Qbank score right about now - testing in June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
dude - qbank rocks me everytime i take it. I'm taking the test on June 21st - so I've done about 100 (nonrandom questions) and I'm getting schooled - maybe averaging b/w 50-73% on them - sometimes i'm like - ok this is okay - and other times i feel like at this rate - passing Step one is going to be a pain in the ass. Everyone on this board posts about getting 70-80% on qbank and then getting like a 260 - um... what about those normal people that just want to get above 200? What would be a good correlation?

Okay - I know everyone asks the same questions over and over - entertain my request please :) I'd be so happy if you did!

Members don't see this ad.

qbank sucks. i mean, it's good, but you never do well on it and then if you do start getting in the 70s, all of a sudden you'll do a block where you get 45 or something. if you're consistently above 60% you're golden for passing. you probably are ok even if you're just at 50%, i'm not sure. but remember that it's the beginning of feb and you have four months to study. i didn't even start studying til 3 weeks before my exam. you'll be fine.

I'm testing in June, but...

There are a couple of people who have been there, done that (and I think they are a reasonable sources) that I rely upon for advice. They advised that qbank trend is more important than your overall score - your qbank scores should increase as you approach your test date. In other words, your early scores may be 50-70%, but your scores just before the boards should be more like 70-90%.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are your scores compared to all other qbank users? I'm getting 5-10% below those, usually 50-60%. I'm also taking the rest in June, but I'm worried because my qbank scores are exactly the same as they were 2 months ago.

read first aid a million times, and you'll score higher.

you only did a 100 questions. you have 2000 more to go to get an accurate percentage.

I've been obsessed with Q bank for the last 6 months. My score's started in the 50's and are now in the upper 80's and lower 90's. Although I get some questions correct due to familiarity I make sure I jot down the concept the question is testing.

Once you see associated patterns that constantly repeath themselves in each subject area, you can better predict the answer to an unfamiliar question.

I've searched the internet for as many USMLE score reports as possible of people who scored 99 and all say the same thing. "My Qbank started at low 50's then moved up to high 80s by the end." This is all random blocks, timed.

By the end, you should only click on the feature that generates all your incorrect answers. Once you go through everything you got wrong, you'll know everything there is to know about Basic Science. There's a stupid question on Bacterial transformation that Ive gotten wrong 5 times. There's no way I'm forgetting that concept anymore.

Oh and lets not forget, there's only one proper way to do Qbank. Go over the questions and answer choices to every question, not just the ones you got wrong.

Oh and lets not forget, there's only one proper way to do Qbank. Go over the questions and answer choices to every question, not just the ones you got wrong.

I must disagree. Many of the wrong answer choices in QBank cover things that are low yield. It might not hurt to do that, but there are more effective ways to use your time.

There is no one proper way to do anything related to Step 1, you have to focus on your individual needs and style.

dude - qbank rocks me everytime i take it. I'm taking the test on June 21st - so I've done about 100 (nonrandom questions) and I'm getting schooled - maybe averaging b/w 50-73% on them - sometimes i'm like - ok this is okay - and other times i feel like at this rate - passing Step one is going to be a pain in the ass. Everyone on this board posts about getting 70-80% on qbank and then getting like a 260 - um... what about those normal people that just want to get above 200? What would be a good correlation?

There's no point in using QBank for prognostication at this point. If you use it now, just use it as a learning tool.

don't want to hijack but i had a qbank question.... there is that USMLE step 1 score calculator where you can enter your Qbank score and it is supposed to roughly estimate your actual score. for many it has been fairly accurate. My question was whether the 300 questions they mention to be used for the score prediction a random or non-random?

So as I'm doing qbank, I find that I have plenty of time at the end of each block (like 10 minutes at times for doing 50 questions in 60 minutes) and I'm not even rushing, but others who have taken the real thing said that they only had like 1 or 2 minutes left. I heard that the questions on the real thing are much wordier than qbank. Is this true? The NBMA tests aren't that wordy either.

^^ i didnt even read your post but just I posted that score calculator as a main thread topic.

I'm a little rough on biostats (saving it for the end) but maybe a stats nerd here could verify its reliability.

This is a off topic question....

