Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I have been worried recently that not getting into a highly competitive medical school would mean the community of students would be like my old school.
I used to go to a low ranking community college but transferred to a competitive engineering school and have been so happy to be around people who are working hard and come from interesting backgrounds and are all super smart.
I am worried that if I do not get a high enough MCAT (I am at 515 average FL) that I will not make it into a very competitive medical school and will consequently be around the kinds of people I found in my community college.
Is this worry justified?
For those of your that are in/have been in medical schools that are not super high ranked, how are the quality of faculty and other students?

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

SeeYouNever

2+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm only an applicant so I obviously can't speak to the culture at unranked schools, but I honestly don't think you have much to worry about. Remember that less than half of the people who apply get into med school, and that it takes A LOT of work to make it that far. The nature of med school itself would deter people who aren't driven, intelligent, and passionate about what they're doing. Obviously there will be people who slip through the cracks, but I wouldn't worry too much about them, because they shouldn't have any effect on you and your education.

Also, just a little anecdote: In my first cycle, I had the same attitude as you, and it really screwed me up. I applied to schools that in hindsight were way out of my range because I overestimated my competitiveness and underestimated the quality of schools that aren't well-known big names. I only got one interview, to the "worst" school I applied to, after sending in the secondary months later than all my other schools cause I had gotten total radio silence up to that point. I ended up really falling in love with the school at interview day - was it a perfect school? No, it was unranked and wasn't P/F, but it was cheap and had such a nice atmosphere on campus - the students were welcoming and not cut-throat, and seemed to really care about what they were doing and loved being at this school. I realized too late what an idiot I had been, and now this school is actually my top choice because I really feel like I have a good shot, and the price is tough to beat for in-state students.

Reactions: 4 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
I have been worried recently that not getting into a highly competitive medical school would mean the community of students would be like my old school.
I used to go to a low ranking community college but transferred to a competitive engineering school and have been so happy to be around people who are working hard and come from interesting backgrounds and are all super smart.
I am worried that if I do not get a high enough MCAT (I am at 515 average FL) that I will not make it into a very competitive medical school and will consequently be around the kinds of people I found in my community college.
Is this worry justified?
For those of your that are in/have been in medical schools that are not super high ranked, how are the quality of faculty and other students?
Do I have to reach across the electrons and smack you upside the head for having such foolish notions?????

I'm at a DO school. My student couldn't get into Harvard/Stanford class schools.. Yet they're still brilliant and great people who in turn will be great doctors.

Most of the people in community college, and, in fact, in any pre-med program anywhere, don't go to med school.

So, time to grow up.

If you're trolling, 10/10

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 29 users
About the Ads
Aug 16, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Every school will have good and less good people. I know wonderful people from my undergrad in DO schools! And I know people I would never want as my doctor in top MD schools (obnoxious, cheaters, potheads etc). Its easy enough to fake a good personality to get in as long as you arent awful. But it doesnt come down to how good of a school it is. Every school will have great people and every school will have its very iffy people

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
May 16, 2020
Somewhere in New England
Status
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
Also remember, even the "non-competitive" schools have good average GPA and MCAT scores. The stats for the M1 class at my home-state school are about 3.8/513. You won't meet a lot of dummies in any med school.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

MyOdyssey

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2015
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Is this a “dating in medical school” question in disguise?

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
Is this a “dating in medical school” question in disguise?
i mean, we did have a question like that a little while ago - dating one. I mean, we are all people, a lot of us want to have some sort of relationships in our lives. Nothing wrong about asking :))

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
The vast majority of medical students recognize how much work is required to get through. Even the students who aren't "gunners" and are happy with primary care will spend 6+ hours a day studying. While people at Harvard Med might be harder workers (or rather, were harder workers in undergrad), you won't be in an environment where you'll feel like you're the only one grinding.

You should want to get a high MCAT because it will make applying to medical school easier. Not because you want to avoid lesser quality students at lower tier medical schools.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

• Love
Jul 22, 2020
Status
  1. Non-Student
Do I have to reach across the electrons and smack you upside the head for having such foolish notions?????

I'm at a DO school. My student couldn't get into Harvard/Stanford class schools.. Yet they're still brilliant and great people who in turn will be great doctors.

Most of the people in community college, and, in fact, in any pre-med program anywhere, don't go to med school.

So, time to grow up.

