Quality of Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imallday17

Big Fish in a Small Pond
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the life like for a MS to a PGY1 and on..... Can you do the things you did before like rec. softball and water ski, can you start your family?
I know its a grueling process, but am I looking at it a bit harshly???

I ask this bc Im preping for MS, and only have 1 class + kaplan class (maybe some others for prep purposes) left, BUT I have a really good and secure job offer with the gov't, and we all know they are over paid and veryyy under worked, with a schedule so good, it would be hard to draw it up better yourself... The money wont be over 50+ a year for a good while but comfortable living in the midwest.

Im just wondering if I can still have some of the things I love to do and still not "fall behind" in medicine (if thats possible).. Ive played sports with kids whose parents were no where to be found.. When that time comes for me, I dont want to be that guy... Am I choosing to follow the wrong dream???

Members don't see this ad.

It might be better to ask this in the "medical students" forums....we're all pre-meds here, and know little more than you about this.

Except the horror stories that you always hear...

go ahead and expect horror stories if you want to, but for many of those you hear, you rarely hear the good things. there are people with families that go to med school just fine. i read this on a different thread, but they said to not let going to med school delay other parts of your life. if you want to start a family, do it. if you want to go skiing, do it. you will find in time that it is all about balance. just make time for the things out side of medicine that you love. if you really want to be a doc, then go ahead and do it. you don't want to spend the rest of your life thinking "what if?" also, once you get past residency, you have a little more flexibility (depending on specialty of course.) i have heard of some different practices that have many people working part time. whatever you decide though, don't try to convince yourself you made the wrong choice. good luck!