Q about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metview

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked on a single project which I presented the abstract at a national conference. Several months later, I wrote up the manuscript and it got published as a full length publication in journal. Can I list this as both a poster presentation and a published journal article under ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked on a single project which I presented the abstract at a national conference. Several months later, I wrote up the manuscript and it got published as a full length publication in journal. Can I list this as both a poster presentation and a published journal article under ERAS?
You can...but that's stupid.

It's a publication. Unless you presented the plenary talk at a national meeting, nobody gives a s*** about your abstract.

List the publication. That's where the money is. Congratulations on getting it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you can list both, if you'd like. Gutonc is "a real researcher". Has a PhD and all that jazz. In his/her world, correctly, a poster presentation is noise and not worth listing.

In my world (and probably the OP's world), the poster may seem like a "bigger deal", and I think it's fine to list both. Shows that you did a project, presented as a poster, and then followed through and got it published.

If you presented the same project/poster at multiple meetings, I would choose only one to list, whichever you think is the best.

Bottom line is that it's not going to matter much either way. I agree that the manuscript will hold much more weight for those programs that care about these sorts of things. It would be interesting if ERAS could change their system to better address this -- have you list a project, and then all outcomes (i.e. posters, manuscripts) from that project.

If you (or someone else reading this in the future) has lots of manuscripts, then I wouldn't clutter your application up with poster noise at all. But if you only have one project with a poster and a paper, it's fine to list both.

Reactions: 1 user
I will say that in many places, an oral presentation (not necessarily the plenary, but an oral presentation) is a bigger deal than standing up next to your poster and asking questions. So if that's what you mean by a presentation at a national conference, then by all means, list that separately. If you mean a poster presentation, then listing the manuscript is going to be more impactful.

But yeah, probably not going to matter either way.