I bought the QBank and WebPrep through my med school and haven't logged on to see the QBank yet. But this evening I thought I log on to preview what I bought and I can't find the darn thing on www.kaplanmedical.com? I log onto my Kaplan account, but I don't see any QBank or course links that I've purchased?

What website do I log onto to start doing some Kaplan QBank questions? Only thing I have from Kaplan is an email with my Kaplan Student ID number.

Can any of you provide me the link for me to log onto my QBank questions? Thanks a bunch.

This is a off topic question....

I bought the QBank and WebPrep through my med school and haven't logged on to see the QBank yet. But this evening I thought I log on to preview what I bought and I can't find the darn thing on www.kaplanmedical.com? I log onto my Kaplan account, but I don't see any QBank or course links that I've purchased?

What website do I log onto to start doing some Kaplan QBank questions? Only thing I have from Kaplan is an email with my Kaplan Student ID number.

Can any of you provide me the link for me to log onto my QBank questions? Thanks a bunch.

If you have webprep then Qbank doesn't showup on the first screen...you have to click on webprep and then you will see the full lenth test, Qbank, and Webprep ....hope that helped

Members don't see this ad :)

Okay - I know everyone asks the same questions over and over - entertain my request please :) I'd be so happy if you did!

It amazes me that some people think that unrealistic expectations and stressing themselves out to a ridiculous degree in FEBRUARY leads ro results on step one.

You seriously need to chill out and take a step back. You are worrying about your qbank score after a full HUNDRED :eek: questions when you have over 4 months to prepare.

All I'm asking for is a little perspective.

That's a great score! However 100 q's isn't enough to get an accurate read. When you're doing blocks of 50 randoms every so often you hit a string of easy questions and get like 88%. This would correlate with like a 275 on Step1. Then the next day you get all the ones about embryology and lymphoma and get a 44%.

Ignore the outliers. If you REALLY want to know where you are pay the $40-50 and take one of the NBMEs. The are very accurate predictors of how you would do if you take the test today.

Some of you who are freaking out might benefit from just grinding an NBME out some Saturday afternoon. You will likely find out that you could pass the test if you went and took it today, so you will only be studying to increase your score.

you are starting way too early. if you have not covered the material in class or have not reviewed the material, you probably won't do that well on qbank. this is why the general concensus is to review material, then answer the questions.

So, I took a block of 20 questions the day before I was taking my block exam in the same subject. I took only 20 Q's because I didn't want to use up too many questions, I just wanted to see what Qbank questions were like on a subject that was really fresh in my head. So, I got 9 right and 11 wrong.

Am I doomed to Family Practice in Podunk, Alaska*?

*I've never been to Alaska and I'm sure it's a lovely state, but I'm a beach bunny so there are 49 states ahead of Alaska on my list of preferred residency locations.

So, I took a block of 20 questions the day before I was taking my block exam in the same subject. I took only 20 Q's because I didn't want to use up too many questions, I just wanted to see what Qbank questions were like on a subject that was really fresh in my head. So, I got 9 right and 11 wrong.

Am I doomed to Family Practice in Podunk, Alaska*?

*I've never been to Alaska and I'm sure it's a lovely state, but I'm a beach bunny so there are 49 states ahead of Alaska on my list of preferred residency locations.

Yes, because:

1. If your not hitting 90% on Qbank RIGHT NOW, you will not break 200 on step one.

2. As everyone knows, your specialty hinges ENTIRELY on how you do on Step One, rather than clinical grades, LOR's, personality, etc.

Pompacil is being sarcastic.

Anyway, I think I am going to use other question resources (USMLERx, UW, Robbins, BSS) to learn the material as I go and buy Qbank the last month. Im just going to use Qbank in random blocks to simulate test conditions, and get a feel as to where I stand because since it has been around longer than the other banks, theres a certain correlation between percentage scores toward the end of your studying and actual step one scores. I'm not gonna worry about scrutinizing the answers on Qbank because of all I've read about the questions not representing board-style reasoning and what not, plus I have enough questions already.

Now, how the hell do I get through 8,000 questions in 4 months...

first, b/w 50 and 73% is quite a big split there. One is very solid. The other isn't and is in the failing category.

I'd say to get a 200 you need to be getting 61-62% right on *never seen before* random qbank questions. But again, 200 is only 15 pts above passing, so you probably want a little more breathing room than that. A lot of people select a few areas out(biochem, anatomy) or have a few already seen questions still in there, or whatever...so whenever says they're at 78% or whatever they may be talking about a mixture of never seen before random and some actually random work.

