Pysical Science strategies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUBDUBB

Freakaholic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's got some good strategies for PS?

I've taken two kaplan practice exams so far and find that I can never finish the damn PS section?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Cerberus
dont read the passage right off the bat. Usually, many questions can be answered without reading it at all.

Yeah, agree with Cerb. It will save you lots of time. Just make sure you don't apply this strategy for the Bio Section though.

Originally posted by solid snake
Yeah, agree with Cerb. It will save you lots of time. Just make sure you don't apply this strategy for the Bio Section though.

Actually, it works better with bio for me than PS. But, yeah, just skim the passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
This may sound strange, but look at the numbers for a calucalation problem, and see which one seems logical. I can usually narrow it down to 2 choices just by looking at units (eg micrometers- 10^ -6) for remembering equations, I tend to use dimensional analysis and work my way backwords. (eg) Units for Voltage=Volt= J/C= w/qo :) Hope that helps.

When I studied for the PS section, I wrote out a couple of pages of physics and chemistry formulas and memorized them. Almost all of the physics questions can be answered if you only know the correct formula to use. They are mostly relationship problems. Something to the effect of: "if you increased the distance between the earth and moon by two fold, what would happen to the gravitational force?" Also, many of the chemistry problems are similar in that if you know the formulas and variables, you can solve them easily. I tried to study concepts the first round of the MCAT and didn't do so well on PS. The second time, I only studied formulas and did much better. Also, I agree with the previous posters. Don't get bogged down reading the passages. Give them a good skim over. Most of the data for answering any questions will be given in the tables. I used the Nova Press Physics Review book and it helped me a lot. The method of questioning is very similar to the MCAT and prepared me well for it. Hope this helps and good luck.