Quality of Undergraduate Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxj5069

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entering my junior year and I've just declared my major as Psychology (BA, only one offered) this past semester. For this reason, I don't have much experience; however, I just obtained a research assistant position at a lab I'll be required to commit to for at least a year! Super excited to start. My work will mostly be involved in cognitive neuroscience (substance abuse, emotion, behavior, cognitive and motivational processes). The thing I've been thinking about lately is the relevance of my research to graduate school for Clinical Psychology. Is it better to find research that directly relates to clinical? Or is cognitive good?

I only have about two years of school left and I want to find quality research work over quantity. Therefore, I'm going to commit to my work instead of trying to get involved in a ton of different labs without delving into the subject. I love my mentor and culture at the lab I'll be working in, a lot of support and exposure to the field of Health Psychology and Clinical Psychology, as the lab director is a Clinical Psychologist himself. If I do stick around the lab, I'll have opportunities to apply to scholarships, become published and attend conferences to present in Norcal (Northern California, fyi). While the position requires me to commit a year, I want to stay longer until I graduate if possible. Around this time, I plan to find one or two research positions around campus probably in cognitive neuroscience labs, even write an honors thesis by graduation. My summers will be mostly committed to working at the lab as well.

If everything goes as planned, I'll have about 2-3 research experiences as an undergrad, with hopefully at least a publication and the chance to present at conference(s). My ultimate goal is to obtain my PhD in Clinical Psychology, as I want to research on cognitive processes and the method of mindfulness. I have a 3.5 GPA, will probably go up to 3.6 by graduation. I have yet to take the GRE, but assuming it's decent (1200), with letters of rec, would I be prepared for grad school in Clinical Psychology? I was also thinking about taking 1-2 years off after graduation to work as a research assistant, but that's a BIG maybe if I don't get into any programs. Just need a bit of words of wisdom from all of you dedicated folks in this site. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm entering my junior year and I've just declared my major as Psychology (BA, only one offered) this past semester. For this reason, I don't have much experience; however, I just obtained a research assistant position at a lab I'll be required to commit to for at least a year! Super excited to start. My work will mostly be involved in cognitive neuroscience (substance abuse, emotion, behavior, cognitive and motivational processes). The thing I've been thinking about lately is the relevance of my research to graduate school for Clinical Psychology. Is it better to find research that directly relates to clinical? Or is cognitive good?

I only have about two years of school left and I want to find quality research work over quantity. Therefore, I'm going to commit to my work instead of trying to get involved in a ton of different labs without delving into the subject. I love my mentor and culture at the lab I'll be working in, a lot of support and exposure to the field of Health Psychology and Clinical Psychology, as the lab director is a Clinical Psychologist himself. If I do stick around the lab, I'll have opportunities to apply to scholarships, become published and attend conferences to present in Norcal (Northern California, fyi). While the position requires me to commit a year, I want to stay longer until I graduate if possible. Around this time, I plan to find one or two research positions around campus probably in cognitive neuroscience labs, even write an honors thesis by graduation. My summers will be mostly committed to working at the lab as well.

If everything goes as planned, I'll have about 2-3 research experiences as an undergrad, with hopefully at least a publication and the chance to present at conference(s). My ultimate goal is to obtain my PhD in Clinical Psychology, as I want to research on cognitive processes and the method of mindfulness. I have a 3.5 GPA, will probably go up to 3.6 by graduation. I have yet to take the GRE, but assuming it's decent (1200), with letters of rec, would I be prepared for grad school in Clinical Psychology? I was also thinking about taking 1-2 years off after graduation to work as a research assistant, but that's a BIG maybe if I don't get into any programs. Just need a bit of words of wisdom from all of you dedicated folks in this site. Thank you so much!

Hey if you make it out with a publication and presentations at a conference(s) to accompany a 3.6 GPA and acceptable GRE scores you should be very competitive. Worry less and spend more time making sure those things happen.

Reactions: 1 user