Oh no way, I'm taking it on the 21st too! Fair Oaks, I assume?

Anyway, Qbank rocks me hard too. Seriously, we'll be all right. I made myself feel much better by formulating a plan. I divided all our classes into 3 categories as follows:

1) Oh crap! I don't remember anything!
2) If I'm not careful, I will forget everything!
3) I remember it, or I can cram it.

My plan is to review everything in category 1 sometime in the next 2 months, everything in category 2 by May, and then start with the hardcore studying after that. I'm also supposed to be doing some Qbank every week, but that hasn't quite happened yet. :p

Honestly though, even if I'm not adhering to it in a good way yet, having a plan makes me feel way better. I know what I need to do, and it's not this huge, nebulous mass of evil. I have every bit of confidence that you'll do fine. :)

It amazes me that some people think that unrealistic expectations and stressing themselves out to a ridiculous degree in FEBRUARY leads ro results on step one.

You seriously need to chill out and take a step back. You are worrying about your qbank score after a full HUNDRED :eek: questions when you have over 4 months to prepare.

All I'm asking for is a little perspective.

Hallelujah, brother!

For those people who even HAVE Qbank now, and are taking Step 1 in June: take some deep breaths. Step away from the computer. Go sit somewhere else and read a book. Perhaps a non-medical book. Seriously. Chill out.

thanks for the people that are telling me to chill out - i totally understand - i guess it doesn't help being surrounded by a classful of gunners. I like many people in my class -but to be honest - there is some seriously unhealthy competition going on - and I'm guilty of it - mainly b/c I don't want to be the idiot that doesn't know the answer. I will never proclaim to be intelligent - I will proclaim to follow directions well and do an anally good job on everything I do - this is how i got to medical school and I'm not planning on changing my level of intelligence, since it simply is where it is. But that being said - it's so discouraging to day in and day out be schooled by your classmates - it's annoying that every time you think you're on the right track - someone else has a better answer, or feels the need to tell you that they are right and that they have just done 200 q's on Qbank, or that they've listened to Goljan 2x through and gone through two copies of FA- that kind of pressure has led me to try to start studying now. I know I know - don't compare myself to others - it's hard sometimes - I want to be a normal person in my personal life, which leads me to be the quazi unprepared one for class b/c I chose to spend 2 hours having a conversation with my fiance and and watching american idol - can there be a balance?

yea - i had a bad day in small group today - can you tell ? ha ha.. i'm gonna go study for a few - then grab a big ass glass of wine and spend v-day with my honey:love:

thanks for the people that are telling me to chill out - i totally understand - i guess it doesn't help being surrounded by a classful of gunners. I like many people in my class -but to be honest - there is some seriously unhealthy competition going on - and I'm guilty of it - mainly b/c I don't want to be the idiot that doesn't know the answer. I will never proclaim to be intelligent - I will proclaim to follow directions well and do an anally good job on everything I do - this is how i got to medical school and I'm not planning on changing my level of intelligence, since it simply is where it is. But that being said - it's so discouraging to day in and day out be schooled by your classmates - it's annoying that every time you think you're on the right track - someone else has a better answer, or feels the need to tell you that they are right and that they have just done 200 q's on Qbank, or that they've listened to Goljan 2x through and gone through two copies of FA- that kind of pressure has led me to try to start studying now. I know I know - don't compare myself to others - it's hard sometimes - I want to be a normal person in my personal life, which leads me to be the quazi unprepared one for class b/c I chose to spend 2 hours having a conversation with my fiance and and watching american idol - can there be a balance?

yea - i had a bad day in small group today - can you tell ? ha ha.. i'm gonna go study for a few - then grab a big ass glass of wine and spend v-day with my honey:love:

Valentine's Day with your honey?

Guess what the real gunners are doing;)

that is why i attend class from my couch... don't have to interact with the gunners. seriously, you have to remember that quality studying is better than quantity. It is not so important how many times you listen to goljan or how many questions you go through, but how well you learn the material.

yes. quality studying is in 15 minute bites, and lots of TV interspersed .
Watching House, or grey's anatomy, ER helps solidify the concepts.
Guaranteed 80% qbank score.