QR advice!! S.OS. test is next Friday!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mango&Pineapply

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Due to being in a time crunch, I messaged Ari and he advised to take QR tests 1-10 twice instead of going through the math destroyer like planned since the QR test on Bootcamp contains the new QC questions. Well, I did as planned and the first time around my QR scores ranged from 15-18 now my second time taking them they range from 19-24.

Honest opinion do you guys believe that is enough to get my a 20+ for sure on the QR section?
Cause I'm freaking out you guys!!!!
Is BC a good representative compared to the real thing?
Is this enough?? Will I survive???

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think anything is for sure on the QR section (or the DAT for that matter), but if you've become familiar with how to do the types of problems present in 10 practice tests, chances are you've built a pretty solid foundation to work with. I didn't personally use BC's QR section but I know it's evolved over time (significantly to include the new QC-style questions which definitely appear on current forms of the DAT) and the latest student feedback I've seen suggests it's pretty representative of the real test.

Whether or not it's enough for you is hard to predict. I would encourage you to continue practicing your timing on the QR section and make sure you've got the critical formulas memorized. Have you done any other type of QR preparation aside from practice tests?

Lastly, keep in mind that the strength of practice tests isn't that their score predicts your real score - this often isn't the case. They are meant to expose areas of weakness in your knowledge, familiarize you with the types of questions you might see on the real DAT, adjust you to testing under timed conditions, and expand your approach to problem solving.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your view points! Really appreciate it!! I was able to do Math destroyer tests 1-5 but only did them once after I spoke to Ari when he then mentioned it was best to spend my time on BC instead..

Thank you for your view points! Really appreciate it!! I was able to do Math destroyer tests 1-5 but only did them once after I spoke to Ari when he then mentioned it was best to spend my time on BC instead..

Did you review the basics of the QR section at all before doing practice, like Chad's videos or Khan Academy videos?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Yes!! I did Chad's videos instead since they were less amount of videos compared to Khan. I think Chad was pretty good! Some of his tricks stuck with me and have helped me thus far in memorizing the formulas and things!

Oh Yes!! I did Chad's videos instead since they were less amount of videos compared to Khan. I think Chad was pretty good! Some of his tricks stuck with me and have helped me thus far in memorizing the formulas and things!

Do all the Math Destroyer to avoid a retake due to a low QR score. The Math Destroyer is designed for the student who wants to cover all possibilities that can be presented on the QR section. I have attached QC comparison problems. There have been many low scores in the QR section posted on SDN in recent months..don't underestimate this challenging section.

Dr. Jim Romano

Attachments

• Problems and Solutions QC 2017.pdf
    446.2 KB · Views: 55
In addition to the good advice above, as your test date gets closer, be aware that freaking out can be counterintuitive. That panic can lead to ineffective studying since your instinct will be to cover everything very quickly. Stay calm and study in a methodical manner just like you have the rest of your time.

If you don't understand a particular problem, do some of that type untimed to gain proficiency. But do make sure to do enough timed practice so you can know how to pace yourself. Finally, do your practice and study using the bootcamp calculator instead of your personal calculator.

Hang in there, you'll be fine.

You can at least do 3-5 Math destroyer tests just to get exposed to their questions. I understand the time crunch but if you can just do more practice tests that would be better. Even if it's just 1 test that is better than doing no destroyer at all.

In addition to the good advice above, as your test date gets closer, be aware that freaking out can be counterintuitive. That panic can lead to ineffective studying since your instinct will be to cover everything very quickly. Stay calm and study in a methodical manner just like you have the rest of your time.

If you don't understand a particular problem, do some of that type untimed to gain proficiency. But do make sure to do enough timed practice so you can know how to pace yourself. Finally, do your practice and study using the bootcamp calculator instead of your personal calculator.

Hang in there, you'll be fine.
Wow, thank you so much for your advice!! It definitely helps ease the stress!

You can at least do 3-5 Math destroyer tests just to get exposed to their questions. I understand the time crunch but if you can just do more practice tests that would be better. Even if it's just 1 test that is better than doing no destroyer at all.
You're right. I think I'll try to squeeze some tests in!

Do all the Math Destroyer to avoid a retake due to a low QR score. The Math Destroyer is designed for the student who wants to cover all possibilities that can be presented on the QR section. I have attached QC comparison problems. There have been many low scores in the QR section posted on SDN in recent months..don't underestimate this challenging section.

Dr. Jim Romano
Sadly I don't think I have time to do all test but will definitely try to squeeze in some! Thank you so much!

Sadly I don't think I have time to do all test but will definitely try to squeeze in some! Thank you so much!
Forget timing...all the time in the world will not help if you don't know how to solve a problem. Go through the 40 problem sets and pick out problems you struggle with, don't waste time on things problems you can already easily solve.