trying

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
285
0
Visit site
Status
So I finally gave in and realized that taking the test in August will be the best decision. I registred for April back in January when I was feeling all motivated and I called to postpone the test and they told me I would only get $100 back. Is this what you guys have seen in years past?
 

medanthgirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
318
0
casa bonita
Status
trying said:
So I finally gave in and realized that taking the test in August will be the best decision. I registred for April back in January when I was feeling all motivated and I called to postpone the test and they told me I would only get $100 back. Is this what you guys have seen in years past?
I've heard of that happening, and if you had just not gone the day of the test, i don't think you'd be eligible to recieve any money back.

I have also postponed until August, but I hadn't registered yet. I started studying in Decemeber, but have not been able to get more than 4-5 hours/week done. I'm working time and a half right now, which will end in May, so August for me is the best decision I think. sigh, it's hard, but i guess it also give me motivation to try to kick butt in August. :luck:
 
OP
T

trying

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
285
0
Visit site
Status
Yeah, a lot of my friends are just pushing their way through it and I feel like this is the last step before I apply and I want to do it right. The extra year off will actually be really great and I am looking forward to it.
 

Sartre79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
629
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Will you guys still be applying for 2006 entering? I am debating what to do as well. I just dont think I could do well if I took it in april...but dont want to wait another year. Any opinions?
 
OP
T

trying

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
285
0
Visit site
Status
I am gonna wait for 2007. Its just one year off. I used to think that taking a year off would make me the biggest looser, but I am lining up a lot of great internships (in Washington DC at the NIH) and volunteer opportunities abroad. I think its gonna be a great year.

Sartre79 said:
Will you guys still be applying for 2006 entering? I am debating what to do as well. I just dont think I could do well if I took it in april...but dont want to wait another year. Any opinions?
 
M

moogy

trying said:
I am gonna wait for 2007. Its just one year off. I used to think that taking a year off would make me the biggest looser, but I am lining up a lot of great internships (in Washington DC at the NIH) and volunteer opportunities abroad. I think its gonna be a great year.
i'm waiting a year for 2007 admission as well. i need a couple more semesters to pull up my gpa, and i think the summer will really help me to better prepare for the mcat. i'll be doing hardcore reviewing until summer, and the summer will be dedicated to practice mcats/passages (i have 29 practice mcats :eek: ) and reviewing stuff i'm not solid on. i'll be studying abroad in japan for a semester during my extra year =P i'm gonna be one of those newbs walking around tokyo speaking in broken japanese (i hear everyone compliments you on how good your japanese is, but you know they're laughing inside :p)

i think waiting til august is a good idea since you're applying next year, good luck.
 

marglinw

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
31
0
Status
Just to let you know, people all the time back out because they are being unrealistic about projected scores. I assure you that MCAT performance relies mostly on developed study habits and developed abilities to reason. Most people postpone, and postpone the inevitable. I wish you best of luck!

trying said:
So I finally gave in and realized that taking the test in August will be the best decision. I registred for April back in January when I was feeling all motivated and I called to postpone the test and they told me I would only get $100 back. Is this what you guys have seen in years past?
 

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
4,638
49
Cali
Its a very tempting option, but i heard taht ur app will be at a great disadvantage if ur applying this coming year.
 

Tinker Creek

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
162
0
Status
NRAI2001 said:
Its a very tempting option, but i heard taht ur app will be at a great disadvantage if ur applying this coming year.
what do you mean?
 

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
4,638
49
Cali
Tinker Creek said:
what do you mean?
Bc of the rolling admissions system people who submit their applications earlier have an advantage. If you take the august mcat and are planning to apply in the up coming cycle ur app will be really delayed bc u have to wait for the mcat scores to come out in october or so. I don't know how much of a disadvantage this puts u at, but it certainly doesn't help from what i ve heard.
 

Chr147

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
37
0
Status
my friend got a 38 on the MCATS and had a 3.8GPA from UCLA (biology major) but he took the mcats in august (so he applied to medical school late). He didn't get in anywhere.
 

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
4,638
49
Cali
Chr147 said:
my friend got a 38 on the MCATS and had a 3.8GPA from UCLA (biology major) but he took the mcats in august (so he applied to medical school late). He didn't get in anywhere.
I don't think it puts u at that huge of a disadvantage, maybe he was lackign in other parts of his app. Did he do any EC's?
 

medanthgirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
318
0
casa bonita
Status
i've heard those rumors as well, but i'm applying for special master's programs (SMPs) and most don't start taking apps until dec. anyway.

i've had friends that took august and didn't get in, but it seemed to be for other reasons as well...however both resolved to reapply and turn their apps in the day AAMCS opened for applicants, i guess to follow that philosophy.
 

