," high stats still count for a lot, so, at least at some schools, the higher your stats the less you might need the benefits provided by gap years.

Of course, YMMV! My only point in my response to your OP was that there was no advantage to staying in school if you are ready to graduate, in terms of the activities you mentioned, not so much that gap years were essential, or even preferable, for everyone.

@gyngyn? @LizzyM? @Faha? @Catalystik? @gonnif? @Goro?

Reactions: 1 users
I think if OP racked hours to the point where they dont need a gap year it wouldn't make too much of a difference. I would definitely want time working full time with my degree however.

Yup! The numbers don't lie -- 2/3 have at least one gap year, and around 5% of matriculants come from BS/MD programs, so that leaves around 1 in 4 matriculants being traditional. So, there's that.

Adcoms have been pretty careful not to discourage excellent traditional candidates from applying, since it is far from impossible to succeed. What they do go on the record saying is that they like the added maturity and experience that can only be obtained through gap years. Preferable is a loaded term, since some people are mature enough and experienced enough without it, but they are clearly in the minority. it also appears that, while all reviews are "holistic," high stats still count for a lot, so, at least at some schools, the higher your stats the less you might need the benefits provided by gap years.

Of course, YMMV! My only point in my response to your OP was that there was no advantage to staying in school if you are ready to graduate, in terms of the activities you mentioned, not so much that gap years were essential, or even preferable, for everyone.

I agree 100%. I was just feeling less badly about the lost income from my gap years. :)

Reactions: 1 user