Put on probation and struggling trying to find a way forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You've posted before about trouble right at the beginning of your PGY-2: PGY-2 and Job Is in Jeopardy (in the next few months) Prior posts mentioned trouble in your prelim PGY-1. So this isn't exactly new.

There is good news -- in your last posts I was very concerned they were going to let you go immediately. You appear to have improved those issues, now moved on to more complicated issues to address.

Advice:

1. You mentioned in your last thread that you have been diagnosed with ADHD, but are untreated because you have epilepsy. Much of your problem is probably untreated ADHD. You need to see someone and see if there is anything you can do for treatment. This could make all the difference. We recently had something very similar -- a resident who was not going well and likely was going to be non-promoted and terminated, got treatment and is now doing fine.

2. Regarding anchoring, my advice is that when you're seeing a new patient, you always need to develop a differential that is 3-5 things. No less than 3. No more than 5. At least one should be something common, and one should be something rare. Then your discussion reviews what fits / doesn't fit with each of your differentials.

Reactions: 7 users
I knew someone who got terminated from Neurology residency. At this point, your program is probably already determined they are going to fire you and are going through the motions of putting you on probation. Maybe neurology is not for you. This could be a blessing in disguise. Your program might be able to offer you a letter to switch specialties. I would start looking at back up plans now. Im not sure about your program but my program had till late January to non-renew someone. If this is your case, any mistake will give them justification and you have little time to prove yourself. Pray your program has a heart of gold and that this isn't the case.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I feel you. I was put on probation during second year residency, now I am an attending for 3+ years. Hang on in there. Take the ADHD medications if you can.

Reactions: 3 users
I know this response isn't addressing your original question, but the way you are painting this could easily be construed to mean that the patient was allowed to seize, potentially aspirated and then died as a result of your actions. Regardless of whether or not this is correct, I would suggest re-wording/deleting that part of your post.
Well now that you have quoted the OP, can it be deleted? Just wondering as you ended up doing what you suggested he or she not.

Well now that you have quoted the OP, can it be deleted? Just wondering as you ended up doing what you suggested he or she not.
It's gone now. Have been waiting for OP to edit their post with a plan to subsequently do the same with mine. Couldn't think of a way to draw attention to the specific concern without temporarily quoting the section in question.

Reactions: 2 users