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
1,639
12
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
please don't make major decisions based on incomplete info. Plenty of people take the August MCAT and get in to med school. One anecdotal story does not provide a complete picture. I took the Aug MCAT and had interviews at 12/15 schools plus multiple acceptances and a full scholarship offer.

Yes, it is a disadvantage at rolling schools esp the highly competitive (e.g. UCSF, Mayo, etc.), but for most of us it is much more important to get a good score the first time round. Also, you are sabotaging yourself if you wait until the end of October to submit your AMCAS; you need to turn it in before you get your MCAT score, although this means you can lose a lot of money if you end up with a crap score.

Re the half-refund - that is what they do, keep half of what you paid. That's why it sometimes makes sense to take it in April and void, just for practice.
 

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
4,638
49
Cali
MeowMix said:
please don't make major decisions based on incomplete info. Plenty of people take the August MCAT and get in to med school. One anecdotal story does not provide a complete picture. I took the Aug MCAT and had interviews at 12/15 schools plus multiple acceptances and a full scholarship offer.

Yes, it is a disadvantage at rolling schools esp the highly competitive (e.g. UCSF, Mayo, etc.), but for most of us it is much more important to get a good score the first time round. Also, you are sabotaging yourself if you wait until the end of October to submit your AMCAS; you need to turn it in before you get your MCAT score, although this means you can lose a lot of money if you end up with a crap score.

Re the half-refund - that is what they do, keep half of what you paid. That's why it sometimes makes sense to take it in April and void, just for practice.
So do u think it puts u in a disadvantage at only highly competitive schools?
 

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
1,639
12
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Certainly there are people who get in to all the great schools with August MCAT; often these are people with stellar applications anyway. I think if this is a major consideration, you should contact schools individually and see what they tell you. But your decision should still be driven by whether you have adequate time to study and prepare. You can always take in August and put off applying for a year. It should only strengthen your application, if you put the year to good use, and you can have a good time while you're at it.
 

Akshay

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
66
0
34
California
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
MeowMix said:
Re the half-refund - that is what they do, keep half of what you paid. That's why it sometimes makes sense to take it in April and void, just for practice.

This is what I decided to do. I'm sure I wont be able to do well in April althought I'm preparing for it will all my might. If at the end of the day I dont feel well about how the test went I might just end up walkin up to the proctor and ask for the test to be voided. I guess the most painful part of this is watching someone destroy your whole day's work. But the experience is what will make me perform better the next time. oh WELL, I'm sorta on the same boat here but wish ya'll gluck. Also, Does the score scale/curve/percentile change with August MCAT since most will or shud be better prepared for it compared to the April?? what do ya'll think??
 

NontradICUdoc

Why so Serious?????
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
2,431
264
45
Philadelphia Area
Status
Attending Physician
I am also registered for the April test but the more I think about the less I think that I will be ready. And while I still plan on applying this June, I think that the 3 momths or so that I am delayed in getting my application in will pale in comparison to the set back I will suffer should I take the April test and screw up.

I wont make my final decision probably until the end of March
 

Akshay

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
66
0
34
California
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
EMT2ER-DOC said:
Decision made.

Will postpone until August, I need more time.

Ever think about computer-based MCAT....heard the scores are released in just one month instead of the usual 2?? Correct me if I'm wrong....anyone looking into this possibility?
 

MoonShiNe

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
24
0
Status
Akshay said:
This is what I decided to do. I'm sure I wont be able to do well in April althought I'm preparing for it will all my might. If at the end of the day I dont feel well about how the test went I might just end up walkin up to the proctor and ask for the test to be voided. I guess the most painful part of this is watching someone destroy your whole day's work. But the experience is what will make me perform better the next time. oh WELL, I'm sorta on the same boat here but wish ya'll gluck. Also, Does the score scale/curve/percentile change with August MCAT since most will or shud be better prepared for it compared to the April?? what do ya'll think??

This is a tough decision.. :mad:
 

NontradICUdoc

Why so Serious?????
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
2,431
264
45
Philadelphia Area
Status
Attending Physician
The fact that you take the August test versus the April test only affects when your application is sent. One is not better than the other.

I felt a little dissapointed with myself but I have come to the conclusion that it is better to have my application delayed by a few months than trying to explain a poor MCAT score and why I took it if I was not ready.

Think about it. You want to take this test only once. I have already taken it twice about 10 years ago. I only want to take it one more time and it has to count. Since I am doing significantly better now than I did when I was an undergraduate, a poor MCAT score will be amplified. If I put it off until I know that I am ready and get a good score, then my trend is legitamite (sp?).

Take the test when you are ready to take it, not when you think that you will be at an advantage over others. BEcause the playing feild is pretty level when it comes to this test.

Besides, since they will make the test computerized in 2007 and make it available 20 times a year instead of 2, do you think that anyone will be at any disadvantage anymore?

the two tests are the exact same thing. One is not better than the other.