Q for TX Med School-ers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amelie04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to find out more about the "perks" and "downfalls" as well as the major differences and similarities between the TX med schools. What does everyone like/dislike about their respective schools (oranization of the curriculum, location, close-knit student body or not, relationship with faculty, black mondays (do those still exist), and other general info you come up with)?

I am also interested to find out how well everyone adjusted to the first year of med school. I am well aware of the wealth of material that is covered, but what methods did y'all find that helped you manage your time so that you could still have time to eat and sleep.....and even see your families?

All comments are appreciated!

-amelie

Members don't see this ad.

Geesh, you make it sound like prison!

At UTMB, there is PLENTY of free time your first 2 years. Our classes are arranged in blocks, so you only take 2 classes at a time (one of them is 2 years long, called "Practice of Medicine" where you learn exam skills, etc - not difficult, plus the material is integrated with your other class that runs concurrently). First year, classes are in the morning, 2nd year, they are (mostly) in the afternoon. so, you have lots of time to do what you choose, whether that be study, party or see your family.

The upside is that UTMB lacks the hypercompetition that other schools have (people actually HELP each other!), and they are understanding if you have some sort of family emergency or whatever. The curriculum is mixed lecture and PBL. PBL is REQUIRED (if you dont go, you fail), but lecture is optional (like at all Tx schools). The faculty are extremely nice and helpful.

The downside is that we have no formal pharmacology class, and many of us feel that the curriculum is lacking solid microbiology (they say they make it up by doing bugs and drugs with each organ system, but...) Some of the block classes are not the best organized, but if you dont like it, it'll be over in 6-9 weeks, depending on the class, so it's do-able. Also, most of the class ends up doing rotations elsewhere due to space issues. If you have a family, you're set, and you'll get a place near UTMB> If you dont, you may wind up in El Paso, Waco, Austin, etc. There is an optional year long 3rd year program in Austin that many people want to do. 25 can sign up for that.

Hope this helps!

Star

Hey--

Texas Tech has a traditional curriculum in the preclinical years. You learn anatomy, biochem, path, pharm, etc without the integration found, say, at UTMB or Baylor. However, a course in clinical medicine in the 2nd year tries to bring together the compartmentalized stuff you've been learning. There is a block exam system whereby a full week is devoted to exams for every 5 to 6 weeks of classes. My first year was not too bad. I felt overwhelmed at first by the amount of stuff we learned in anatomy, but soon learned that you cannot try to read everything on a given subject (that is, I started to focus on material which was "high yield"--provided max info in minimum time). At Tech the spring semester of your 1st year is known to be easier, and consists of physiology and neuroscience (and a year long class called Fundamentals of Medical Practice, an ethics type course). Second year is a different story--you're overloaded with courses both semesters and it isn't uncommon to hear 2nd years complaining of burnout. The material appears more interesting and, also, there are people who will tell you that 2nd year was more enjoyable than first year.

The students at Tech are friendly and rather noncompetitive. The faculty and administration are always available for help (especially student affairs). And while it may seem that there isn't time for anything but schoolwwork, the reality is that many of my classmates find lots of time to attend to other needs. We definitely party when we want to.

Third year can be done in Lubbock, El Paso or Amarillo. Lubbock is the hardest to get so most people end up in El Paso or Amarillo. Each campus has its advantages and drawbacks. I chose El Paso because it will give me the chance to see a diversity of medical problems and to work with an underserved population. Oby/gyn and emergency are especially good at the EP campus. Amarillo is known for surgery and a laid-back atmosphere.

As you can probably tell, I am pretty happy with Tech. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Starflyr
Geesh, you make it sound like prison!

If you dont, you may wind up in El Paso, Waco, Austin, etc. There is an optional year long 3rd year program in Austin that many people want to do. 25 can sign up for that.

Star

Star,

Can you please elaborate? (I matched at UTMB and was curious). Why do UTMB students end up in El Paso if Tech has that area covered? What number of students end up doing rotations in Waco/Austin/UTMB/El Paso?

Is there a lot of competition to get into the Austin program? Can we do some rotations (3 months here, 3 months there etc) in each of the cities instead of whole year blocks?

Your post was quite helpful and informative, so thanks for that!

Mike

Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to hear from several different perspectives.

-amelie

Originally posted by Mike59
Star,

Can you please elaborate? (I matched at UTMB and was curious). Why do UTMB students end up in El Paso if Tech has that area covered? What number of students end up doing rotations in Waco/Austin/UTMB/El Paso?

Is there a lot of competition to get into the Austin program? Can we do some rotations (3 months here, 3 months there etc) in each of the cities instead of whole year blocks?

Your post was quite helpful and informative, so thanks for that!

Mike

Hey Mike :)

Many of the rotations during third year have a component where you are required to do it in some sort of outpatient setting. (Fam med, peds, Internal, etc). We only have two *campuses* - one in Galveston and one in Austin, but there are sites spread all over Texas. Usually AHEC helps with housing if you get stuck somewhere inconvenient, but still. ANd it isnt for the *entire* 2-3 months of the rotations, it's usually for 2-3 weeks per time away. Sorry if that wasnt really clear in my last post, my brain is kinda fried from boards studying.

There seems to be a lot of competition with the Austin program - at least as far as getting the *entire* 3rd year there. SOOO Many people in my class were disappointed that they didnt get it. Some rotations can be done in Austin, though, without doing the entire year there.

We can also set up our own rotations at other hospitals/med schools, I believe that there are a couple of rotations that require you to complete it within the UTMB system.

I hope this clarifies a little more?

smiles :)

star

p.s. congrats!

Thanks again Star! :)

On a related note, I find it odd that med schools in general (including the TX ones) aren't forthcoming about where you have to do rotations, especially when its away from the main campus. I find it disappointing when you don't find out about this until much later.

UTSW and UTMB both leave you with the impression that you do all of your clinicals at the big hospitals, bragging about the highlights of their huge hospitals without explaining anything about off-site requirements in their calendars/manuals/websites or presentations on interview day.

Anyway, hopefully this thread can help uncover alot of those "secrets" for future applicants. :D