Quality of MCAT VR passages writing is subpar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinchan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive my rant and rave. Honestly, future academics and clinician scientists, AAMC picks very badly written articles; verbage like that could never get published today. Perhaps VR on MCAT is just an ill-conceived game to AAMC. I decide to post this here because I think most if not all of you have excellent writing skills. Don't know if anyone feel the same way about writing skills?

Members don't see this ad.

shinchan said:
Forgive my rant and rave. Honestly, future academics and clinician scientists, AAMC picks very badly written articles; verbage like that could never get published today. Perhaps VR on MCAT is just an ill-conceived game to AAMC. I decide to post this here because I think most if not all of you have excellent writing skills. Don't know if anyone feel the same way about writing skills?

Yes, they are uniformly poorly written (ie difficult to read) but always grammatically correct. They are designed to test you not to pique your interest. So, yes, it is a game.

BTW, there are lots of scientific articles out there that seem like they are written by a third grader or an autistic savant fond of two page sentances. Professionally you probably should be ready to interpret both.

Good luck!

Reckoning said:
Yes, they are uniformly poorly written (ie difficult to read) but always grammatically correct. They are designed to test you not to pique your interest. So, yes, it is a game.

BTW, there are lots of scientific articles out there that seem like they are written by a third grader or an autistic savant fond of two page sentances. Professionally you probably should be ready to interpret both.

Good luck!
You, guys are right. However, we should not forget that more than half of the Cell, JBC, Oncogene etc papers are written by foreigners. The thing that kinda suprises me though the editors do not play with sentence structure. Sometimee, I feel like authors use unnecessarily wrong sentences which make the paper hard to understand.

Yea, I've found some of the passages I have read to be miserable- but they do that on purpose. It is a game of simply not falling into the trap of saying "I can't understand the passage, how can I possibly answer the questions?" I've found some of the easiest question sets come from the poorly written passages