QR, Can you solve this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dencology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The probability of A and B complete a job successfully is 30% and 50%. working independently, what is the probability that the job is not complete? what about dependently?

Members don't see this ad.

The probability of A and B complete a job successfully is 30% and 50%. working independently, what is the probability that the job is not complete? what about dependently?

to complete:
3/10 and 5/10
if independent: 15/100 = 15% chance to complete the job, assuming they both need to complete their individual parts of the job to complete the whole job
to not complete
7/10 and 5/10
thus if they are both independent, we multiply.. (7/10)(5/10) = 35/100 = 35% that it doesn't get complete.. assuming they both need to not complete their parts of the job to not complete the total job.

I have no clue what dependently means.

to complete:
3/10 and 5/10
if independent: 15/100 = 15% chance to complete the job, assuming they both need to complete their individual parts of the job to complete the whole job
to not complete
7/10 and 5/10
thus if they are both independent, we multiply.. (7/10)(5/10) = 35/100 = 35% that it doesn't get complete.. assuming they both need to not complete their parts of the job to not complete the total job.

I have no clue what dependently means.

I believe that dependent would be solved like you solved it above. Independent means that there is a 30% one will complete it and there is a 50% chance that the other will complete it. Each possibility is independent of each other. You need to add the 2 pobabilities to get 80% and then subtract something ( i think the overlap) but i forgot what to do from here. Streetwolf will know exactly what to do. My math skills are not what they once were ...Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't count on it. I dunno what they want. Dependent is when you pick 2 marbles out of 6 without replacement. The first probability is 1/6 of picking any given marble. The second probability depends on the first event. By removing one, the probability of picking the second is 1/5.

The Question does not make sense at all. I don't know what they want either. Do yourself a favor, save the headache, and move on to the next problem;)