hangten

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Sent in my app 7/19 (still not verified) and I started receiving secondaries as early as 7/24. I have four waiting for me to fill out but I'm retaking in August and I just don't have time. What is this two-week rule I see floating around to send out secondaries? If they're going to put my app on hold until august scores, does it look bad if I wait until after the August mcat before sending them out (if they don't have immediate deadlines)?

I can't concentrate on my review knowing they're sitting there.... Thanks for your input.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
hangten said:
Sent in my app 7/19 (still not verified) and I started receiving secondaries as early as 7/24. I have four waiting for me to fill out but I'm retaking in August and I just don't have time. What is this two-week rule I see floating around to send out secondaries? If they're going to put my app on hold until august scores, does it look bad if I wait until after the August mcat before sending them out (if they don't have immediate deadlines)?

I can't concentrate on my review knowing they're sitting there.... Thanks for your input.
Hi there,
Let the secondaries go until the MCAT is a wrap. It is likely that your application will be reviewed but nothing major so you have plenty of time to get these done. You won't get any interview invitations until your MCAT scores are in unless you have a previous MCAT score that isn't horrible but let the secondaries rest until you can devote your full attention to them. In terms of importance MCAT >>>> secondary application or in medical terms, the MCAT is a major trauma patient, the secondary application is sprained wrist. Good luck on the MCAT!

njbmd :)

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
njbmd said:
Let the secondaries go until the MCAT is a wrap.
I second what njbmd says, with a caveat. I'm in the same situation with secondaries piling up, but I think a bunch of secondaries submitted in late-August as opposed to late-July is worth it if it means more study and raising my August MCAT by even one point.

Just be sure to watch deadlines. A few schools (Northwestern comes to mind) have a deadline that's driven by when they send you the secondary, so you may be required to finish them before your MCAT. Be sure to read the fine print on deadlines.

Good luck...

About the Ads