Q bank during 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cattyjane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it wise to start doing UWorld while on rotations throughout 3rd year for shelf and step2 prep?
Or is it better off to leave the questions to the month before step 2 for a powerboost?

Members don't see this ad.

As I've seen Depakote (I think) mention several times, including when I asked pretty much this same thing, almost everyone who uses UW during the school year is glad they did. And, what's more important, Honoring X,Y, and Z rotations, or saving questions for _maybe_ doing better on Step 2? I'd gladly take Honors across the board, if I were to be so lucky.

Is it wise to start doing UWorld while on rotations throughout 3rd year for shelf and step2 prep?
Or is it better off to leave the questions to the month before step 2 for a powerboost?

I used USMLE World for every rotation and now i'm using it for Step 2 review. Shelf scores ranged from 81-94 raw. I'm re-doing the questions right now for the 2nd time (3rd time in some cases just because I repeated them throughout the year) and I honestly have only come across one question that I actually remembered the answer because I remembered seeing the question. So in my experience this goes against the "save it for Step 2" argument. Also consider the fact that your grades during 3rd year are going to count infinitely more than your Step 2 score for most specialties and shelf exams are usually a big part of those 3rd year grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
My argument against using UW on the shelf exams is exactly that...to save it for step 2. If your whole rotation grade depended solely on a shelf exam, then I'd say use what guns you have for it but it doesn't. More often than not, the shelf exam encompasses less than 50% of your grade (this may be institution dependent). Aside from UW there are a lot of other great resources for shelf exams like pretest for some, blueprint cases for others, or case files or MKSAP for IM. Therefore, UW becomes merely a secondary if not tertiary source. Something you do when you have spare time or run out of other things to do.

However, UW for step 2 is the KEY question bank. Exposure to more questions usually = greater results. You can memorize the question but that doesn't mean you can manipulate that information and answer another question correctly. People who do UW twice for step 1 and get significantly higher % average 2nd time around, usually perform to whatever correlation their first run percentage is any how with maybe a few point increases.

I believe doing 2 different Qbanks would benefit you the most because you get exposure to more types of questions as well as saving UW for the end. Performing well on rotations require more than just UW but performing well on Step 2 depends heavily on good use of UW.

My argument against using UW on the shelf exams is exactly that...to save it for step 2. If your whole rotation grade depended solely on a shelf exam, then I'd say use what guns you have for it but it doesn't. More often than not, the shelf exam encompasses less than 50% of your grade (this may be institution dependent). Aside from UW there are a lot of other great resources for shelf exams like pretest for some, blueprint cases for others, or case files or MKSAP for IM. Therefore, UW becomes merely a secondary if not tertiary source. Something you do when you have spare time or run out of other things to do.

However, UW for step 2 is the KEY question bank. Exposure to more questions usually = greater results. You can memorize the question but that doesn't mean you can manipulate that information and answer another question correctly. People who do UW twice for step 1 and get significantly higher % average 2nd time around, usually perform to whatever correlation their first run percentage is any how with maybe a few point increases.

I believe doing 2 different Qbanks would benefit you the most because you get exposure to more types of questions as well as saving UW for the end. Performing well on rotations require more than just UW but performing well on Step 2 depends heavily on good use of UW.

Do you have an evidence to back this up? If you do USMLE World more than 1 time of course you can expect your scores on the question bank to go up. Even if you DO remember the questions the 2nd time around, if you actually read through the explanations for a 2nd time you're going to solidify information that you learned the first time around and pick up on things you forgot. Throughout 3rd year I didn't read a single book ONCE - I read review books at least twice. Doing USMLE World a second time and reading the explanations will certainly help just as it did when I was studying for shelf exams. I'm not arguing that more questions isn't better I'm just sticking to my previous post in saying that you probably won't remember many of the questions anyways (unless your last rotation is IM and you did most of the bank in the month before you study for Step 2).

I think doing the QBank during the third year is a good idea, and if you have the drive to actually do it you will ultimately benefit from it. The concept of "saving questions for Step 2" seems only theoretical. The percentages may be off, but realistically the predictive value of UWorld isn't why you should be making the purchase. It's a question of giving yourself the exposure to get used to the way questions are presented.

There are 2200+ questions, so realistically you'll have a few that slip out of your memory after a while. It's certainly a good idea to go through UWorld twice, so to actually give yourself the time to achieve that should work out nicely.

Do you have an evidence to back this up? If you do USMLE World more than 1 time of course you can expect your scores on the question bank to go up. Even if you DO remember the questions the 2nd time around, if you actually read through the explanations for a 2nd time you're going to solidify information that you learned the first time around and pick up on things you forgot. Throughout 3rd year I didn't read a single book ONCE - I read review books at least twice. Doing USMLE World a second time and reading the explanations will certainly help just as it did when I was studying for shelf exams. I'm not arguing that more questions isn't better I'm just sticking to my previous post in saying that you probably won't remember many of the questions anyways (unless your last rotation is IM and you did most of the bank in the month before you study for Step 2).

I agree with kdburton on this one.

I managed to get through UWorld once during 3rd year and once during Step 2 study. My scores felt a little inflated that 2nd time around, but I really felt like I had learned a lot and retained a lot. I was getting the majority of questions based on knowledge, not the fact that I'd seen them before. I think a second run-through helped me on step 2.

