Q banks and Section packs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calizboosted76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently studying for the MCAT. I have been doing content review and it has increased my score on TPR diagnostics even though it is still very low (489) I did two weeks of content review so far and took this practice test. I am set in may to take my MCAT. I have currently purchased the q packs and section banks as well as the 4 AAMC practice tests. (1 non scaled, then the 3 FL). I have been looking through the forums for about a month now trying to find different ways and when to start using the question packs ect. I was curious if anyone has any additional insight for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I am currently studying for the MCAT. I have been doing content review and it has increased my score on TPR diagnostics even though it is still very low (489) I did two weeks of content review so far and took this practice test. I am set in may to take my MCAT. I have currently purchased the q packs and section banks as well as the 4 AAMC practice tests. (1 non scaled, then the 3 FL). I have been looking through the forums for about a month now trying to find different ways and when to start using the question packs ect. I was curious if anyone has any additional insight for me?
Take that score with a grain of salt, diagnostic scores are always low. I recommend you create a schedule that works for you or try searching for one on this forum that would work for you. There are several on here with materials that go with whichever schedule you pick. Start with content review then move on to third party practice tests. Save your AAMC materials until you're about a month out from your actual exam. You could try out the unscored AAMC test when you begin your content review, to help you highlight your weak areas, if you wish. If possible watch Khan Academy (KA) videos. In addition to the KA videos, search for the 300page Psy/Soc on here and go over it as much as possible. For CARS, practice practice practice!

Reactions: 1 user
Take that score with a grain of salt, diagnostic scores are always low. I recommend you create a schedule that works for you or try searching for one on this forum that would work for you. There are several on here with materials that go with whichever schedule you pick. Start with content review then move on to third party practice tests. Save your AAMC materials until you're about a month out from your actual exam. You could try out the unscored AAMC test when you begin your content review, to help you highlight your weak areas, if you wish. If possible watch Khan Academy (KA) videos. In addition to the KA videos, search for the 300page Psy/Soc on here and go over it as much as possible. For CARS, practice practice practice!

So I have been researching for like a month and have gotten a lot of very helpful tips from this forum. As of right now I am currently doing content review because I definitely feel as if I need a refresher for inorganic chemistry as well as physics. I will definitely do what you said. I plan to really start buckling down with content review on the 1st of feb. that will give me 14 weeks until test day. I plan to stop content review 4 weeks prior to test day and start taking practice tests. So should I not use qbanks, or section packs until the month before? Or should I use those throughout the course of studying?

So I have been researching for like a month and have gotten a lot of very helpful tips from this forum. As of right now I am currently doing content review because I definitely feel as if I need a refresher for inorganic chemistry as well as physics. I will definitely do what you said. I plan to really start buckling down with content review on the 1st of feb. that will give me 14 weeks until test day. I plan to stop content review 4 weeks prior to test day and start taking practice tests. So should I not use qbanks, or section packs until the month before? Or should I use those throughout the course of studying?
I'd say about 6 weeks to a month before, start focusing mostly on AAMC materials, this way you get used to AAMC style of questions. You'll encounter a lot of different topics with different subjects mixed together in the material which you may or may not have covered during your course of studying, so its best to leave them until you're completely done with content review. Once you start practicing, you'll begin to see concepts you're still weak on or missed entirely, work on those weaknesses before going back to practicing. Do not rush through the material without proper review of each question and answer (both right and wrong answers).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say about 6 weeks to a month before, start focusing mostly on AAMC materials, this way you get used to AAMC style of questions. You'll encounter a lot of different topics with different subjects mixed together in the material which you may or may not have covered during your course of studying, so its best to leave them until you're completely done with content review. Once you start practicing, you'll begin to see concepts you're still weak on or missed entirely, work on those weaknesses before going back to practicing. Do not rush through the material without proper review of each question and answer (both right and wrong answers).

Thoughts on using KA videos as content review for Chem? I feel very weak in the subject but was told that KA is to broad for content review. I dont know if I believe this or not. I feel as if I learn a decent amount by watching their videos.

Thoughts on using KA videos as content review for Chem? I feel very weak in the subject but was told that KA is to broad for content review. I dont know if I believe this or not. I feel as if I learn a decent amount by watching their videos.
On KA videos for Chem, some videos provide good explanations some don't. KA videos are excellent for Psy/Soc. There are other Youtube videos that provide better explanations on some topics, utilize those as well. Also, look into Chad's videos for chem and physics, lots of good reviews on him.

I agree 100%, KA was killer for P/S. They are not a good use of time for the sciences unless you have no recollection of a specific topic.