quality of life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bludreamz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there regretted choosing their school/program because of quality of life or location? If you could do things differently would you have chosen another school or to apply to other schools at a later date (a round 2 or round 3)?

Has anyone felt wary about choosing a program because of QOL or location but are now glad that they chose to go? Why?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you're going to be in that area for quite a few years, so if its a great program that you like everything about except the location, perhaps once you move there you may grow to like it. But if you really think that you'll be unhappy there and that will affect your entire grad school experience, maybe its best for you to pass and apply to more appropriate schools next year. You will be there for 5 or more years, which is pretty long time to be miserable, so if the QOL or location is overshadowing all of the positive aspects of the program and making you think of not attending, then maybe its best if you don't. Waiting another year and gaining more experience can only help your application, and you'll be able to apply to schools next year where you think you'll be much happier than at your current choice. Good luck on your decision!

Has anyone out there regretted choosing their school/program because of quality of life or location? If you could do things differently would you have chosen another school or to apply to other schools at a later date (a round 2 or round 3)?

Has anyone felt wary about choosing a program because of QOL or location but are now glad that they chose to go? Why?

Thank you!

For the most part, I agree with sugari on this issue. If you like everything else except the location, you may grow to like it. While the area you live in is important, there are a host of other factors that ought to trump it. The reputation of the school, funding, the program's match with your career goals, and internship stats are just a few. Consult your advisor on this matter. IMHO, the pervailing culture of the department is the most critical factor regarding Quality of Life (i.e., relationships among members of your cohort and other cohorts, faculty dynamics, advisor-advisee relationship, and department pressures). These issues will definitely effect your day-to-day life. You will be so busy doing research, taking courses, attending seminars, studying, and seeing patients that their will not be too much time to enjoy much else. Dont get me wrong, enjoyable activities are important for a graduate students sanity and well being. Bur defining your education and career on a location may not be worth it in the long run. There is too many other things to consider.

I say all of this with 2 caveats: 1) Serious committed relationships and/or 2) Important family concens. If these two issues are not driving forces for choosing a particular location (i.e., break-up, caring for a loved one), I would focus on professional development and Quality of Life relating to the program as a whole.

Thats my opinion. Hopefully, others will weigh in and offer some suggestions.