1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Q about doctors' salaries

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chef, Apr 29, 2002.

1. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I hear people constantly mentioning salary differences for academic physicians vs private practice. (~80k vs 300k/yr) However, as far as I can understand an academic physician earns a true salary: it doesn't matter if one sees 10 or 100 patients a day, he'll always get paid the same montly salary by the hospital/university.

However, when you are in private practice, you are in control of your hours, # of patients, what type of procedures to do, etc, so in fact I think the term salary does not apply to private practioners, but rather "earned income" might be more suitable? For example, how can you assign a "starting salary" for private practice IM docs at city X if doc A works like a dog but doc B works 9-4, 4 times a week?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

When you have a private practice, it is kind of risky because there are a lot practices loose money. When you work for a university HMOs take care of that :)
    However, I still want to own my own practice...