The questions I did remember tended to be the :wtf: questions that I wound up doing 3-4 times b/c I kept doing them until I understood them during 3rd year.

I just finished my 1st readings of kaplan LN (took me 2 weeks), also glanced over secrets, and wondering if should I do a self-assessment test before I start practicing a Q-bank? And which one NBME or UW self-assessment test should I start with, or doesn't really matter? I heard that UW can't be taken more than once, you can revise wrong qs though.

hey depakote what states are you applying to?

i wouldn't mind chillin you seem like a pretty cool dude :thumbup:

I just finished my 1st readings of kaplan LN (took me 2 weeks), also glanced over secrets, and wondering if should I do a self-assessment test before I start practicing a Q-bank? And which one NBME or UW self-assessment test should I start with, or doesn't really matter? I heard that UW can't be taken more than once, you can revise wrong qs though.

Is it advisable to start self-assessment with NBME or UWSA. I am down to the later as it is cheaper. Any suggestions please?

Is it advisable to start self-assessment with NBME or UWSA. I am down to the later as it is cheaper. Any suggestions please?

The consensus is that NBME form 2 is the most accurate predictor of your Step 2 performance.

UWSA does give you your answers as well as explanations.

NBME form 4 has the option for expanded feedback which allows you to view the questions you missed.

The free 137 questions that come with the practice FRED 2.0 interface are good to do, and you can go through again to see your answers, but the consensus seems to be that there isn't a good way to predict your score based on your performance.

Which one(s) to do depend on how much time you have and what you want to get out of it. If you're looking to get a good review, then the UWSA will do the best job explaining the right/wrong answers. If you're looking for score prediction, go for NBME #2. If you want something in between, NBME #4. You might throw the Free 137 in just to get a feel for what you'll see on test day... they are probably the best representation of what you'll come across.

i got a 204 on nbme3 (lol dunno what happened)
259 on uworld self assessment a few weeks ago
245 on nbme4 taken today. the extra 15$ for explanations was stupid because it only tells you the # of Qs you got wrong and doesn't give the correct answers. i got 26 wrong in total

my step1 was 247 so i'm assuming my CK score will be somewhere around there.

The consensus is that NBME form 2 is the most accurate predictor of your Step 2 performance.

UWSA does give you your answers as well as explanations.

NBME form 4 has the option for expanded feedback which allows you to view the questions you missed.

The free 137 questions that come with the practice FRED 2.0 interface are good to do, and you can go through again to see your answers, but the consensus seems to be that there isn't a good way to predict your score based on your performance.

Which one(s) to do depend on how much time you have and what you want to get out of it. If you're looking to get a good review, then the UWSA will do the best job explaining the right/wrong answers. If you're looking for score prediction, go for NBME #2. If you want something in between, NBME #4. You might throw the Free 137 in just to get a feel for what you'll see on test day... they are probably the best representation of what you'll come across.

Thank you for the detailed reply. In fact, I have done the free-137 questions came with the orientation from USMLE.org. And I did pretty well on that. But as you have said they are not a good predictor of the performance. But they are of decent level of difficulty.

To be honest, what I am looking for now is prediction of the performance. For better explanation and study tool, as I am going to purchace UWorld and do a s much as I can.

Thanks again for the reply.

i got a 204 on nbme3 (lol dunno what happened)
259 on uworld self assessment a few weeks ago
245 on nbme4 taken today. the extra 15$ for explanations was stupid because it only tells you the # of Qs you got wrong and doesn't give the correct answers. i got 26 wrong in total

my step1 was 247 so i'm assuming my CK score will be somewhere around there.

Are you sure about that?! That's shocking cause I was planning to use it later. I thought it'll give you correct answers and show you what are your areas of weakness. So what is the difference then if we used the ordinary NBME#4 without the ''expanded feedback''?

Are you sure about that?! That's shocking cause I was planning to use it later. I thought it'll give you correct answers and show you what are your areas of weakness. So what is the difference then if we used the ordinary NBME#4 without the ''expanded feedback''?

it tells you the # of Qs you got wrong from each discipline and shows you each incorrectly answered question. i don't see correct answers or explanations anywhere. you also can't see the questions you answered correctly.

this is basically what you get for 15$

http://imgur.com/ZUDiu.png

it tells you the # of Qs you got wrong from each discipline and shows you each incorrectly answered question. i don't see correct answers or explanations anywhere. you also can't see the questions you answered correctly.

Thanks for the input. I don't know what is the deal in getting that form then. If it tells the # of wrong qs, without knowing even total number of qs in each discipline, you can't predict where are you standig. Plus, average of marked qs is not of a big help, since not all marked questions are wrong!

Click on the blue links(those will show you the questions by specific discipline or the total you got wrong), and if you need further spoon feeding let me know.
To the next poster, Yes, you get the feedback in that they show you the questions you got wrong.

Click on the blue links(those will show you the questions by specific discipline or the total you got wrong), and if you need further spoon feeding let me know.
To the next poster, Yes, you get the feedback in that they show you the questions you got wrong.

and shows you each incorrectly answered question

don't patronize me if your reading comprehension sucks