QR is killing me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just tried some of the qr sections in kaplan practice exams
and it was ridiculous... i was able to finish 10 question in 30 mins...
and got 4 wrong. It was all word problems and not easy at all.
Is the question in real dat that hard???? I don't understand
how ppl even finish these on time. Usually I finish science section
and pat with like extra 5 or 10 mins but qr and rc section is just
a killer. I spend like a minute just to understand those word
problems fully and then I think..... and there goes another minute...
wat should i do man... any tips would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i feel the same exact way on this damn kaplan practice pdfs. My strongest subject in high school was Math...I also got A's in all three calc. classes I took in college..yet I am getting like 13/25 right on those practice pdfs. and def. surpassing the 30 min. time limit.

I have taken 3 tests out of 7 so far and so scared to take the last 4. urghhhhhhhhhhh. This stuff just completely kills my confidence on other things.

busdent said:
i feel the same exact way on this damn kaplan practice pdfs. My strongest subject in high school was Math...I also got A's in all three calc. classes I took in college..yet I am getting like 13/25 right on those practice pdfs. and def. surpassing the 30 min. time limit.

I have taken 3 tests out of 7 so far and so scared to take the last 4. urghhhhhhhhhhh. This stuff just completely kills my confidence on other things.

I was scare myself too. Those Kaplan subject test for the math part is ridiculous. it is not representative of the actual DAT. I'd say that the Topscore QR is more representative. Don't waste too much time on that Kaplan QR. I studied the topscore and got a 18.

well, the kaplan DAT book was fairly representative. so was barron's. TopScore was too hard.

for many practice tests, I didn't finish on time. there'd be 8-10 questions left at the 45 min mark. However, if I did the math in my head, I'd finish on time.

so yea... do the math in your head.

Members don't see this ad :)
MoobDDS said:
I was scare myself too. Those Kaplan subject test for the math part is ridiculous. it is not representative of the actual DAT. I'd say that the Topscore QR is more representative. Don't waste too much time on that Kaplan QR. I studied the topscore and got a 18.

I really hope so!!!!! this thing is impossible in 45 mins. I minored in math
and got As in most my upper div math classes, but this high school
math is killing me.

I agree, I have been doing the practice using kaplan and I couldn't even finish half before time rans out. I already took the actual test and same thing, I might have 10 more problems left. I think what works best is to look at the problems that appears most often and then memorize the process to get there. My hardest part is the trig. stuff. I mean, how do you suppose to know what is the sin 7/8 equals to and the word problems, just to figure out what it wants and then figure out the algebraic form takes more than a minute already! And when working it out, the answer doensn't even match any of the choices!!! This is my worst section since I'm averaging 13 and 14 out of 30!!!

The PAT angles and folding is the hardest too but with other stuff being ok, it should balance out, but I mean, the angles are like 0.5 degree off of each other! Looking at the pattern folding alone already give me a headache. Have anyone notice that the RC section 3rd essay is the longest. The first I just breeze through, the 2nd one was shorter, and then bam!, 3 pages long before the start of the QR section. :scared: :scared: :scared:

lizjunk said:
I agree, I have been doing the practice using kaplan and I couldn't even finish half before time rans out. I already took the actual test and same thing, I might have 10 more problems left. I think what works best is to look at the problems that appears most often and then memorize the process to get there. My hardest part is the trig. stuff. I mean, how do you suppose to know what is the sin 7/8 equals to and the word problems, just to figure out what it wants and then figure out the algebraic form takes more than a minute already! And when working it out, the answer doensn't even match any of the choices!!! This is my worst section since I'm averaging 13 and 14 out of 30!!!

The PAT angles and folding is the hardest too but with other stuff being ok, it should balance out, but I mean, the angles are like 0.5 degree off of each other! Looking at the pattern folding alone already give me a headache. Have anyone notice that the RC section 3rd essay is the longest. The first I just breeze through, the 2nd one was shorter, and then bam!, 3 pages long before the start of the QR section. :scared: :scared: :scared:

what was your score on qr and rc if u don't mind asking.
i'm really nervous about those two sections.

The Kaplan subject tests are not wholly representative of the material you will see on the DAT. On the Kaplan tests, they will give you something like 22 word problems and 3 algebra, which is impossible to do in 30 minutes. I suggest, take your time in doing the problems, the actually problems do represent the type they would ask on the DAT. Make sure you know how to do them first then you should be faster.

keibee82 said:
what was your score on qr and rc if u don't mind asking.
i'm really nervous about those two sections.

My QR was 14 and my RC was 16

keibee82 said:
i just tried some of the qr sections in kaplan practice exams
and it was ridiculous... i was able to finish 10 question in 30 mins...
and got 4 wrong. It was all word problems and not easy at all.
Is the question in real dat that hard???? I don't understand
how ppl even finish these on time. Usually I finish science section
and pat with like extra 5 or 10 mins but qr and rc section is just
a killer. I spend like a minute just to understand those word
problems fully and then I think..... and there goes another minute...
wat should i do man... any tips would be appreciated.

unfortunately KAPLAN is very representative of the DAT in the QR respect.

I FEEL THE SAME WAY....... are you talking about the questions from kaplan quantitative reasoning practice test 3.... i didnt even get half way done before the 30 mins passed

I did both Kaplan subject test QR and topscore. I took the DAT and got 18 on QR which isn't great, but I'm happy with it since math was my weakest point. I'd say that studying topscore questions (algebra, exponential) as there were a couple very similar problems (exponents) on the real DAT. I just memorized the steps.

as for the word problems and permutations...I just skipped them until the end of the test. Just mark an "educated guess" answer and move on. Otherwise, it will definately take alot of time and your answer might not even match the ones given (happened a lot to me). I just made sure I had time to solve the algebra type problem first. Then if you have time at end, return to word problem. Oh yeah, use kaplan's "backsolving" technique whenever possible. It really saved me on several questions.

If you don't know what "backsolving" is let me know.

MoobDDS said:
I did both Kaplan subject test QR and topscore. I took the DAT and got 18 on QR which isn't great, but I'm happy with it since math was my weakest point. I'd say that studying topscore questions (algebra, exponential) as there were a couple very similar problems (exponents) on the real DAT. I just memorized the steps.

as for the word problems and permutations...I just skipped them until the end of the test. Just mark an "educated guess" answer and move on. Otherwise, it will definately take alot of time and your answer might not even match the ones given (happened a lot to me). I just made sure I had time to solve the algebra type problem first. Then if you have time at end, return to word problem. Oh yeah, use kaplan's "backsolving" technique whenever possible. It really saved me on several questions.

If you don't know what "backsolving" is let me know.

how do u go about backsolving on word problems???

lizjunk said:
...I think what works best is to look at the problems that appears most often and then memorize the process to get there...

I really think that this is the way to go. I am just using the KAPLAN subject tests as a way to review these types of questions and understand how to set up the equations. (I havent even TRIED timing myself)

I also think that the DAT QR is somewhat similar to KAPLAN... you just have to know how to set up these equations FAST... and you can only get there by practice practice practice.

I would go back and do all the QR subject tests again because when it comes time to take the real thing, you will know how to get through it and not be taken aback the way you are with KAPLAN.

Good luck!

I made the same score on the Kaplan Blue Book as I did on the real DAT. They seemed about the same to me.

30 on both.