qbank gross anatomy - why so many q's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckerfree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are way more gross anatomy q's than molecular bio than any of the other first year subjects. I have been told that gross anatomy is typically ultra low yield for the exam.

Why? WHY!!!???!!

just curious. Peace!!

Do you think kaplan did a good job proportioning the q's between different subjects in a way that is reflective of the actual exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Qbank goes way too deep into low-yield subjects, especially Anatomy. I found that the anatomy in FA was more than adequate to prepare me for the real thing.

I honestly only remember a few questions about the brachial plexus (definitely high-yield to know it cold) and one about eye movements on my exam.

getianshi said:
Qbank goes way too deep into low-yield subjects, especially Anatomy. I found that the anatomy in FA was more than adequate to prepare me for the real thing.

I honestly only remember a few questions about the brachial plexus (definitely high-yield to know it cold) and one about eye movements on my exam.
i totally agree with this, know those 2 areas cold. i had maybe 9 anatomy questions on my whole exam and like 6 were brachial plexus and 1 was eye movements.

Again...every exam is different. But I felt that the porportion of anatomy and molec bio questions on QBank was similar to what I saw on the real exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 57% done Qbank and there have been 107 gross anat vs 12 mol bio questions so far.

suckerfree said:
Do you think kaplan did a good job proportioning the q's between different subjects in a way that is reflective of the actual exam?.
No. I had a lot more cellular and molecular questions on my exam than was apportioned in Qbank. I also had significantly less pure pathology questions (of course there were some questions that were both). Pharm questions on the actual exam were much less obscure than on Qbank. That being said, I still liked Qbank, and would recommend it despite its detractors and its growing competition.

I had one brachial plexus question and a lot of brain slices. One MRI of extraocular mm.

kito said:

In that case it would be more like 40 per exam. I count neuro (including neuroanatomy) apart from gross. I probably got a good 25 or so brain slices/pictures of brains on my exam.

Frankly, I don't know why Qbank has like 200 anatomy questions and only like 30 molecular bio questions. I just took Step 1 yesterday. I probably only had about 10-20 anatomy questions and most were major concepts like brachial plexus, hernias, arterial supply of upper body. I had a Brown-Sequard question and a Wallenberg syndrome question, which was lucky for me because those were the only two major neuroanatomy diseases that I remembered. But to my surprise and disgust, there were about 30 molecular bio questions on the real exam. Some of them weren't that bad but were something that you really wouldn't spend too much time on studying. Others were just impossible. It's very frustrating to get 1/10 of the exam being molecular bio, but that's just the way the exam goes sometimes.

i talked to my neighbor last night, he just took his yesterday. he siad close to 25 % of the questions were molecular bio questions (almost purely) and they seemed to be in the form of experiments which were hugh. he had to scroll down to read the qns.

neuroanatomy was also emphasized a lot, close to 25 qns.

come to think of it there were about 5 other "neuroanatomy" questions where they just gave a vague clinical vigneatte and had an MRI or gross pic of a brain and ask where the lesion is.