Quality of teaching during Core Medical Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Talal Abdullah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m currently considering pursuing my postgraduate medical training in UK. It took me a reasonable portion of time to fully understand the postgraduate medical education structure in UK. But in fact, I’m left with one concern. It is about the quality of teaching and education for CT1 and CT2 trainees.

All the online data (youtube, blogs, ... etc) speaks about the duties (discharges, filling charts, clerking) and the list goes on for the well-known service-related tasks.

To make my concern clear. Does CT1 trainee do his round independently in early morning to get a sufficient time to examine and following up the patient prior to round? And if yes, does he usually present the patient’s data during the round?

The other question is, how do you describe the teaching during round? Is it done on a daily basis? I’m concerned that CT1/CT2 years are spent chiefly on doing service-related stuff without an appropriate teaching opportunities.

What about teaching medical students and Foundations trainees? Is that a common practice and feasible?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Regards,

Members don't see this ad.