Qualities that may get you into med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by relentless11, Jun 26, 2001.

1. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    I was sitting doing lab work one day for research and came up wiht some qualities that i believe would get good people into med school.

I want to run it through you guys first to see if this is indeed the case.

1)perserverence!
    2)problem solving skills
    3)communication/people skills
    4)decent grades/mcat scores
    5)extracurriculars

Ofcourse these are general things, but i think it should work. I understand that most schools, atleast the UC's where i'm applying next year will screen via GPA/MCAT scores first(which sucks!). But even though they say that the average of people getting in is a 3.8, it still doesn't mean a person with a 2.5 can't get in(its possible). People have gotten in with 6,7,8's on the MCAT's.

SO what is this all about? Well i'm just building my confidence really, and perhaps someone elses. Yes i may be on the lower end of that average when i apply. But i'm gonna do my best, get the best possible GPA, and MCAT score before i apply. If i don't get in, heck i have another year after that to make my app look better, and apply again.
    Slowly but surely right?!

Am i right?(for you people that have gotten in, or already in med school, or are already MD's)

And don't worry, i'm not gonna bother you guys with the question of "what are my chances of getting in?" followed by my stats. I'll get in.

Lastly, IF ANYONE has anything to add, feel free, also anyone with those scores above that actually got into med school, please say something. You have no idea how much of a moral booster you can be to some of us, including myself :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

One quality I keep hearing that med schools are looking for is maturity. You might add that to your list. How you show it to adcoms, well, that's a different matter.

Good luck, it sounds like you're making a good start. :)

4. wooo

wooo Senior Member

change decent to good in the #4 spot and I would even say that you have them in the right order.

Good call on the #1 spot.

5. wooo

wooo Senior Member

well...at least one of the two in #4 should be "good."

6. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nice job! Relentless :) I actually like your "decent" rather than good, because of the few and far between candidates that are outstanding in all but one area, and "decent" in that one. I think they have a shot (like you said, there are the occasional lower level applicants number-wise that get in and make phenomenal physicians). On the yahoo group OldPreMeds, there are so many people who aren't "perfect" by premed standards, but get in every year. It's a great source of reality without dashing hope. Thanks again!

7. tennischick

tennischick New Member

Relentless,
    I do agree with your "top 5" list in that those characteristics are important when admission commitees evaluate a prospective med student, however I do have a few things to add.

From my personal experience, I've noticed a slight shift in the type of students that med schools are admitting (The med schools I've looked at anyway). It seems to me that schools are tending to look for students that maintained a "healthy" balance of good academic performance and extensive community involvement/extracurriculars. Now this is not to say that these students are accepted exclusively, but that these well-rounded students are accepted right along with the 4.0 35 MCAT types.

If you feel that if you are weak in one area, (say GPA) then do your best to raise it but more importantly try to make up for it by beefing up your application in other ways. Like with various extracurricular activites and other things that show the adcoms that you are a multi-faceted person with various interests.

So don't worry! It's possible to get accepted even if every aspect of your application is not perfect. I had slightly less than average MCATS but made up for it with a high GPA and loads of extracurrics. and "people skills". Everything worked out great for me!

Good Luck and remember ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE if you set your mind to it!

By the way I agree with Jamier2 on the maturity thing.