Q from a pre-dent: how do you pay for everything during d-school?? Loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro178

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi dental students! I am a rising junior pre-dent, and I have a burning question for you all.

How are you paying for things other than dental school tuition? i.e. apartment rent, food, medical bills, car payments, etc. Do you work part-time? Do you take out loans for things?

Other random question.. Do you normally live in apartments or do dental schools allow dental students to live in campus housing?

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Loans, savings, or from your parents. At UOP there's pretty much no way to have a job and go to school. In fact I never heard of anyone working while studying there. I would think at the four year schools that would be slightly easier.
As mentioned above, housing depends on the school. UOP has limited space available in their apartment building a few blocks from school. A chance to stay there for the 3 years was given on a lottery basis, and at $1000/month including all utilities for one bedroom in a 2bed/2bath apartment, it was a good deal. In other cheaper areas this shouldn't be much of a factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies! Makes me feel a little better about affording everything.. :)

Lots and lots of loans....I also went to a state school to decrease how much I'd owe. And I also convinced my parents to help me out with gas (which I really only use to go home and see them) and some of my medical bills.

As long as you don't live extravaglently, it's very doable on loans. :)