Put SAT scores on Secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedStress

AMEX Black
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that a lot of secondary apps ask for optional SAT scores. When is it good to put them on? I scored a 630V and a 750M on my SAT I, and 8V, 11P, Q, 11B on the April MCAT..
should I put them down, and if so, why?

Members don't see this ad.

they ask for SAT scores?? you might as well put them since they're pretty good, and the 630V shows them your 8 verbal shouldn't have really been a 6 or 7.
at least i think your 630V is good... i know they changed the scale several years ago, so mine will look pretty bad compared to all you young whippersnappers :D

If they ask specifically for your SAT/ACT scores, just put them down. It's not going to hurt you in any way (or at least I wouldn't think so). If you omit your scores, then the anal adcom members w/ no lives may be like "hmm, I wonder why Bubba here omitted these scores from his application." So, as Nike's slogan goes...Just Do It!

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools will use your SAT score and your collegiate GPA to compare to your MCAT and possible success in medical school. If you got an average SAT score but held a 3.8 in college and then you got an average MCAT score, I would definately put down your average SAT. It shows you might have trouble testing, but that you are a hard worker. It's the same theory for admitting students who had to overcome some hardship in their life--if the student was able to work hard to carry themselves out of the hardship chances are they will use the same tenacity in their medical education. Another scenario is if you have a low GPA and high SAT scores, and high MCAT scores then it will indicate you take tests well and that the medical boards won't be too difficult. It might look like you were a slacker though in college since you obviously test well...many things to think about

well i have a 3.4 gpa from cornell as a biochem major....
so I'm still not too sure about putting my SAT scores down....
8V and a 630V...
hmm

It probably won't hurt to put them down. But it probably won't help all that much either.

Should I put it down if I totally BOMBED the sat? Will med schools ask me why I did not put down my sat score?

i would put them down especially if you bombed them -- i would be weary of putting them down if you did well and then not so well on the mcat - thats the only time is think it really refelects kinda poorly.

Originally posted by jot
i would put them down especially if you bombed them -- i would be weary of putting them down if you did well and then not so well on the mcat - thats the only time is think it really refelects kinda poorly.

weary?

I wouldn't include the SAT score unless you are trying to use them to make a point. You are marketing yourself with the applications. I took the SAT 14 yrs ago, not mentioning it. Took the GRE 6 yrs ago, not mentioning it. But I did pass the engineering exams, which I will mention. I would think the goal for your application would be to present the best up front in a concise manner so the adcoms aren't falling asleep as the try to dig thru page after page after page....I think it is useful to keep in mind that these schools get thousands of applications!

What it comes down to is whether or not you believe that a 630V 750M is a good score or not. That really is a decision for you to make.

I personally think it is decent, but not great. If it were me, I would not put it down -- it seems to confirm that you are weaker in verbal than in math/science. No need to remind them of something that is seen as a negative.

Originally posted by jot

I second that

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I think 630V is a good score. You pass a point where you show whether you test well or not. It's the same with the MCAT--sure a 40 is better than a 36 but you'll probably get into all the same schools with a 36 that you'd get into with the 40. Also being better in the sciences is not necessarilly bad as long as you show comptency in all subjects. I think a 630V is better than your 8 Verbal so it might help you to include it. A 3.4 in biochem is also decent.

what if you're messed up like me though?!?!

i scored a 510 in the SAT verbal
then I scored a 25 in the ACT english, although scoring a 35 in the Reading section

then on the MCAT , i score a 12 in verbal with an overall of 38R.

don't you think i should omit the SAT scores???

Originally posted by laviddee
what if you're messed up like me though?!?!

i scored a 510 in the SAT verbal
then I scored a 25 in the ACT english, although scoring a 35 in the Reading section

then on the MCAT , i score a 12 in verbal with an overall of 38R.

don't you think i should omit the SAT scores???

If the SAT or ACTs are optional, there is no good reason to include them if you've got a 38R. Why show them anything besides your best face?

i forgot my SAT scores....does anyone know where i can go to find them out?