Putting travel awards on CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My department has a semesterly travel award that people who have gone to conferences during the previous semester can apply for. It's very explicitly *not* guaranteed money if you apply, but I haven't personally seen them request anything more than proof of presentation and receipts, though they reserve the right to request additional materials.

I didn't consider putting these travel awards (usually a few hundred dollars) on my CV, but I recently saw that recent grad from our department had them on hers as awards, which made me reconsider if I should put them on there. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on how the award recepients are selected. If it is a first-come first served kinda thing (like it was at my grad school) then I would not list it. If it is based on the merits of your product (talk or poster) then I would list it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have received a competitive university-wide travel award at my school which I put on my CV. They only gave out one and graduate students from the entire university could apply for that.

I don't put the travel "awards" on my CV that pretty much everyone gets, even if they're technically not guaranteed.

How about merit based award and fellowships granted by the dep. or U? Also, how about independent research conduced on a contractual basis (e.g., 10 hrs or so) for psychologists who need lit./pdf files and/or brief write-ups re: special research topics for presentations etc.? The latter is a little off topic but still...I have done it twice and wondered about putting that on my resume.

I didn't tend to put them on mine unless they were complemented by a nomination for outstanding poster or whatever at the conference. I felt that drew more attention to that. Otherwise, eh. there are bigger fish on the C.V. imho.

How about merit based award and fellowships granted by the dep. or U? Also, how about independent research conduced on a contractual basis (e.g., 10 hrs or so) for psychologists who need lit./pdf files and/or brief write-ups re: special research topics for presentations etc.? The latter is a little off topic but still...I have done it twice and wondered about putting that on my resume.

I think any kind of financial merit award should be listed since it's not something everyone gets when they go into graduate programs.