If you're trolling, 10/10

This is so HANDS DOWN FALSE. Many many students capable of going to medical school started off at community colleges. I am one of them that did this before going to college, and medical school and later a graduate program that was harder than med school.

I knew someone from college that was from a gang. He straightened himself up: he went to a community college first and later went to a university to get an engineering degree with an outstanding GPA.

This is why it is very bad to make assumptions about people because of where they are studying or what job someone has. You just never know.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Wow
Jun 17, 2019
This is so HANDS DOWN FALSE. Many many students capable of going to medical school started off at community colleges. I am one of them that did this before going to college, medical school and later a graduate program that was harder than med school.

Just like you could have very very brilliant people that never went to college and therefore never pursued medicine. But, it sure doesn't mean they couldn't have.

Goro is not insinuating that the people in community college are stupid (because they most certainly aren't), but rather the statistic that the majority of people who identify as "pre-med" end up in careers outside of medicine

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Sep 17, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
This is so HANDS DOWN FALSE. Many many students capable of going to medical school started off at community colleges. I am one of them that did this before going to college, medical school and later a graduate program that was harder than med school.

Just like you could have very very brilliant people that never went to college and therefore never pursued medicine. But, it sure doesn't mean they couldn't have.

That wasn't what Goro was saying though

• Love

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
  1. Non-Student

Stop projecting. I was referring to the vast majority of pre-meds who never finish that track; much less those 60% of kids who apply and fail to get in.

That's why they have a CARS section on the MCAT!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

Isoval

I'm a little bit up the totem pole now I guess?
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
Status
  1. Medical Student
Even the worst medical schools in the country don't have [an abundance of] dumb people in them.

In a lot of regards, it's a common thought that it's more difficult to gain admission into even the worst medical schools in the US than it is to gain admission into, say, Harvard or Stanford for undergraduate studies.

The bar is much, much higher for medical school. Everyone here is the top of the top of the top. Going to the worst medical school in the country means you're at the bottom of the top of the top of the top.

Even a 501 MCAT is like top 40% of people who made it to that phase of premed.

I'd lose that thought.

• Love
About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status
  1. Academic Administration
The majority of pre-meds don't get admitted to medical school.
Most (the majority of) pre-meds at community colleges don't get into medical school.
The majority of people who take the MCAT don't get into medical school.

This is not to say that no one gets into medical school but it recognizes that less than half of the people in the pools referenced above get admitted to medical school.

It is true that the CARS is the CARS because some people struggle with reading comprehension and analytical thinking and it is important to identify them.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
This is so HANDS DOWN FALSE. Many many students capable of going to medical school started off at community colleges. I am one of them that did this before going to college, and medical school and later a graduate program that was harder than med school.

I knew someone from college that was from a gang. He straightened himself up: he went to a community college first and later went to a university to get an engineering degree with an outstanding GPA.

This is why it is very bad to make assumptions about people because of where they are studying or what job someone has. You just never know.
@Goro doesn’t troll. He’s faculty at a med school and on the ADCOM for the med school! You’ve been here about 3 weeks. Calm down!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
D

deleted987519

Trust me dawg you DONT want a peasant like me as your classmate. T20 or bust

• Haha
  • Love

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Not sure how him saying the majority of “premeds” never make it to med school is a knock on community college... but okay.

• Love

Tyrese

Ty Guy, Oh My!
Jun 3, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Dude, the "quality of people" in your community college ranges far more and are varied than the types you will find in most medical schools. This is an incongruent comparison; a false equivalency. Essentially, you get put through a "sieve" during the application process. (if you're not fit per the school(s) you're applying, you get rejected.) Medical schools are professional schools, don't forget that. It's not a community college that accepts walk-ins.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Is this worry justified?
So where to start-does this mean if you don’t get into a “highly competitive” med school you’ll change careers because you might have to attend class with students not as smart or as hard working as you perceive yourself? You really have no idea at the intellectual abilities of med students. So far this year, I think I read, that around 30,000 complete applications have been submitted. Historically, only around 42% of all applicants are accepted at all. Of this 42% about half are accepted by one school. So that means almost 60% of all applicants are outright rejected. This includes applicants with stellar applications. So instead of worrying about getting into a highly competitive school so you are intellectually challenged you should be worrying about getting accepted at all. You’ll be plenty challenged and all schools are competitive. But first you have to decide if you really want to be a doctor and then do what you have to get that acceptance!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Is this worry justified?
Sure, the people at the tippy top schools do tend to be more accomplished than the rest, but, as has been said repeatedly here, it's really tough to get into any med school, and the people as a whole at all of them are pretty damn smart.

