Qualified job before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Duderino

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering, what options are there for someone with an MD and research experience who wants to get a good, decent and medically relevant job right after medical school? I am looking at job ads from pharma companies, think tanks, international institutions etc, but most seem to want BC/BE docs. The reason for asking is I want to try life outside of a clinical/academic setting for a year or two before I eventually do the whole residency thing.

If anyone wants to share their thoughts on this, I'd be very grateful...

Members don't see this ad.

While most of the jobs that you're referring to would prefer a BC/BE doc, they'll take you - just be proactive about it and show them that you're the best wo/man for the job. Remember that most of these folks aren't looking for the in-depth medical knowledge that you'd gain during residency - they're looking for the letters after your name and the fact that you leared a little bit about medicine in med school.

Good luck!

You could try out medical writing / editing. I don't know how much a regular 9-5 job doing this pays, but I know that if you do it freelance they pay between $50-300 per hour...

Sorry, but I have trouble understanding why you went to med school if you want to try out other jobs before you "do the whole residency thing"?!!?? You shouldn't have taken up a spot in med school if you didn't want to be a doctor.

Please consider the fact that the residency match rate is lower for individuals who have taken time off after medical school/before residency. Whie taking some time off may sound like a great idea, if it compromises your future, it may not be the best time.

Thanks!

What complicates matters is that I'm an IMG. I can't match until 2006 at the earliest, but I'd like to get a half-decent job and sort of get a feel for living in the US for a while before I take the plunge for a full four years. I'm shooting for a non-competitive residency anyway, so I figure it shouldn't hurt my chances too much (also, I will have a year or so to work on my research, getting US clinical experience, resolving VISA issues etc).

And fourthyear, your display of bent up anger and bitterness doesn't really sell the point that clinical medicine is the way to go.

El Duderino said:
Thanks!

What complicates matters is that I'm an IMG. I can't match until 2006 at the earliest, but I'd like to get a half-decent job and sort of get a feel for living in the US for a while before I take the plunge for a full four years. I'm shooting for a non-competitive residency anyway, so I figure it shouldn't hurt my chances too much (also, I will have a year or so to work on my research, getting US clinical experience, resolving VISA issues etc).

And fourthyear, your display of bent up anger and bitterness doesn't really sell the point that clinical medicine is the way to go.
Ok...thanks for clarifying things (and glad to hear you're aware of the of problems).

Your best bet may be research based. These positions tend to be more plentiful in large towns/university settings and while they don't pay much (generally) they can be flexible with hours and allow you the valuable time to make contacts, etc.

Without a residency, being BC/BE, you're right - you may be limited in your options, but I found researcjh very satisfying and it might be worth looking for.

El Duderino said:
Hi,

I was just wondering, what options are there for someone with an MD and research experience who wants to get a good, decent and medically relevant job right after medical school? I am looking at job ads from pharma companies, think tanks, international institutions etc, but most seem to want BC/BE docs. The reason for asking is I want to try life outside of a clinical/academic setting for a year or two before I eventually do the whole residency thing.

If anyone wants to share their thoughts on this, I'd be very grateful...

Without a year (or two in some states) clinical experience post-graduate (i.e. internship) you can't get a medical license to practice, so having an MD degree isn't going to be particularly persuasive. If it was, unlicensed MD's with internet degrees would be a lot more sucessful.

Without a year (or two in some states) clinical experience post-graduate (i.e. internship) you can't get a medical license to practice, so having an MD degree isn't going to be particularly persuasive. If it was, unlicensed MD's with internet degrees would be a lot more sucessful.

It is true that I can't practice medicine in the US until I have a residency, but unlike someone with a degree from a diploma mill, I have a decent level of medical competence.

Several companies (pharma, consulting, think tanks etc) hire unlicensed MDs/DOs (legit ones :)), so it's not entirely inconceivable that there might be someone who would consider hiring an IMG with a solid resume. No, wait. Maybe it is... I don't know. That's why I'm here... :)

Consulting, finance, etc. your MD will be favorably considered despite not being licensed or having no clinical experience. Several of my former colleagues in equity research went straight from medical school to seel-side and buyside with no clinical experience and no license.