Q-bank score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAV

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
Which score should I be getting on the first run doing q-bank to be more or less certain that I will pass Step 1? I am scoring at about 70%
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you stay in that range, I'm sure you'll pass, but Qbank is a bad predictor of scores. Take the online assessments on nbme.com, which were designed as a score predictor.

kcrd said:
If you stay in that range, I'm sure you'll pass, but Qbank is a bad predictor of scores. Take the online assessments on nbme.com, which were designed as a score predictor.

QBank can be frustrating...sometimes you get these really obscure questions that don't seem indicative of actual Step 1 content. Still, it's an awesome resource! I've heard that it's much like other Kaplan materials, especially their MCAT prep stuff...they make their questions much tougher so that when you actually take Step 1 you feel better about its difficulty level, and generally do better than they predicted. I hope it's true! I've been getting 60-75% after about 3 weeks of studying, and I'm starting to worry a bit...Step 1 is coming up for me in mid-January!!! :(

GAV said:
Hello folks,
Which score should I be getting on the first run doing q-bank to be more or less certain that I will pass Step 1? I am scoring at about 70%
Thanks

Q bank was the answer for me to boards
I made sure i read every explanation for every question i did (i finished every question and got half way through the ones i missed). By the end i was averaging 80% correct...
70% correct will absolutely get u a passing score

all i can say is FINISH Q BANK FIRST
i got a 257 on boards thanks to q bank

Members don't see this ad :)
on a similar note, SLICK, what is the best way you reccommend to approach qbank. After you study the material? And then go through it, read all the explanations, and then keep going until you finish and then come back and hit the questions you missed? So, how can one get an accurate representation of their percentages? Like the 70-80% that you should be getting is averaging during the first time or the second. Wouldn't going thru the second time slant the actual validity of the scores? Please advise. Thanks

HT

its absolutely pointless to go through qbank twice (if you wanna use the score for any predictive purposes). most people barely have enough time to go through it once. you should go through it once but thoroughly (reading all explanations).

I just put together my Step 1 study schedule and it looks like it will take me about 4 months to review and get through all of Qbank. How are people doing their board prep in 3 and 4 weeks?? Just a question?

Doc Ivy said:
How are people doing their board prep in 3 and 4 weeks?? Just a question?

Full-time, 8-10 hrs/day, that's how! I've gone through BRS Path, First-Aid, BRS Physio and Clinical Micro Made Rediculously Simple in about 3 weeks, plus I've done about 25% of the QBank questions. 3-4 weeks is definitely doable, although you can hardly expect a 250.

(here's a popular schedule: http://www.mdtool.com/step1guide.html)

TommyGunn04 said:
Full-time, 8-10 hrs/day, that's how! I've gone through BRS Path, First-Aid, BRS Physio and Clinical Micro Made Rediculously Simple in about 3 weeks, plus I've done about 25% of the QBank questions. 3-4 weeks is definitely doable, although you can hardly expect a 250.

(here's a popular schedule: http://www.mdtool.com/step1guide.html)

isn't it hard to stick c that schedule? When do you take boards?

HiddenTruth said:
isn't it hard to stick c that schedule? When do you take boards?

Yeah, I think the schedule from the mdtool.com site is a bit rushed. There's no way I could get through BRS Path in the 4 days they suggest; the same goes for the Clincal Micro book. I'm just a day over 3 weeks of studying now and I'm not even finished going through everything ONCE! But I still have another 3 weeks or so before I take Step 1, and I think 4-6 weeks is pretty optimal if you're doing it full-time. It's easy to get burned out doing this stuff though!

But my feeling is that if you're studying over an extended period of time, like 4 months, it's extremely difficult to retain the obscure details from the first month of studying that you need to know for the exam 3-4 months later. Differentiation between Fabre's, Gaucher's, Tay-Sachs, Hurlers, Hunters, and the like doesn't lend itself to very long term memory, at least for me.

TommyGunn04 said:
But my feeling is that if you're studying over an extended period of time, like 4 months, it's extremely difficult to retain the obscure details from the first month of studying that you need to know for the exam 3-4 months later. Differentiation between Fabre's, Gaucher's, Tay-Sachs, Hurlers, Hunters, and the like doesn't lend itself to very long term memory, at least for me.

I totally agree with you Tommy, I guess my schedule is 3.5 months of brushing up on old stuff, to get to the point where I'm back in touch with the material, getting the framework back together. Then I have 2 weeks to purely dedicate to board study which looks a lot like the medfools schedule that you posted where the details will get cemented. But to just start from scratch with 3 weeks to go sounds like a recipe for disaster.

slickrikk said:
Q bank was the answer for me to boards
I made sure i read every explanation for every question i did (i finished every question and got half way through the ones i missed). By the end i was averaging 80% correct...
70% correct will absolutely get u a passing score

all i can say is FINISH Q BANK FIRST
i got a 257 on boards thanks to q bank

Hey I sent you a PM so check your mail!

HiddenTruth said:
on a similar note, SLICK, what is the best way you reccommend to approach qbank. After you study the material? And then go through it, read all the explanations, and then keep going until you finish and then come back and hit the questions you missed? So, how can one get an accurate representation of their percentages? Like the 70-80% that you should be getting is averaging during the first time or the second. Wouldn't going thru the second time slant the actual validity of the scores? Please advise. Thanks

HT

q bank percentage is locked in once u finish the first go round; don't worry about the validity, reliability ish.

study more at first; study and do q bank equally; then do q bank more than studying

you'll have to figure out this time line based on how many weeks you'll be studying

get in the 70-80% range and you should be confident that you'll do well on boards

above 80% and you're money

READ ALL EXPLANATIONS
READ ANSWERS FIRST; THEN THE QUESTION
BUILD UP YOUR CONFIDENCE

if u want more info then private message me
its too hard to weed through the messages and reply