Putting Folding@Home time on your app?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

technocrat626

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my fellow pre-med students at my school is putting his Folding@Home time on his applications. Is it just me, or does that seem a bit ridiculous?

For those of you who don't know, Folding@Home is a computer/PS3 distributed computing network run by Stanford. It simulates protein folding, and the new folds found can be used for disease treatments. You can download the client and donate your computer's idle CPU (and sometimes GPU) time to simulate folding.

Members don't see this ad.

500 hours of shadowing Dr. Mario. Of course I put that.

Members don't see this ad :)
If he were sacrificing his own productive time, rather than his computer's idle time, to some good cause, then it might be worth considering. Probably not.

Beyond ridiculous. I logged many thousands of hours on Folding@home and Rosetta, and never in a million years would I put that on an app.

Now, if my computer decided to apply to medical school, I would totally advocate that it puts it on its app.

The admissions committee wants a pre-med hoop-jumping freakshow? They'll get one.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Yeah, I put COD: Black Ops on my app. Only because I am the guy who specifically targets campers and never steals kills. I am helping the world out, killing 1 n00b at a time.

First LOL of the day, please thank the guy for me

What about this?

operation.jpg

I always choose to be a medic when playing Battlefield. It got me in to med school.

This. Especially in BF3. I always prioritize rezzing people over getting kills. I'm a true adherent of the hippocratic oath.