1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Q for UCLA ugrads

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chef, Feb 28, 2002.

1. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey UCLA ugrad students, I want to ask a q about u guys. Thanks for your answers!

1. What is the class size?
    2. How many premeds per class?
    3. Are there ample opportunities for you ugrads to do bench research at the UCLA med school or UCLA hospital? If yes, are they for credit? What are your opinions/thoughts about your research experiences?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. El Jefe

El Jefe The Jefe
    7+ Year Member

1. It totally depends what class you're talking about. The big core premed classes (LS 1, 2, 3, 4) will be a couple hundred people strong, but as you get into more upper division classes for your major, class sizes will dwindle to 25-50 or so.

2. Again it depends on the class you're taking. The early core classes will have tons of premeds since no one has been weeded out of the bio majors yet. But in the more advanced bio classes you'll find that a lot (majority?) of students are not premeds, but just want to get into bio research. I think classes in the phy sci major would probably have the highest proportion of actual premeds though.

3. I don't have experience with bench work at the med center, but I am certain that it can be found. Most people do research in the field of their major since this will generally most readily translate into units. But it is possible to do research in other fields and get credit (usually through some sort of petition).

Hope that helped.

4. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

opps.. perhaps I didn't make myself clear - by class size I meant the size of the student body, not the size of an average class.

5. Bruin2k

Bruin2k Member
    7+ Year Member

25,000 undergrad
    10,000 grad

6. mango-a-go-go

mango-a-go-go Member
    7+ Year Member

There are plenty of opportunities to do research at UCLA. I have had a really great time with my experiences. The only problem is that you really have to take the initiative and seek these opportunities out because no one at UCLA has time to come and find you.

7. the whole freakin school is either premed or prelaw...

by second year....some people come out of the "closet" and admit they were going into medicine because their "mommy and daddy wanted them to"

then you get a wide array of applicants...going into dentistry, pharmacy and phd

after two years, they realize that they "wanted to pursue another profession" because "they all wanted to"

8. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

getting research is pretty easy. there are so many professors that just by asking a large number of them you're almost guaranteed to find someone who will let you work with them. after you do a few quarters for SRP (basically non-graded 1-2 unit things) then they might let you do a 199 (graded 4-unit independent research... your own project). so all in all, doing research at ucla very easy, but you have to be the one to initiate everything... there is no premed advisor that's going to call you to say "professor x has a job opening, go ask him if you can work"