Qbank and Qbook and Qreview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstrangelove

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Aid is known as a "must have" for step 1 prep. What else are "must haves", on the same level as First Aid? Or is First Aid on its own level?

Is Qbank a "must have"? Is it as necessary as First Aid?

What is the difference between Qbook / Qbank / Qreview?

If you buy from Kaplan, can your school purchase it for institutional use?
Can you buy and split for use among your classmates?

I've heard of "bootleg" Qbanks--old versions in Word format. Where can I get this? Are there other materials available like this?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

drstrangelove said:
1) First Aid is known as a "must have" for step 1 prep. What else are "must haves", on the same level as First Aid? Or is First Aid on its own level?

2) Is Qbank a "must have"? Is it as necessary as First Aid?

3) What is the difference between Qbook / Qbank / Qreview?

4) If you buy from Kaplan, can your school purchase it for institutional use?
Can you buy and split for use among your classmates?

5) I've heard of "bootleg" Qbanks--old versions in Word format. Where can I get this? Are there other materials available like this?

Thanks all.

Slow down partner. Ok, so I went ahead and numbered your questions as I make an attempt to answer them:

1) Depends on who you ask. After FA, I'd probably say BRS path and BRS physio are definitely must haves. Having HY neuroanatomy wouldn't hurt either. There are others but it depends on your weaknesses and your expectations.

2) Judging from the fact that 95%+ of students register for Qbank, I'd bet my money on it that it's good. Students use it year after year. In fact, I just signed up Qreview. Wait. What's "Qreview?" Read on my friend...

3) Qbank= online question bank offered by Kaplan.
Qbook= book of questions written by Kaplan, sold at your bookstore
Qreview= Qbank + IV Qbank (Integrated Vignettes Qbank). Kaplan is offering a deal right now. You get Qreview for 9 months (normally 6 months) at only $399 (normally $499) but you must register BEFORE the end of December.

4) Not sure about the school thing. I have heard of people splitting the cost and sharing Qbank. Although I'd rather just fork out the money and use it to myself. Lots of people gauge their cumulative average on Qbank to roughly estimate their score on Step 1. Yet, it's not the best predictor of your actual score. Word is that around 55-60% on Qbank will translate into a passing score on Step1 but I wouldn't count on it. The BEST predictor of your score will be the NBME exams offered by the NBME (duh!) at $45 a piece.

5) There are bootleg copies of Qbank and IV Qbank floating around on the net. Check out Ebay and you'll find what you need.

Hope I've answered your questions. G'luck.

DOCTORSAIB said:
3) Qbank= online question bank offered by Kaplan.
Qbook= book of questions written by Kaplan, sold at your bookstore
Qreview= Qbank + IV Qbank (Integrated Vignettes Qbank). Kaplan is offering a deal right now. You get Qreview for 9 months (normally 6 months) at only $399 (normally $499) but you must register BEFORE the end of December.

Hey- I don't see that offer right now??

What gives?? :(

Is there a link or coupon code?

driedcaribou said:

its not offered through the kaplan website

call 1-800-kaptest, ask to speak to someone with kaplan medical and then tell them you want the 9 month "early bird" q-review special for $399.

not only does it bring the IV q-bank on top of the regular q-bank but you also get a simulated USMLE step 1 included in the deal. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
driedcaribou said:

Yeah, it's not advertised. I got a coupon in the mail from Kaplan and that's it. Here's the number to call to register for their online services:

1-800-533-8850

G'luck.

Is a 9 month subscription really necessary, because Kaplan also offers a QBank 1 and 3 month subscription for $179 and $299. Don't most people wait until the end of second year to start studying?

DoctorWannaBe said:
Is a 9 month subscription really necessary, because Kaplan also offers a QBank 1 and 3 month subscription for $179 and $299. Don't most people wait until the end of second year to start studying?

Grr.. I already signed up on Sunday. I'll call them and see if I can get my subscription changed. :mad:

Thanks for the info DoctorSAIB. :)

how about getting together and splitting $300 10 ways.
each person $30.
It's easy to bootleg the stuff in html format these days.

DoctorWannaBe said:

Why is everyone buying this now, if you can get it when you need it for cheaper?

Does anyone here have old versions of Qbank / IV Qbank to share?

drstrangelove said:
Why is everyone buying this now, if you can get it when you need it for cheaper?

Does anyone here have old versions of Qbank / IV Qbank to share?
i know where u can get a pirated version of qbank & IV qbank cheap, pm me if interested.

DoctorWannaBe said:

This thought did cross my mind. Yet, I thought why pay $299 for only 3 months of ONLY Qbank when I could get both Qbank and IV Qbank for much longer and only $100 more.

Do most people do both Qbank and IV Qbank? My school has a recommended resources list and it says that IV Qbank is not representative of the real USMLE and that the questions are too detailed and picky. So I was thinking of just doing the regular Qbank.

I signed up for QReview because it did sound like a good deal to me, and I liked that they threw in the full-lenght practice test. As for IV Qbank, i don't know how similar/dissimilar it is to the actual exam, but I think that the idea of reviewing with vigniettes like that will at the very least help me build my knowledge bank and show me where i'm weak. Even if I only use it a little, considering how much i've already spent on review books, I think the $100 is worth it.

Q

Long Dong said:
i know where u can get a pirated version of qbank & IV qbank cheap, pm me if interested.

Is anyone sharing this for free? Medical students are usually well-known for sharing everything. Anyone?

DoctorWannaBe said:

If you want the bundle deal with Qbank, IV Qbank, and the full-length test, then you should probably do the 9-month deal. Why? The 9 month period starts the day you buy it, so if you get a 1- or 3-month package now, you'll run out of time way before the exam. If you want all 3 of those, you'll probably have to pay more (or won't be able to get them all together at all) in the spring.

As for IV Qbank, most students at my school have advised against it because it was unnecessary on top of regular Qbank. The practice test may or may not be worth it. I'd go for the regular Qbank in a few months.