Q: How to get EMT certification transfer state to state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InquisitiveGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question geared to EMS folks:

What is needed to make a certification from one state valid for another? Would I have to sit for the national registry exam (which I haven't taken)?

The state I am trying to practice in allows EMT-B's to intubate. My previous state of residence legally only had critical care/paramedics perform this.

I just don't want to waste a lot of time taking another class...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since the rules vary from state to state, I'm pretty sure that you have to take a refresher course for the new state plus the state exam. You'll probably have to take an additional course for intubation since you weren't taught that in your old state, but I highly doubt you have to re-do your certification classes completely.

I'd google "[state name] EMS" and call to make sure.

What is needed to make a certification from one state valid for another? Would I have to sit for the national registry exam (which I haven't taken)?

The state I am trying to practice in allows EMT-B's to intubate. My previous state of residence legally only had critical care/paramedics perform this.

Thanks!

This definitely varies state to state. Just to let you know, when I moved, I had to retake the entire class to get the license. I just said, screw it, and found another job. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are, if the state you are moving to allows EMTs to intubate, they will not accept national registry. You will most likely have to go through a state certified class. Most states do not allow EMTs to intubate.

But let me get this right: When you went to EMT school, you did not learn how to intubate because it's not allowed in your state. But you want to move to another state that allows you to intubate, and you have never been trained to do it? That is not a great idea. I would go through that state's class so you can be properly trained.

I for one would not like to be responsible to perform visualized airway intubation when I have never been trained to do so, no matter how many times I have seen it done (which is a lot).

Thanks!

Well I am a current EMT-B, got it done last december and I currently am licensed in 3 states. I guess I see a couple problems with your question because technically I dont think you are a licensed EMT-B until you take the national registry and pass. Every state I applied and was accepted to required the national Regristry. So pretty sure you have to do that no matter what state your looking at.
Secondly, I don't know any state that allows EMT-B to intubate... Which state did you take your class in? I know I was taught in my class how to intubate, but legally I am not allowed to intubate with a actual trachae tube. As EMT-B I know I am allowed to use a combitube to intubate... however, this in not true intubation which to my knowledge only paramedics are allowed to do... you better make sure your clear on the rules (we were only taught mostly to be prepard to help.)

But back to your question, getting licensed for individual states in all different. Each state does it differently, mostly its all paper work that needs to get sent in, plus a little money. However, like I stated Im pretty sure every EMT has to take the national registry to get licensed to work. Certification is not enough. Certification just means you took the class and passed... which gives you the right to take the national registry. But to my knowledge you cant actually work till you pass the national registry and then do the paper work to get the state license. (Have to look up the state information online to find out what paper work is involved for that.)

Well I am a current EMT-B, got it done last december and I currently am licensed in 3 states. I guess I see a couple problems with your question because technically I dont think you are a licensed EMT-B until you take the national registry and pass. Every state I applied and was accepted to required the national Regristry. So pretty sure you have to do that no matter what state your looking at.
Secondly, I don't know any state that allows EMT-B to intubate... Which state did you take your class in? I know I was taught in my class how to intubate, but legally I am not allowed to intubate with a actual trachae tube. As EMT-B I know I am allowed to use a combitube to intubate... however, this in not true intubation which to my knowledge only paramedics are allowed to do... you better make sure your clear on the rules (we were only taught mostly to be prepard to help.)

But back to your question, getting licensed for individual states in all different. Each state does it differently, mostly its all paper work that needs to get sent in, plus a little money. However, like I stated Im pretty sure every EMT has to take the national registry to get licensed to work. Certification is not enough. Certification just means you took the class and passed... which gives you the right to take the national registry. But to my knowledge you cant actually work till you pass the national registry and then do the paper work to get the state license. (Have to look up the state information online to find out what paper work is involved for that.)

Wow, the laws sure have changed. I took the exam in 2001 when the national exam was just starting out. I just took the state cert exam and started right away. I was given the option of taking the national exam but I passed. I was not aware that all EMTs needed to take TWO exams now. :eek: Are you sure this isn't state specific?

When I moved across state lines a few years back, I was told that I needed to take the full 100-or-so hours of EMT training to recertify. Then I could take the recert exam.

I for one would not like to be responsible to perform visualized airway intubation when I have never been trained to do so, no matter how many times I have seen it done (which is a lot).

I'm willing to bet they allow blind intubatation, like with a Combitube. Basics are trained to do this in Michigan.

Wow, the laws sure have changed. I took the exam in 2001 when the national exam was just starting out. I just took the state cert exam and started right away. I was given the option of taking the national exam but I passed. I was not aware that all EMTs needed to take TWO exams now. :eek: Are you sure this isn't state specific?

When I moved across state lines a few years back, I was told that I needed to take the full 100-or-so hours of EMT training to recertify. Then I could take the recert exam.

At least in Michigan, the being NR certified allows you to get your state license. You don't have to maintain NR after that. The NREMT website would have specifics to your area

Thanks!

Yea. Just what EMS needs. More providers who don't need none of that dem dare eduma-ka... errr... stuff. After all, things like intubation are so easy, you should just be able to do it, right? No education, nothing. Just go out there and cure with your PVC challenges!

Starts banging his head.

NATIONAL REGISTRY DOES NOT LICENSE ANYONE. THEY ARE A CERTIFICATE AGENCY WITH THEIR TESTS BASED ON THE NHTSA STANDARDS.

Certification vs licensure legal opinion piece from the NREMT website.
http://nremt.org/nremt/about/Legal_Opinion.asp

Each state's rules on licensing is going to be different. In California, new EMT-B (technically EMT-1) providers are required to pass the NREMT-B exam, but are not required to maintain NREMT-B certification beyond initial county certification (which, by pure definition, is really a license). Massachusetts, on the other hand, only counts an NREMT-B certification (NREMT-B alone without another state's cert/license) as indicating that an applicant passed an EMT-B course.

I am an EMT in NJ and you are not required to have the national registration to work as en EMT. We do not have the EMT-I in NJ. I am wondering how MD's EMT system works because I am from MD and would like to see about registering to become and EMT in MD. NJ stopped using the NR level. It is fine if you are registered at the national level, but you don't have to be.

Oh god, just realized I replied to a thread from ancient history. Well if anyone else comes here, just FYI, NR is taking over and a vast majority of the states are using them for credentialing and recertification.

You need to have your NREMT (National register emergency medical technician) and just take the state exam of which ever state you want to work at. The intubation part is up to your medical director.