Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

QR Calculator. yay or nay?

Discussion in 'OAT Discussions' started by Dr_eyelien, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Dr_eyelien

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Anyone that has taken the OAT and can share their experience on whether or not its worth using the online calculator they provide in the QR section. I've heard the only way around it, is punching #'s in with the mouse.

So, what has been your experience?
    Yay or nay?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EA2006

Pre-Optometry
    I used it a ton. Sometimes it is just easier to punch it in to the calculator than risking mistakes and taking longer trying to do it in your head or writing it out. Don't be afraid to use it, but use it in a smart way. You have to practice some Quantitative Reasoning sections to figure out your personal tendencies so you can decide when to use it.

Dr_eyelien likes this.
  4. upsidedownpineapple

I used it a lot too! However, I don't know if anyone can back me up on this, but I think I figured out about halfway through the section that you can use the keyboard to type in the numbers... like I said, I don't remember for sure because I took the test back in May.

Dr_eyelien likes this.
  5. Dr_eyelien

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Wow! That's totally cool!

6. Dr_eyelien

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    That was exactly my concern! Me trying to not use it, and making mistakes in my head.. :/

7. Jalam

Pre-Optometry
    Watching Chad's videos, he mentioned that the online calculator can be slower than doing shortcuts in your head or even by pencil and paper. But honestly, I plan on using the calculator as much as I can. I know that lots of shortcuts are going to be flushing through my head and shortcuts lead to careless mistakes when you are trying to move super fast. Hearing that numbers can be entered using the keyboard makes me want to use it even more.

Can anyone give us an idea about the functions it has? (square root, etc..)

Dr_eyelien likes this.
  8. Dr_eyelien

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I wanted to ask the same!! I heard on the DAT "some" ppl have the square root function on their calcs, but some didn't. When do you take the OAT? I plan taking it October. :/ I just began studying 2 weeks ago, and I'm already going crazy about the number of things I must memorize. And talk about QR, I haven't done math in......years. LOL.

9. mng0206

Pre-Optometry
    One of my friends just took the DAT and he said he was able to type numbers on the keyboard, so I'm sure its the same for the OAT as well

Dr_eyelien likes this.
  10. EA2006

Pre-Optometry
    I have heard you could type them in, but I didn't do that when I took it. I had been practicing punching them in with the mouse, because you always hear you can't use the keyboard. I was so focused on the test itself I didn't even think to try the keyboard.

Dr_eyelien likes this.
  11. upsidedownpineapple

I watched chad's videos too, and although he does show you a lot of tricks to do math in your head, I used those tricks more in the physics section where I didn't have a calculator. However, regardless of how you use it, make sure your careful to check that the signs (especially decimal points) get entered where you type or click them. Before I figured out that the keyboard could be used I got a little frustrated because sometimes the numbers or signs I typed in didn't come in properly and I had to redo the calculation, which wasted time.

The calculator had the basic functions of adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. It also had positive and negative. I don't remember if it had square root or not.

GUCC06 and Dr_eyelien like this.
  12. ODpookie

Pre-Optometry
    I just took the OAT 2 days ago (Aug 15) and I was actually given a physical calculator that I was allowed to use on the entire test! There was still an onscreen calculator provided during the QR section. I haven't seen anyone else on this site say anything about this so I was definitely surprised. I don't know if this has to do with the fact that i'm in Canada or what but i'm not complaining! The on screen calculator does have a square root button though.

#11 ODpookie, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Dr_eyelien likes this.
  13. Jalam

Pre-Optometry
    Be right back, ordering tickets and packing up my things. Canada here I come.

14. chelle111

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I could use my keyboard to punch the numbers in but for decimals it was finicky. I practiced using this with OAT Achiever. I would learn how to approximate it will save you time from having to use the calc

Dr_eyelien likes this.
  15. PandaVol

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Haha I agree with the posters above. Use it if you think it is necessary, but in general try to avoid it. Kaplan said the reason is that when you get into a groove using it, you'll start wanting to input even the easy calculations, which, in turn will end up costing you a lot of time. My Kaplan tutor said the only time he used it was when he needed to find a square root of a large & abnormal number. But definitely don't be afraid to use it in other situations if you're mentally struggling with a calculation that could be easily solved in 3 clicks.

16. amt1209

Pre-Optometry
    I really only used it when questions asked for percentages of certain numbers and fractions because it would've taken too much time trying to figure it out myself. I also had another question that listed different decimals, radicals and fractions asking to rank them in lowest to highest. In that case it was also much easier to just use the calculator instead of doing them all by hand. Good luck!!

17. amt1209

Pre-Optometry
    You can square root! But you can't square. Its really basic and actually the exact same looking as Kaplan. So if you have seen the calculation given on Kaplans practice then you'll know exactly whats on the real one!