SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Q about Major Classes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pbehzad, Aug 4, 2002.

1. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Atl and soon to be OKC
    Im not majoring in science and I was wondering does it look bad if i took most of my major classes my senior year when adcoms would not see them? By the time i apply, i would only have like 4 classes in my major (international studies), and would take most of my major classes senior year. The reason for this is cause i wanted to take as many sciences (mainly biology classes) to prepare myself for mcat. also i was wondering do you think 1 semester of biochem is enough for the mcat?
    any help is appreciated. thanks.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist 10+ Year Member

May 23, 2002
    You don't really need the extra science classes for the mcat. I never took biochem and did fine on the biological section. You should probably take it before medschool, though. Many of my friends who were bio or chem majors said that their advanced coursework did them little good.
  4. Bikini Princess

Bikini Princess 7+ Year Member

May 26, 2002
    I don't know that any adcoms are concerned with when you complete your in-major classes. My understanding is that courses in molecular biology and biochemistry are helpful for the biology section of the mcat, although they are not essential.
    Personally I felt that my mol. bio & biochem classes really helped my bio score, but as dr octopus pointed out above, they aren't essential.
  5. 8744

8744 Guest

Dec 7, 2001
    Worse yet, I guessed on all the MCAT organic chemistry questions. Not even educated guesses. Just outright guesses except for maybe a couple of the obvious ones.

Even though I took all the requred organic chemistry classes and made an "A" in all of them, my university had a weak chemistry program with embarressing grade inflation.

I still managed a respectable score on the MCAT. Not outstanding but decent. Organic chemistry only accounts for about a quarter of the questions on one section of the test which means it only accounts for 1/12 of your entire combined score.

Call me lazy. Call me ignorant. I only applied to our two state medical schools here in Louisiana and was accepted to both. If you are applying to Harvard you might want to disregard the previous!

So don't stress about it. You do not need to know any organic chemistry when you walk through the doors of medical school. You will learn everything you need in biochem.

Incidently, undergraduate organic chemistry is taught with an emphasis on molecular structure, details of reactions, and "following the electrons." This is all very nice...but not essential knowledge. You can pretty much fake it, unless you go to a PBL school where you might be forced to actually learn all of the pathways to present to your group.

P. Bear
  6. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy 7+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Atl and soon to be OKC
    so do you think it would look better if i took some major classes instead of some upper level bios? would it show well-roundedness or would the adcoms assume that being an intl studies major is well-rounded?