Bottom line -- you have nothing to worry about. The odds are high that the people at whatever school(s) you get into will be just like you, so you'll fit in perfectly. Why would you think you are any better than the other students from your community college who got into med school?

(By the way, that's the trolly part of your post. You are a community college grad, your MCAT looks like it's going to barely be above the median for accepted MD applicants, and you're worrying about the "quality" of your prospective fellow students, when you statistically have a 60% chance of wondering why you weren't accepted after your cycle is over rather than finding yourself surrounded by the "kinds of people [you] found in [your] community college." If your "worry" is apparent in your interviews, you'll really have something to "worry" about.)

Last edited:
  • Love

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Is this worry justified?
After reading this thread, I just wanted to say that if you feel it would be beneath you somehow whether intellectually or otherwise that not going to a top school Will impact your own satisfaction with the educational experience, Please don’t apply to medical school. As a practicing physician you will find the majority of your patients are going to be either intellectually, educationally, or perhaps even socially somehow below your level. This is simply due to the selectivity and competitiveness in which it takes to get intoMedical school. These are the patients that you will have to treat Day and day out with kindness respect and empathy. Yet you can’t even imagine Having classmates in a medical school who are somehow Beneath you. You don’t seem to have any of the awareness necessary to be a caring and kind physician. You started engineering why don’t you just become an engineer. I get the feeling that Will be the best thing that you can do in medicine

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
May 26, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
if you feel it would be beneath you somehow whether intellectually or otherwise that not going to a top school Will impact your own satisfaction with the educational experience, Please don’t apply

you can’t even imagine Having classmates in a medical school who are somehow Beneath you.

You don’t seem to have any of the awareness necessary to be a caring and kind physician.

You started engineering why don’t you just become an engineer. I get the feeling that Will be the best thing that you can do in medicine

I'm finding out so many new facts about myself today!!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
May 16, 2020
Somewhere in New England
Status
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
Maybe biomedical engineering would be a good fit? Working with smart people to create devices for the benefit of patients?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
D

deleted804295

Is this worry justified?
I'm so confused.

The median MCAT for matriculating students into medical school is at the 80th percentile meaning your average med student is scoring higher than 80 percent of their peers.

I'll let that answer your question. Goodluck on the 515+ though.

D

deleted804295

Simmer down and go read what he said again. Most of the premeds who go to any school- community college or not- do not get into medical school. 60% of people who apply do not get in.

• Love
Jul 22, 2020
Status
  1. Non-Student
Stop projecting. I was referring to the vast majority of pre-meds who never finish that track; much less those 60% of kids who apply and fail to get in.

That's why they have a CARS section on the MCAT!

I'm not projecting. If you look at it another way, many people never finish what they say they are going to do for a career. I've had classmates whom were mathematics majors and weren't good enough to get a doctorate in it; a woman who is now a doctor REALLY WANTED to be an engineer, but she could not understand the mathematics to get into the engineering program. She kept doing poorly; therefore, she gave up on engineering. She came from a family of engineers. But, she was able to satisfy the premed requirement for math and had become a doctor.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
  1. Non-Student
I'm not projecting. If you look at it another way, many people never finish what they say they are going to do for a career. I've had classmates whom were mathematics majors and weren't good enough to get a doctorate in it; a woman who is now a doctor REALLY WANTED to be an engineer, but she could not understand the mathematics to get into the engineering program. She kept doing poorly; therefore, she gave up on engineering. She came from a family of engineers. But, she was able to satisfy the premed requirement for math.
And your point? You still don't seem to understand my post, despite multiple explanations Just let it go already.

Jul 22, 2020
Status
  1. Non-Student
To everyone else, I know Goro is a member of the admissions committee.

I am also one of those that did not get into a physician assistant program, but I got into medical school and completed it and later went to get a doctorate in Geophysics.

• Hmm
  • Okay...
May 26, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Instead of continuing with drama, let's reflect on how we can define and build healthy relationships in our personal lives
Thanks to those of you that, when replying, generated constructive responses that were made with intent to do no harm.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads