This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdf2398

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Re-taking a 505? Are you scoring 510+ on practice exams now?

You shouldn't have an issue getting into a DO school with those stats.
Go to a cheaper school to avoid that tuition. Academic scholarships aren't all that common in med school - esp at osteo schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Your stats are more than fine for all DO schools (except maybe state schools for which you would be out of state). Don't put all your eggs in one basket, and hope that you will get in NYITCOM. There are plenty of great DO schools out there. Acceptance into any medical school is never guaranteed. Apply broadly and hope for the best. I'd suggest on top of NYITCOM: DMU, PCOM-PA, KCU, CUSOM, UNECOM, the LECOMs, the VCOMs, MUCOM, RVUCOM, WesternU, ACOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your response! I was actually scoring around a 510 but got a 505 on test day when I took my exam. Took all my exams in test conditions so think I just had a slightly bad day. I would love to go to a DO school - especially NYITCOM; my issue is that I heard that their median for mcat is going up from 505 although I have not gotten official word straight from those adcoms themselves unfortunately so wondering if anyone knew that and how NYITCOM views multiple mcat scores if anyone knows! Again, thanks so much for your response - I really appreciate it!
Average stats for DO school matriculants are ~3.6 cGPA ~504 MCAT according to AACOM.

I really don't think you need to re-take MCAT, but if you are truly only gunning for one school then it makes more sense to try and hit a 508+.

Personally with your stats, I'd be done with the numbers game anf focus on my PS, making sure I shadowed multiple DO's and got a letter from one
Also continue with community service and try and get a part time gig doing some clinical work for your gap year.

Good luck.

You won't get an academic scholarship unless you score 514+ on the MCAT. If money is a concern, I would go to LECOM (35K yearly) and take the 3 year primary care track, if you're okay with family medicine lol

Question why are you in love with NYITCOM, it was by far the worst interview day I went to -- to the point where it felt insulting how much they didnt care about us. Plus the facilities looked like a soviet union bomb shelter. And the students looked miserable. And the classes are SO big.

Question why are you in love with NYITCOM, it was by far the worst interview day I went to -- to the point where it felt insulting how much they didnt care about us. Plus the facilities looked like a soviet union bomb shelter. And the students looked miserable. And the classes are SO big.
beat me to it

OP - WHY?

beat me to it

OP - WHY?
Literally I considered walking out halfway through the day. I am not trying to be mean but I have interviewed at 2 DO and 10 MD schools over 2 cycles and NYITCOM literally felt like an insult. Some kid was in jeans, another kid was on his laptop, everyone was on their phones. The buildings are anciet and the railing has like SPIKES on them. It was dirty, there was barely any room for a normal sized class, and the students seemed miserable. I just honestly couldn't believe how terrible it was.

Literally I considered walking out halfway through the day. I am not trying to be mean but I have interviewed at 2 DO and 10 MD schools over 2 cycles and NYITCOM literally felt like an insult. Some kid was in jeans, another kid was on his laptop, everyone was on their phones. The buildings are anciet and the railing has like SPIKES on them. It was dirty, there was barely any room for a normal sized class, and the students seemed miserable. I just honestly couldn't believe how terrible it was.
I think this is the first time I've seen someone list this school as their top choice and I'm genuinely curious as to why

I went there. I didn't have to leave New York City is all I'll say.

Your description is like the opposite of their Jonesboro location lol.

You’re like a 45 minute at least train ride out of the city

Remote lectures at home. Choose rotation sites near home, stayed home with parents all 4 years. Save $$.

Remote lectures at home. Choose rotation sites near home, stayed home with parents all 4 years. Save $$.

Dude they have a ton of mandatory stuff... you know it’s a DO school right! You’ll have to go in for all the OMM stuff — you’ll be on campus a ton. They’re now doing mandatory small groups. Do your research.

Dude they have a ton of mandatory stuff... you know it’s a DO school right! You’ll have to go in for all the OMM stuff — you’ll be on campus a ton. They’re now doing mandatory small groups. Do your research.

"Dude" Relax. That was MY experience. I went there years ago.

NYITCOM (NY) still have a decent match list every year in competitive residencies in the NE and all over the country, so that's good. Plus some people actually would like to stay close to their family and support system, so I can see why someone would like to put it as their top choice.

those aren’t really reasons to make it a top choice but you do you

YMMV of course but, I took the MCAT twice - scoring a 503 and a 506 - and was accepted at the OW campus this year. I also had a similar GPA to you and a relatively well rounded app, including a LoR from a NYITCOM DO grad. They didn’t ask me about my scores during the interview and tbh, I have no idea how the evaluated them other than that I probably met the average matriculant numbers.

I was in the same mindset as you with re-taking my MCAT for a third time, but I ultimately decided against it and relied on the rest of my app to carry me through. Even though NYITCOM was a top choice, I applied super broadly (really didn’t want to re-apply) and landed 20 DO IIs out of the 28 schools I applied to.

Edit: I tried my luck at MD schools too, which was a huge long shot based off my scores, and landed 1 II.

The cycle anxiety is super real right now, but you got this!!

I was complete on 6/26, received an II on 8/6, interviewed on 9/6, and was accepted on 10/10. It was almost perfectly in line with what they told us for the first batch of decisions - a little over a month, which is what seemed to be the case in previous years too.

From what I’ve heard too, they have tons of waitlist movement in the spring so it’s definitely not the end of the world.

As for OP, the average MCAT goes up every year but remember it is an average. There are plenty of people who get interviewed and accepted with scores below the average. NYITCOM has a preference for those in the neighboring areas and they do weigh NYITCOM alumni LoRs heavily. If you're a local, I can see why you would want to put it as a top rank program. I've seen many of the comments in reference to the school itself, and how unhappy students seemed on their interviews and idk about all that. By no means do I think people were happy go lucky all the time but it was not a miserable place to be (when I was on campus). I only went on days I had to for OMM lab, or the required lab days. Other people mentioned that you would be on campus A LOT. That's not true for the current students BUT I do know they were shifting curriculum to be small group sessions and those are mandatory so you probably will end up on campus much more than previous classes. Medical school isn't fun regardless where you go. It's a stressful time and you are bombarded with high volumes of information with constant tests to see if you grasped the concepts. I won't lie and say I love the school. Its more of a love hate relationship. They do plenty of things well and they match great programs and specialties. Are there things I wish they did differently, ofc. End of the day, its there to provide you with a diploma that allows you to practice as a physician. If you are from NY, its an attractive choice. If you want to do your rotations and electives in NY its a good choice. If you want to do residency in NY its a good choice. 170 of the current graduating class are staying in NY for residency. Good luck to those applying. If you are planning on retaking, you can always update your application as you get your results and it serves as a reason to email academics so that if you havent been granted an II for your original MCAT, they have a reason to reconsider your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.